Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Word of Caution if you drive a new diesel

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts

Word of Caution if you drive a new diesel

Well my 56 plate Zafira started losing power and the diagnosis went from a air mass sensor to ecm.

In the end the fault was a clogged up Diesel Particulate filter, I sensed saving some money after hearing the word filter compared to the Air mass sensor or new ECM until I rang the dealer and found it costs over £800.

If you have a diesal and only do town runs you need to drive it hard at least once every two months otherwise like me you will have an expensive lesson

Wish I had know this before

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

spiv (19-08-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    ouch that must have hurt hard

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    My Alfa gets a good hammering to keep her lively
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Yup, had similar problem when first had my diesel car. Just driving down road, and all of a sudden, power went. On dash, the little yellow glow plugs was lit up. Drove home slowly, but managed to get there.

Phoned the garage up, and they told me to book it in straight away. Tried it next morning to go to garage, and started fine and all ok. Got to garage, and get a phone call telling me that it's the turbo that's gone, and will cost 1000 quid to sort.

Had a look on internet, and found loads of ppl who had same problem. And, was same thing as u said ... couple times a month, just thrash it! To this day, still using the same turbo that had "broken" (touch wood), and all still fine.

Best way I found to do it, find a steepish hill (go up and down one everyday on way to work), and rape the hell out of the car. Go up it with foot to floor and get to 60mph in 3rd gear ... just pain when u get people driving at30mph up the hill! Hehe

Sent from Tapatalk
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    and rape the hell out of the car
    you given her a name

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    I need a new car and was seriously considering a diesal but after reading your post , will continue with petrol .....thanks for the info, Stanman.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conaxthewarrior View Post
    I need a new car and was seriously considering a diesal but after reading your post , will continue with petrol .....thanks for the info, Stanman.
    No need to worry tbh. Since I been doing that, I never had any problems with it
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    An Exhaust company can cut the dpf diesel particle filter out and program the cars ecu to ignore it ,you get better performance as well and it doesn't effect the mot emissions

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hifial View Post
    An Exhaust company can cut the dpf diesel particle filter out and program the cars ecu to ignore it ,you get better performance as well and it doesn't effect the mot emissions
    I read mix views on that as some said if the DPF was fitted and removed they would fail it not that most garages need an excuse

This is going to be my last Vauxhall, this is a common issue with them and the fookers refuse to do the work under warranty, tons of post on vauxhall websites about this issue.

In my case there was no warning either.

@Conax, I would not worry too much about this buddy, just buy a decent diesel like Golf, Beemer etc

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have you considered having a petrol car converted to run on L P G at 69 pence a ltr. I have a Citroen Picasso on L P G and getting
    equivalent to 64 mpg.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    i have a 57 plate diesel astra before that i had a 54 plate diesel corsa before that i had another diesel astra and never had a problem with them at all. but then again i am a or rather was many moons ago a trained mechanic.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    oopsie..kinda hard to imagine that though

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I guess you might recognise my diesel toyota ute in the foreground of my avatar image. Its a single turbo straight six 4.2 litre (1HD motor). It goes well with plenty of torque for pulling bores and dragging machinery around. There is so much fresh air down here that there is no such thing as a 'diesel particulate filter' thank god.

I look at the specs of the euro diesels with common rail direct injection, a myriad of sensors integrated by powerful ecus and achieving wonderful power and economy and for a moment, I'm envious. Then I realise that if I couldn't repair my vehicle in the field when I'm 100km from the nearest sealed road, then I'd really be in the 'shit'. Modern vehicles are just too complicated I reckon. Done over 400,000km so far and I'm too scared to upgrade...

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stick50jr View Post
    Then I realise that if I couldn't repair my vehicle in the field when I'm 100km from the nearest sealed road, then I'd really be in the 'shit'. Modern vehicles are just too complicated I reckon. Done over 400,000km so far and I'm too scared to upgrade...
    lol i can relate to that. as i said i have personally not had any issues with diesel particulate filters but i know a few people who only use their cars for the work or school run and do maybe 30 miles a day, its these people who need to get on a motorway once a month and really open it up to burn the filter clean.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    i had my dpf removed from a 306 tdi cost me about 400 at the time past all mots no problems and been fine ever since. There is also an additive you can add directly to the fuel tank to help with the regeneration process . Think all diesel cars after 2007 have them fitted by law but you can remove them if you like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast