Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Cannot install wireless lan adapter since Apollo 025

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install wireless lan adapter since Apollo 025

Title
    Thanks

Question Cannot install wireless lan adapter since Apollo 025

Since Apollo 025 I cannot use my wireless adapter anymore (I am now on Apollo 028). I even bought a second adapter with a different chipset but the same problem occurs.
    My original adapter has a Ralink 5370 chipset and used to work with the RT3070 drivers (I have been advised to use the RT2800 driver but same problem).
    Basically when I go to network settings I do NOT get a choice of which adapter to use.
    My new adapter has a Ralink 8188CU chipset and I tried using the rtl8192cu drivers which does mention support for that chipset.
    The box does show the correct device ids when I use lsusb command:
    148f:5370 and 0bda:8176.

I did reboot after installing the drivers but whatever I try the network configuration setup menu will not let me choose a WLAN adapter
    Anybody any suggestions?

Title
    Thanks

wireless adapter not working

Quote Originally Posted by Toine View Post
    Since Apollo 025 I cannot use my wireless adapter anymore (I am now on Apollo 028). I even bought a second adapter with a different chipset but the same problem occurs.
    My original adapter has a Ralink 5370 chipset and used to work with the RT3070 drivers (I have been advised to use the RT2800 driver but same problem).
    Basically when I go to network settings I do NOT get a choice of which adapter to use.
    My new adapter has a Ralink 8188CU chipset and I tried using the rtl8192cu drivers which does mention support for that chipset.
    The box does show the correct device ids when I use lsusb command:
    148f:5370 and 0bda:8176.

I did reboot after installing the drivers but whatever I try the network configuration setup menu will not let me choose a WLAN adapter
    Anybody any suggestions?

same problem as above cant get any drivers to work any help
    Last edited by ace5; 02-09-14 at 20:06.

Title
    Thanks
    Using the ferguson wo3 ..was working fine until upgrade went back to a apollo 24 restored backup but still not working ..

Title
    Thanks
    Same problem here, but on apollo 37, updated from 22 and using a new GigaBlue HD Quad Plus. Made several cold boots to fix, no results.
    I would not want to go back to earlier version because of some other improved functions and bug fixes. So help needed

Title
    Thanks

Please fix wireless adapter drivers

Have been trying every official release since 024, still the same problem on Apollo 037! This is becoming very frustrating...

Title
    Thanks
    I had the same problem on a Gigablue Quad, I think it was Apollo 26, I gave up and used home plugs in the end

Also, cannot go back to older version because the feeds are not working for older versions (pre 32), only upgraded a week or so ago as well
    Last edited by cardomons; 18-09-14 at 16:19.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Without saying how you have tried to install the drivers and what errors were encountered, nothing can be done.

Title
    Thanks
    Any pointers what people can look out for in the log files/configuration as to when the wireless adapter menu will show. I did have a look in the logs but couldn't see anything. The adapter was working on a previous Vix 3.0 version (very old build). I don't have the box anymore but maybe for future reference or for the other people reporting the same issues would be useful before hassling you nice people

Title
    Thanks
    Except for a few receivers. Wifi drivers are not included in the basic image. They have been left out because there are just too many to list and each one has kerenel dependencies etc. Image then becomes too big.

To install drivers for a wifi defice, you need to connect the receiver using an ethernet cable and downlaod the drivers. Driver files and dependencies will be installed, restart and you are done. You should check status of feeds before flashing an image if you depend on wifi devices. It is always a good idea to make a full image backup periodically.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toine View Post
    Since Apollo 025 I cannot use my wireless adapter anymore (I am now on Apollo 028).
    My original adapter has a Ralink 5370 chipset and used to work with the RT3070 drivers
    +1. After hours of attempts to sort out previous working wifi with 2 adapters, I've moved to OpenMips 4.2 which picked up the drivers instantly as did OpenATV.

I can understand why VIX doesn't include all the drivers for all wifi devices but maybe there is an 80-20 ratio here?

Title
    Thanks
    I am very well aware that the drivers aren't included by default. The feeds were fine and I installed the drivers using plugin,download then reboot the box. Once rebooted I would go to setup, system, network, adapter. Before version 026 I would be able to enable/disable the LAN/Wireless adapter. Now I simply don't get that choice anymore. I have tried with 2 different wireless adapters. Leaving the adapter in while rebooting, plugging it in later. Whatever I try the adapter don't seem to be recognized.
    Using the lsusb command I can confirm the adapters id are recognized by the OS.
    Maybe there is some log I can check? I suspect something goes wrong during installation of the drivers but haven't been able to find a log with more details. Any suggestions?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Wifi sucks, hard wired wins every time.

Title
    Thanks
    Enable debug logs in teh logs settings menu. Reboot for this to take effect. Default location is /home/root/logs

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Enable debug logs in the logs settings menu. Reboot for this to take effect. Default location is /home/root/logs
    Thanks, got that working and after I re-installed the rtl8192cu drivers I got my new adapter working. The old one still doesn't, but hey 1 out of 2 isn't bad

Title
    Thanks
    It seems VIX team supports the old-school-wired solutions only. Leaving wifi drivers out of the basic image is strange as OpenMIPS works fine with my new GigaBlue which installs OpenMIPS as a default. Most new receivers have enough memory and many receivers have now also built-in wifi like about any device including tv's, blu-ray players, tablets, PC's, tablets, phones... Wired world is pretty much non-existing in all other new devices but enigma2 boxes

Currently using OpenMIPS 4.1 since there have been comments from testers that the new kernel in OpenMIPS 4.2 (beta) and OpenVIX 37 has a problems with some disk drivers, resulting in pixelated playback at least with SD-recordings; noticed this on OpenMIPS 4.2 myself and revered back to 4.1. Works fine so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast