Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky slammed over Amir Khan snub

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts

Sky slammed over Amir Khan snub

Boxing promoter Oscar De La Hoya has criticised Sky for refusing to support Amir Khan's latest title fight on Sky Box Office.

Khan decided to switch allegiances to Primetime TV, a new subscription-based broadcaster available on satellite and cable TV, after falling out with Sky.

The move came after Sky, the UK's biggest boxing broadcaster, opted against offering his WBA light-welterweight title defence against Paul McCloskey this Saturday on Sky Box Office.

Despite the fact that the fight ended with a relatively unexciting points win after McCloskey suffered an accidental cut in the sixth round, Khan's promoter De La Hoya believes that Sky made a "big mistake" in not supporting the British fighter.

According to PA, he said: "Amir is still the WBA champion of the world. When you have 17,000 people in this arena and it is televised on Primetime, and with the bright future of Amir Khan and the fights he's going to have in the future, I believe Sky made a big mistake."

De La Hoya said that his Golden Boy Promotions vehicle would be talking directly with Primetime about supporting the new entrant into the boxing market in future.

"We have an extensive library of fights, more than 100 fighters in our stable and most of them are world champions. We're going to talk [with Primetime]. And we're going to talk soon," he said.

"I'm going to have my people here in a few weeks to sit down and work something out because they've stuck behind Amir Khan and we appreciate that.

"We know you (Primetime) want to be a player in the boxing world. Well, you have the biggest promoter in the world today right now telling you we're going to work together and that's the bottom line."
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (18-04-11),silverfox0786 (18-04-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    personally i think sky made the rite decision. the chose to opt for quality this time as no way was that line up worth the usual £15 price tag.
    the fact that khan's camp are kicking off so much just goes to show how money hungry they really are in my opinion.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    i dont think its about the money the ppv would have brought in as the primetime was 14.99 aswell

it more to do with the exposure that sky has compaired to primetime

khan fight was the first time i even turnt on primetime and what a pants channel it is
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    For me, PPV boxing in the main is a waste of money, with some results that I have seen, I get the feeling that the outcome is predefined, and worse still, it could be a one round wonder, and from what I have seen and read, most boxing promoters are money grabbers at best
    PPV for an event like a Rock band, Film, Footy, or other fixed time events is OK
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    i dont think its about the money the ppv would have brought in as the primetime was 14.99 aswell

it more to do with the exposure that sky has compaired to primetime

khan fight was the first time i even turnt on primetime and what a pants channel it is
    it was only about the money mate, they would have still gotten the exposure they wanted as sky were still going to show the fight but as FTA on sky sports 1 as opposed to a PPV event. it was khan's people who decided to go with prime time as they were all to willing to host it as PPV.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    it was only about the money mate, they would have still gotten the exposure they wanted as sky were still going to show the fight but as FTA on sky sports 1 as opposed to a PPV event. it was khan's people who decided to go with prime time as they were all to willing to host it as PPV.
    hmmm in that case yeah i agree with you it was about the money

didnt realise sky wanted it on SS1
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