Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £129! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £179! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Editing channel picon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Martincape
  • Start date Start date
M

Martincape

Guest
Hi guys,

Some channels on the epg do not have picons. Is it possible to copy a picon onto a channel to use the same picture? As in BBC red button 1 has a picon but 2 doesn't.
 
Yes you can. Copy to PC, rename to match the service ID you want and then transfer back.

You can make life easier by grabbing a screen shot using webif while on the channel. The screengrab will be named according to service ID. Rename, copy the name. Proceed to rename the picon, you can then paste the name you had just copied. Hope that makes sense.
 
Just realised you'd replied. Thanks for that pal. Could you explain again please? I've never done it before. All it has is a loads of numbers before the .png.
 
The simple answer is that the picon name must match service reference. All those numbers are service reference.

While on channel, press
Menu > Information > Service

This will show you the service reference.
 
Couple of tips:

Picons should be saved to hard disk or USB flash/disk as they can be quite large for system flash memory of most models.

Don't forget that if you are using the Ocram Picon feed mentioned by @Rob van der Does - which has regular updates - then any renaming on your side will be overwritten by the update

As stated by @abu baniaz for your own customisation, you must rename the relevant picon image to the service name found at from Menu > Information > Service. I think you then need to restart ViX.
 
If you get stuck, these are details.

[TABLE="width: 449"]
[TR]
[TD]BBC RB 1
[/TD]
[TD]1_0_1_18F6_7FD_2_11A0000_0_0_0
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]BBC RB 2
[/TD]
[TD]1_0_1_D3AE_81C_2_11A0000_0_0_0[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

These two by Nephilim have been renamed for you. They are the Summer olympic ones.
 

Attachments

The simple answer is that the picon name must match service reference. All those numbers are service reference.

While on channel, press
Menu > Information > Service

This will show you the service reference.
Easier to use DreamBoxEdit for that: then you can use cut & paste.

Couple of tips:

Picons should be saved to hard disk or USB flash/disk as they can be quite large for system flash memory of most models.
Never ever use the HDD for picons: even the existence of an empty picon-folder will slow down zapping enormously.
I find flash to be the very best location for picons: even a small box like my ET5000 has plenty of flash available.
I always use the Ocram SHD-black-nopadding: covers the most commonly used satellites, beautiful and thanks to the intelligent use of symlinks a small package.
 
Last edited:
Easier to use DreamBoxEdit for that: then you can use cut & paste.


Never ever use the HDD for picons: even the existence of an empty picon-folder will slow down zapping enormously.
I find flash to be the very best location for picons: even a small box like my ET5000 has plenty of flash available.
I always use the Ocram SHD-black-nopadding: covers the most commonly used satellites, beautiful and thanks to the intelligent use of symlinks a small package.

When I installed the picons from the Vix feeds, it didn't ask where to install. Just automatically installed on the hdd. I'm using the ocram ones. Can I move the folder?
 
That can't be: one is always asker where to install (if several locations are available).
Yes: you can manually move the folder. Make sure that no folder 'picon' remains on the HDD (not even an empty one).
 
Sorted. Done it quite easily.

Moved picons to the USB too. Doesn't give an option to install there for some reason.

Not sure how to use dreambox edit software.
 
That means that your USB-device is not in Ext2/3/4 format. As that format is required for supporting symlinks, the stick will not be offered as location. So now you have manually moved the folder to the USB stick, none of the symlinks will work.
 
It allows me to save EPG and backups to it.

How would I convert to ext2/3/4? Would I delete partition on a laptop then mount the USB device like I did with my external hdd?

What are symlinks pal?
 
Correct: EPG and backups require no symlinks.

Symlinks are a kind of shortcut (as they are called under Windows). Using them means that any picon will have to be in the folder only once, and all services using the same one get a symlink to that p.g. This reduces the space required by picons dramatically.
Have a look in the folder when you have a good set installed (e.g. Ocram's picons) to see how that works.

You can simply format in Ext4 by having the stick initialised by the box.
 
Yea I've seen them actually. I looked and noticed they looked like shortcuts. Had me baffled lol.

Can I enable the ext format on the USB? By deleting partition and allowing the solo to initialise?
 
hi
can anyone tell me how to get all my channels back on my technomate tm500 super and hoe to add satellite cause i cant find astra 28.2
Cheers
 
Got it initialised pal. Picons installed on USB now :)

Is there anyway to create a symlink in the picon folder? I see what you mean now. They are pointing to the png destination.
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top