Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

[ViX_Misc] Can't rewind timeshift using remote stream/fallback tuner

realdannys

New member
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thought it best to make a new, concise thread for this specific issue.

For months now my VU+ Zero has not rewound in timeshift. It pauses and unpauses just fine. As soon as you press rewind it effectively just exits as if you've pressed stop.

This has happened for me on multiple versions of 3.2, 4.0 and now 4.1. I did a fresh flash of 4.1 from USB stick. I've tried with and without settings restore.

Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.

Having tried all that i'm quite sure its not USB stick related for that reason and because it DID work with the USB stick that its used at one point. In fact at the very start timeshift used to work even when I mounted my Duo2's hard drive to it vis NFS and use that as the timeshift device. That also no longer works, so there must be something else somewhere.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times.

It terms of settings they are default except I have save when channel zap turned to off (so it basically functions exactly like it does on Sky +) and of course the location set to wherever it should be.

I also don't have any plugins installed except the ones that come stock with the images.

View attachment Enigma2-2016-04-21_15-28-04.log
 
Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > Do you have timeshift enabled?

Yes of course, starts automatically after 10 seconds. But even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewind (thats the way it works on the Duo 2) the automatic setting isn't "enabling" timeshift, its just making it automatically start recording/caching the channel you're on so you can rewind at any point. In my testing, i'm not even trying to rewind after watching a show for a certain amount of time - i'm trying a much more simple "Pause for a while, un pause, allow to play for a minute or so and try to rewind" It doesn't rewind, it just acts like I pressed play again (eg stutters and carrys on playing).

But yes, of course i've also tried just rewinding in real time as the timeshift should have automatically kicked in, but of course that doesn't work.

Incidentally - rewinding and fast forwarding works fine with recordings streaming from the Duo 2.

I have of course searched the forums and found a few people with a similar bug, but these were years ago and most seem to reside with drivers at the time which shouldn't be affecting me now.
 
Last edited:
Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said 3 different sticks in the first post.

Id rather not use a HDD just for timeshift if possible, especially as it was working just fine with a stick originally. I doubt i've got any spare spinning disks either and id rather use SSD so its silent anyway. I think i've got a spare SSD laying around I could use to test. Anything a bit more substantial/advanced to try though as I'm pretty sure its not the media in question.
 
Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshift, had similar with other boxes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshit, had similar with other boxes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, well for arguments sake I just tried it with a 2TB hard drive and exactly the same happens - as I said, its nothing to do with the media in question, there is something wrong somewhere in the code - but how to fix it??
 
Can you just confirm something, are you using the Zero with no signal wire and using fallback tuner?
 
Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.
A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times.
That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:
< 225.521> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
< 225.522> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
which is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:
DVBTSTools] findFramee getStructureEntryFirst failed
< 1187.900> [eDVBChannel] frame skipping failed, reverting to byte-skipping
< 1187.901> [eDVBChannel] we are at 18446744073709027472, and we try to find the iframe here:
That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.
 
Last edited:
A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:
which is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:
That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.

Thanks Birdman, some useful input on things there. I am yes aware naming the USB stick as /media/hdd doesn't make it behave like a hard disk - I'm laying out all the ways its been mounted, just in case someone comes along with the daft suggestion "try it mounted as /media/hdd" which was probably coming next.

What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug. The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)
 
even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewind
No. If timeshift is not auto you cannot rewind to a point before when you first pressed the pause button.
 
What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug.
However, from what I can see in the log it does actually crash. The GUI restarts - is that correct?

The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)
Well, you have reported it, but being able to fix it depends on it being reproducible by someone who can.
I don't have a fallback tuner (and only have a vague idea of what that might be).
 
Just to add to this, i have a box with its own hard drive running on remote stream channel converter and i had to disable timeshift on it, trying to use timeshift caused the box to freeze and crash as though it was trying to use the hard drive of the source box, even though timeshift was set to internal mounted hard drive, providing the box with it's own feed immediately stopped this from happening.
 
Well, I can see something which may get us closer to finding the source of the problem.

When you initiate the rewind your log shows:

< 225.322> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward -8
< 225.323> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -8
< 225.324> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
< 225.325> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
< 225.326> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -720000:90000, bitrate is -1 bit/s
< 225.327> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -524288 524288
(have you changed the FF/FR settings - I go through x2, x4 before I get to x8?).
Whereas I get
< 274.904> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -2
< 274.905> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -180000:90000, bitrate is 4130631 bit/s
< 274.905> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -636788 524288

You don't seem to have a bitrate set.
 
No. If timeshift is not auto you cannot rewind to a point before when you first pressed the pause button.

At no point in my description did I suggest you can - I do understand how timeshift works. You should be able to rewind back to the point you paused though - that is what I cannot do.
 
Well, I can see something which may get us closer to finding the source of the problem.

When you initiate the rewind your log shows:


(have you changed the FF/FR settings - I go through x2, x4 before I get to x8?).
Whereas I get


You don't seem to have a bitrate set.


Hey Birdman,

To address some of your previous questions - no there's no actual crash or restart when I press rewind. It acts like I just press played again, sort of skips a little bit then carries on playing real time. The fallback tuner setting just means when it can't tune in to anything on the channel it starts streaming from the box you put in the customise settings (eg my box with the actual tuners on)

So RE the bitrate - where and how do we fix this? If its not something I can hack into the information somewhere then it appears you've found the bug - streaming from the fallback tuner is not setting the bitrate. However it did used to work at some point back on 3.2 about 5-6 months ago. I wish I knew which update caused it to stop working.

I thought you'd cracked there Birdman - I had indeed changed my initial speeds to from x2 to x8 as I found x2 and x4 too slow. I've just set it back to x2 for both again, but no luck - same problem (presumably with bit rate) happens again.
 
Last edited:
I don't think any of the testers have tried timeshift on a remote stream/fallback tuner.
 
I don't think any of the testers have tried timeshift on a remote stream/fallback tuner.

Surely if this happened on all boxes lots of people would have noticed by now though - I would have thought a lot of people with the VU+ Zero are using it as a tuner-less second box in bedrooms etc?

Its beginning to look more and more likely that this was broken at some point during development and no one noticed I guess.
 
Just to show, I tried it at x2 speed, and same bitrate error as Birdman found in debug log.

Code:
<   165.905> [ActionMap] InfobarSeekActionsPTS seekBack
<   165.907> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
<   165.909> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward -2
<   165.910> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -2
<   165.911> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
<   165.912> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
<   165.913> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -180000:90000, bitrate is -1 bit/s
<   165.914> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -524288 524288
<   165.915> [eDVBChannel] flush pvr
<   165.917> [eFilePushThread] waiting for pause
<   165.918> [eFilePushThread] PAUSED
<   165.955> [eDVBAudio0] AUDIO_CLEAR_BUFFER ok
<   165.999> [eDVBVideo0] VIDEO_CLEAR_BUFFER ok
<   166.011> [eDVBChannel] done
tion] getStructureEntryFirst failed because file size is zero
<   166.012> [eDVBTSTools] findFramee getStructureEntryFirst failed
<   166.013> [eTSMPEGDecoder] decoder state: trickmode, vpid=1644, apid=1645
<   166.014> [eDVBChannel] we are at 18446744073709027472, and we try to find the iframe here:
<   166.016> [eDVBAudio0] AUDIO_STOP  getStructureEntryFirst failed because file size is zero
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top