Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Passive 3D, Anyone here got one? Reviews and Experience?

Title
    Thanks

Passive 3D, Anyone here got one? Reviews and Experience?

Folks,
    With LG's launch of their passive Cinema 3D series lw450,lw550 and lw650 panels and the forthcoming release of Toshiba's TL series in May, it seems that passive is becoming more and more accessible and affordable.
    With that in mind I'm just wondering if folks here are thinking of jumping onboard with this tech?
    Personally from stateside reviews I could see myself getting a Tosh 55'' the full array LED dimming and 200hz along with the reported performance would swing this for me over the LG panels.
    So I'm just thinking we could use this thread to share info and experience on these new passive tv's

Title
    Thanks
    I took delivery of an LG 55LW550 yesterday and must say 1st impressions are fan bloody tastic!!!
    This TV replaces a Sammy PS50A556 for me and I must say(yeah I know its a 3 y.o set) but it blows it completely out of the water!
    The Black levels are excellent.
    I have experienced no clouding or banding(as yet....but at this stage if I do, I think it will be due to source)
    I have very slight light leakeage in the corners of the screen,Only on a completely black screen though (But I haven't tweaked backlight settings as of yet)
    I watched some SKY 3D along with MvA and some converted 3D and hands down easily the best, most comfortable 3D I've used in a Domestic setting.(and excellent in 55'' :P)
    The scan lines(From the passive FPR method) become visible from @ 4and a half feet....But its not like alternating black lines....More like the lines on a CRT display.
    Motion seems to be handled well, that said I will have a better opinion after the footie today Only Sport I've watched so far is golf In which the ball tracked well with no blurring/streaking.
    Any questions lads fire away if I can answer them I will.

PS
    The transparent lip on the Bezel is a lovely touch...I backlight(bias/ambience) my TV with an Apollo LED kit and it gives a lovely glowy effect all around the bezel....Looks sweet

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

bassethound (07-05-11),notanotherone (07-05-11),pooface (07-05-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    How is 3D performance compaered to watching through glasses
    VU+Duo2 5.2.025

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanp View Post
    How is 3D performance compaered to watching through glasses
    Its passive 3d as in not active-flicker type glasses mate, Not glasses free
    Its the same technology glasses as the cinema.

3D performance is exceptional, Zero crosstalk/Ghosting unless viewed from massivelyoff centre angles. From every seating position in my living room 3D is great even on stuff just converted via the TV

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    whats the ball park cost of this TV ...I have a non passive 3D Sammy at the mo ( 50") and thanks for your comprehensive post
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    whats the ball park cost of this TV ...I have a non passive 3D Sammy at the mo ( 50") and thanks for your comprehensive post
    Hi Bas, I paid €2299 (In Ireland) and Sky/LG have a cashback offer of €485 (£400 in UK) on the 55'' reducing for the smaller sizes.
    Robert Whytes have it in the UK for @£1800 and John Lewis will price match.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    thanks for your reply, and thought as much cost wise, as you are most likely aware, with 3D, bigger is better, so I would be looking for at least a 55" screen or more

the plan is, to move the sammy into another room, but in any event, it will be xmass before I can look at this seriously

a jealous basil
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

9. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

banie01 (07-05-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    thanks for your reply, and thought as much cost wise, as you are most likely aware, with 3D, bigger is better, so I would be looking for at least a 55" screen or more

the plan is, to move the sammy into another room, but in any event, it will be xmass before I can look at this seriously

a jealous basil
    Yeah bigger is ALWAYS better :P There are 65'' passives available stateside from Vizio, LG and soon Toshiba.
    Unfortunatly all the biggest they seem to be releasing in Europe is 55' and from talking to various reps unless you bring in bigger from the states it will be upto a year before bigger gets released here in a passive format
    But to be honest thats as big as my chimney breast can handle :P

For anyone interested, I'm currently watching the Rangers v Hearts match(And not at all happy with the score )
    But I currently have the trumotion turned off(Habit I got into from Plasma TVs) and the motion is actually excellent!
    No smearing or ghosting(Which every LCD i've had previously has suffered with to some degree)
    Also PQ is excellent especially when I consider my previous TV was ISF calibrated.
    No banding and a superbly sharp image
    It blows my previous TV out of the water(Samsung PS50A556)
    I'm getting happier and happier with this purchase....Just hope my Bank Manager feels the same :P

