Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doublefeed LNB cable

Title
    Thanks

Doublefeed LNB cable

I have seen 'double-barrelled' 'shotgun' type cable being used on Sky dish installations and wondered if I could get any as it SEEMS to be no bigger than the usual 7mm dia cable. Does anyone know if this is true? Only I want to replace a single cable with a dualfeed cable and if possible pull the new cable through the same existing hole.

Does this cable need different F connectors than the usual CT100 type?

Thanks.

Barry.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    yes you can buy it easily enough. speak to the site sponsor he may be able to get you a deal on some.
    and yes it's the same diameter as standard single coax cable, it also uses the same standard f-connectors.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks.

So if it uses the same connectors then each core must be the same diameter as the older single core cable. So overall it would be much too big to fit in the same hole I suppose?

Will just have to get a larger drill to open it up then.

Cheers.

barry.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    it's just a wee bit thicker but it should fit through the same hole easily enough.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    should be an 8mm drill hole for the single sky dish cable, so double barreled cable "should" fit through the same hole as ive seen the old single one being pulled out and replaced by the double cable without having to re-drill
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks.

On a different subject slightly, but connected to the same job I am doing, I have an Octo LNB for Astra 2 feeding four receivers (dual tuners). I wish to use an Optima MS512 5 x 12 multiswitch to provide additional Astra 2 feed pairs and I read that this box will accept a 'regular' Quad LNB input as well as the Quattro type. What I am asking is, could I use four of the outputs from the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other four outputs from the same Octo LNB for other (non-switched) feeds? ie. I use half the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other half to feed 'straight-through'. Hope this is clear! :-)
    Cheers if you can help.

Barry

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barrykap View Post
    Thanks.

So if it uses the same connectors then each core must be the same diameter as the older single core cable. So overall it would be much too big to fit in the same hole I suppose?

Will just have to get a larger drill to open it up then.

Cheers.

barry.
    It's flatter but wider than single COAX - it will go through (about) the same sized hole in the wall (I got mine through the old single caox hole no problem)
    The F connectors are NOT the same as "normal" ones - the neck is smaller to take account of the skinnier cable. Normal ones will not grip the cable!

+er

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    and yes it's the same diameter as standard single coax cable, it also uses the same standard f-connectors.
    It's not the same diameter and normal F connectors are not suitable. At least, that's the case with the cable I have.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plusser View Post
    It's not the same diameter and normal F connectors are not suitable. At least, that's the case with the cable I have.
    i used the same f connectors on 3 dishes one with shotgun dual feed coax and the other two with standard coax. all fitted just fine.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    i used the same f connectors on 3 dishes one with shotgun dual feed coax and the other two with standard coax. all fitted just fine.
    Then that would be normal coax, just two strands together. Surely the ides of "twin" coax is that it's thinner? Otherwise, might just as well run two individual cables.
    My dual coax is thinner than the normal coax (eg, WF100) and normal F connectors do not fit it.

+er

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just run 2 seperate cables and clip em to the wall together, look just as gud but a very tite fit in an 8mm drill out, need a 10mm drill bit to get some comfy space. Not much of a problem though
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plusser View Post
    Then that would be normal coax, just two strands together. Surely the ides of "twin" coax is that it's thinner? Otherwise, might just as well run two individual cables.
    My dual coax is thinner than the normal coax (eg, WF100) and normal F connectors do not fit it.

+er
    its the coax sky them selves use as i got a full real from a installer i know. and i use the same f.connectors.

SIMPLES.

digidude
    shotgun cable (called CT65) is thinner than normal cable. normal co-ax is 7mm diameter, this stuff if 4.8mm. Sky normally drill a 10mm hole for the cabels, they always have, and the twin cable @ 9.8mm fits through existing holes.

normal screw on connectors for WF100 etc are too big for this cable, and they have connectors where the main body is a tighter fit to screw on to the cable

TBH though, the cable itself is really poor over distances greater than ~ 15M, but it is a different cable that does have its own type of connectors.

with the multiswitch, what youre planning will work fine. this switch sends the 22kHz switching signals and different power levels to force the LNB to switch to the desired bands, theres no reason the other 4 outputs cannot be used 'as normal'

Title
    Thanks
    its the coax sky them selves use as i got a full real from a installer i know. and i use the same f.connectors.
    So, if you are using the same F connectors then this must be normal-sized cable (WF100).
    I am using the cable that digidude mentions and if I understood him correctly, that is what Sky are using. The F connectors for this are "tighter in the neck" to take account of the thinner cable.

+er

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeh the sky dual cable use thinner/different f connectors to the standard cable
    D I S C L A I M E R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast