Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

swapfile not activating

  • Thread starter Thread starter nairbstrebor
  • Start date Start date
N

nairbstrebor

Guest
swapfile not activating, apollo 160 and latest bootloader loaded on board, followed the
correct proceedure after reboot it's still not active... any thoughts on this, it worked on previous
apollo versions thanks in advance..
 
You really should not need a swap file with the Nano 2 super, it is just as powerful as the solo2, all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.
 
You really should not need a swap file with the Nano 2 super, it is just as powerful as the solo2, all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.

Excellent, thank you very much
 
...all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.
Difficult to see why it should slow anything down. It will only be used if it is needed - and if it is needed then without it you'd get a crash (or hang).

I have one (and it's activated OK). It has just 36kB in use (which gets allocated very early on). I'd rather use up 0.025% of my HD space "just in case".
 
I have one (and it's activated OK). It has just 36kB in use (which gets allocated very early on). I'd rather use up 0.025% of my HD space "just in case".

Still no need for it on a box that doesn't need it.
 
Difficult to see why it should slow anything down. It will only be used if it is needed - and if it is needed then without it you'd get a crash (or hang).

I have one (and it's activated OK). It has just 36kB in use (which gets allocated very early on). I'd rather use up 0.025% of my HD space "just in case".

The receivers own internal flash is always going to be faster than using a swap file on external media especially a optical HDD that has to spin up first.


Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
 
The receivers own internal flash is always going to be faster than using a swap file on external media especially a optical HDD that has to spin up first.
An optical HDD?

The spin-up would only happen once if swap were being actively used. And I'd prefer not to wear out the (non-replaceable) internal flash.

And, FWIW, I've just timed the read speed of my internal flash vs. my internal HDD (which is probably more relevant than the writes, which would be asynchronous)

  • The internal HDD (ext4) managed 91MB/s
  • The internal flash (ubifs) only managed ~2.5MB/s (on one 250MB file)
and in the process the messages log shows some fixable bit-flips on the flash, and also scrubbed 2 locations. Which is why I wouldn't want to use it for a swap file.
 
An optical HDD?

The spin-up would only happen once if swap were being actively used. And I'd prefer not to wear out the (non-replaceable) internal flash.

Surely the swap file only comes into use if you need more RAM (DDR)? Ideally the (slow) flash memory should only be used for the data that needs to be stored whilst the power is off.
 
An optical HDD?

The spin-up would only happen once if swap were being actively used. And I'd prefer not to wear out the (non-replaceable) internal flash.

And, FWIW, I've just timed the read speed of my internal flash vs. my internal HDD (which is probably more relevant than the writes, which would be asynchronous)

  • The internal HDD (ext4) managed 91MB/s
  • The internal flash (ubifs) only managed ~2.5MB/s (on one 250MB file)
and in the process the messages log shows some fixable bit-flips on the flash, and also scrubbed 2 locations. Which is why I wouldn't want to use it for a swap file.
Go ahead with your unneeded swapfile so.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top