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    Folks,
    With LG's launch of their passive Cinema 3D series lw450,lw550 and lw650 panels and the forthcoming release of Toshiba's TL series in May, it seems that passive is becoming more and more accessible and affordable.
    With that in mind I'm just wondering if folks here are thinking of jumping onboard with this tech?
    Personally from stateside reviews I could see myself getting a Tosh 55'' the full array LED dimming and 200hz along with the reported performance would swing this for me over the LG panels.
    So I'm just thinking we could use this thread to share info and experience on these new passive tv's
    Hi,

whats the difference between the passive and non passive 3d? one of my m8 is planning to buy an LG Infinia 47LX9500 LED Television - 3D. Hope his making a right decision-price is 1500 euros. screen size-47

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    Hi,

whats the difference between the passive and non passive 3d? one of my m8 is planning to buy an LG Infinia 47LX9500 LED Television - 3D. Hope his making a right decision-price is 1500 euros. screen size-47
    Active 3D uses rapidly switching filters in the glasses to deliver the 3d effect which while it does give full 1080p hd has drawbacks such as the weight of the glasses(Battery and sync system built into frame) and prolonged use of the flicker has led a lot of people to complain of headache or eyestrain.
    Coupled with the fact that glasses for active 3D start at @£80 making losing or sitting on a pair very expensive!

Passive glasses can be brought home from the cinema, or replaced for @£1 a pair!!! Making family movie nights, mates round for sports inexpensive and fun

My TV came with 7 pairs of passive glasses...Add the cost of 5 extra pairs of active glasses to the 1500 your mate is paying for his TV and then imagine a broken lost pair every 3/4 months!
    Also active system suffers from Ghosting/Crosstalk particularly on LCD as a by product of the lower response time in rapid flicking between Left/Right images.
    Plasma is better for crosstalk but no active system can eliminate it

Passive uses a special coating on the screen along with in TV processing to deliver the 3D image via same glasses used in Cinema's, ultralight weight and comfortable glasses vastly reduced crosstalk (Some claim its impossible on a passive...Its not but much less common) And gives a much much wider range of viewing angles,

Active only works best in a narrow range of angle from centre of TV, Whereas Passive is much wider before the effect falters.

The passive system makes prolonged use much easier, no 'flicker' headaches or need to recharge or resync the glasses.
    There is an argument over whether passive is a 'full' hd image due to the way it is delivered but LG's latest has been certified Full HD by Intertek.
    Last edited by banie01; 07-05-11 at 14:49.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

judge (08-05-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Please what type of model e.g lg, sony etc can someone buy with passive and not too expensive between 1400 to 1600 euro.
    thanks m8

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    Please what type of model e.g lg, sony etc can someone buy with passive and not too expensive between 1400 to 1600 euro.
    thanks m8
    Currently only LG have passive sets on sale(Hitachi, Zalman and others do passive monitors but they are really pro only) Toshiba will be releasing their passive range starting in June with Philips and Sony also releasing around that time too.
    For a 47'' LG you could take a look at an LD950(last years model but with great reviews and sub£1000 now, its the one used in pubs for Sky 3D) and for this years models check out the LG 47LW450, 47LW550 or the 47LW650

16. The Following User Says Thank You to banie01 For This Useful Post:

jfk (08-05-11)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    Currently only LG have passive sets on sale(Hitachi, Zalman and others do passive monitors but they are really pro only) Toshiba will be releasing their passive range starting in June with Philips and Sony also releasing around that time too.
    For a 47'' LG you could take a look at an LD950(last years model but with great reviews and sub£1000 now, its the one used in pubs for Sky 3D) and for this years models check out the LG 47LW450, 47LW550 or the 47LW650
    Thanks..i will pass it on to my m8 and this will help me also when buying another tv before xmass.
    cheers

Title
    Thanks
    It is an amazing experience and enjoying a lot watching movie on this one.

Title
    Thanks
    I have got the Lg50pz250t 50" plasma with the AG-S250 Active 3d glasses £130 a pair rechargeable but the 3d is scary if your watching a
    documentary about bugs and spiders in 3d like there right in front of you theres a red arrows in 3d excellent
    I bought my tv off a fella for £350 with glasses but the glasses never had a recharge wire bought seperate all off gumtree
    Ps make sure you pay cash and see the tv working as theres scams going on ebay,gumtree and other sites using paypal,you pay then dont deliver