Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to re-build my Windows desktop, advice on new mobo, CPU and RAM please

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,052 Times in 7,638 Posts

Looking to re-build my Windows desktop, advice on new mobo, CPU and RAM please

I'm looking to rebuild my Windows desktop. I'm looking for mobo, cpu and ram recommendations. Been looking at the i7 cpu's, whats the difference between sandy bridge and lynnfield versions?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    What are going to be using the comp for?

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Mainly office stuff, photo images, some graphics. I like a powerful pc though cos i get impatient lol. I'm now looking at a amd phenomenon quad core.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I have both an i5 and i7 and to be honest there is hardly any difference in performance.
    I do HD videos on the i7 and its about the same speef as sd videos were on my sthalon X2.
    If you want the very latest chipset and core, there were problems with the mobo and thry did a recall, not sure if they have restated selling.
    For video editing. Intel are supposed to be better, but i do prefer AMD as they are brtter value.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    I would check out SCAN,s daily specials most days they offer great bundle deals on mobo/cpu/ram

Code:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (02-04-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Today i7 pc bundle looks well cheap.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    All you want to know about Sandybridge & Lynnfield i7 CPUS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel.Corei7

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I'm actually of thinking of going for a 6x AMD Phenom now, bundle here
    Code:
    http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-amd-gamer-bundle--includes-m4a87td-evo-motherboard--amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition---4gb-ddr3--77X5.html?q=asus%20evo
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Personally, I'm Intel all the way now. Previously, used to be an amd man... But guess it must be coming down to old age and settling in to my slippers before bed

Latest Intel i3 and i5 machines I've used have been great, and if you get one of the 6-core i7's (if u can afford ), then I'm sure you'll be a happy man...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Check out cryo if u want top spec computer.
    They build ur machine and overclock it to the max

Title
    Thanks
    I think the I7's have USB3 by default. If I was getting a new motherboard USB3 would future proof it for a while at least.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thing with the I7 they're just so damned expensive. The bundle I posted has USB3.0 too.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    lol, a few comments I found when checking out that cpu vs the intel i7 930...

PhenomII is very competitive for some workloads, but can suffer severely on both memory bandwidth and memory latency. Virtualization is also supposed to be better on the i7 although I haven't measured that myself.

For most of what I do the Phenom is competitive and the cheaper mainboards and the fact that I could reuse DDR2 memory I had floating around made me go AMD. I did end up with a crappy Realtek Ethernet chip, though, and now run of a GbE PCI card.
    I still think the i7 is a better choice, mostly because of the high clock speed that the Phenom has to run at to achieve its competitive performance.

You can only get so much overclocking head room out of a chip, so a 3.2Ghz chip that can just barely keep up with a 2.66Ghz chip isn't going to see nearly as much of an improvement from an 800Mhz overclock. And if they both hit 4Ghz, obviously the 2.66Ghz chips is going to vastly outpace the other.

I guess it will depend on what the system will be primarily used for, but I just don't see what makes it future proof if it barely outpaces the competition right now and loses significantly in many cases.
    It's because in threaded games and apps it loses only to the 980x. Most new software is goign to be threaded. Look at BFBC2 for instance, it runs the best on the phenom 6 cores.
    Remember that i7s have hyperthreading as well, so they can take advantage of up to 8 threads to some extent.
    This is the cheapest i7 bundle I could find... Comes pre-clocked tho

Code:
    http://www.awd-it.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8947&product=Intel+i7+930+%40+3%2E33GHz%2C+Asus+P6X58D%2DE+Motherboard%2C+6GB+DDR3+1333MHz+Overclocked+Bundle+BU34OC
    Alternatively, they had the i7 950 with an asus motherboard and 6gb corsair ram, available seperately for £400...
    Last edited by pooface; 14-04-11 at 12:17.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (14-04-11)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I7 is just too expensive, think it gonna have to be an AMD x
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Order these parts in the end.

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    Code:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/206153
    AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T 3.2GHz Socket AM3 9MB Cache 125W Retail Boxed Processor
    Code:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204933
    Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Memory Kit CL9 1.65V
    Code:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/254550
    All going to be house in a sexy Antec Sonata III Case, kindly given to me by Silverfox, thank you

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast