Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Empty buttons (no text) in timer and sanity error views

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empty buttons (no text) in timer and sanity error views

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Even if the button pngs are there, it does not mean there should/would be text/wording.

As an example, this screen has all four colours.

Code:
        <screen name="TimerLog" position="209,100" size="845,520" backgroundColor="window-bg">
            <widget name="loglist" position="20,0" size="805,375" font="Regular;20" selectionPixmap="ViX-Common/buttons/FocusBar_H25x805.png" scrollbarMode="showOnDemand"/>
            <widget name="logentry" position="10,400" size="825,30" font="Regular;20" backgroundColor="window-bg" transparent="0"/>
            <ePixmap pixmap="ViX-Common/buttons/red.png" position="45,488" size="25,25" alphatest="blend"/>
            <ePixmap pixmap="ViX-Common/buttons/green.png" position="235,488" size="25,25" alphatest="blend"/>
            <ePixmap pixmap="ViX-Common/buttons/yellow.png" position="425,488" size="25,25" alphatest="blend"/>
            <ePixmap pixmap="ViX-Common/buttons/blue.png" position="615,488" size="25,25" alphatest="blend"/>
            <widget name="key_red" position="66,487" zPosition="1" size="150,25" font="Regular;20" halign="center" valign="center" backgroundColor="window-bg" transparent="1"/>
            <widget name="key_green" position="258,487" zPosition="1" size="150,25" font="Regular;20" halign="center" valign="center" backgroundColor="window-bg" transparent="1"/>
            <widget name="key_yellow" position="448,487" zPosition="1" size="150,25" font="Regular;20" halign="center" valign="center" backgroundColor="window-bg" transparent="1"/>
            <widget name="key_blue" position="638,487" zPosition="1" size="150,25" font="Regular;20" halign="center" valign="center" backgroundColor="window-bg" transparent="1"/>
        </screen>
    I attach a screenshot

The python file that invokes/gives the button/labels are here

TimerEdit
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Op...s/TimerEdit.py

TimerSanityCheck
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Op...SanityCheck.py

You will have to look at the file for a full list of labels. Ctrl & F for the colour you want to search for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 25-04-18 at 01:27. Reason: Added TimerSanity

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

GezAndJaack (25-04-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You will find that OpenPLi And OpenVix have both adopted it. OpenBlackHole and also TeamBlue have it.

What is a "button"

Is it the png?
    Is it the action?
    Is it the wording?
    If wording, is the "wording" a "label" or is it "text"

The thread is here
    Code:
    https://forums.openpli.org/topic/56924-button-and-label-pli-opinion
    The confusion started over a decade ago. Pretty sure it was 2005. It will take time for it to be untangled.

On Rob's skin, his "buttons" are just "wording". On other skins, the different versions have been added in the templates. So if a plugin uses an old definition, that will still be present.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddac View Post
    Vix jumped the gun on this.
    What? How has ViX "jumped the gun"? It is an issue in your skins, not in ours. Are you suggesting that our enigma has to remain identical to all other distros so things are easier for skinners? And by the way, once adopted, our button bar is zero maintenance for skinners, not like previously where every screen needed the buttons hard coded. Saves literally hundreds of lines, and countless hours of work for skinners. If I add a button somewhere in enigma it just displays automatically, no need to edit any of our skins. Same with text/menu buttons, etc.
    Last edited by Huevos; 25-04-18 at 08:45.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (25-04-18)

Title
    Thanks
    It is an issue in your skins, not in ours.
    No... its an issue with every skin ever designed with the exception of a small tiny handful of vix only skins that have been amended.

Are you suggesting that our enigma has to remain identical to all other distros so things are easier for skinners?
    Nice... typical vix attitude. With that attitude I am surprised skinners even attempt to make their skins work on Vix if you have an us against the world attitutde.

not like previously where every screen needed the buttons hard coded.
    Do these buttons now magically appear. No. Every screen still needs button code in. What are you talking about???

Saves literally hundreds of lines
    It doesn't save hundreds of lines of code. It is actually more code if you recommend putting in a conditional statement for each button graphic.
    Also in the documentation it recommends to actually double up the code to appease legacy. So literally adding hundreds of line of code.

, and countless hours of work for skinners.
    So all skinners have got to spend countless hours changing all their skins, just because some bright spark had an idea to change 10 years plus worth of code.

And I am not saying a disagree with trying to unifying all this code. I fully agree it is tiresome trawling through every element trying to work out which button code or widget is being used on that particular screen.
    But as mention quitely clearly in the doucmentation for this .

For all the Enigma2 builds there is a significant legacy of code and skins that needs to be preserved and protected.
    It seems there has been no transition of this. It would have been a hell of lot smoother and better if when you were changing the python components in, you wrote in rules in the python file to check if legacy or new buttons are used.
    The hard work could have been done in the python code. Instead of adding in extra parameters, or asking skinners to duplicate buttons or even change buttons in old skins.
    Then in the future any new skins could adopt this button policy and it would affect anything. It really wouldn't have been that difficult. But now it is a pain in the bum.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,052 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Nice... typical vix attitude. With that attitude I am surprised skinners even attempt to make their skins work on Vix if you have an us against the world attitutde.
    Really?? You're accusing OpenViX team of having an attitude for trying to make improvements? I've just looked through some of your dozen posts here and you're accusing us of having attitude

You've never posted any of your skins here (even when requested) or even offered any support for your skins here.

If these changes are so bad why have OpenPLi, OpenBlackHole and TeamBlue adopted these changes?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    try reading the bit where I said I don't disagree with it in principle.

I don't post on this forum, because the mods create a hostile environment as proven in the past few posts of this thread. They will not except anything written against their beloved Vix. Not once has anyone said, I understand what you are saying.

And just because I don't post on this forum, doesn't mean the issue doesn't effect me. I have had nothing but mither since this has been brought in, with emails, private messages, forum posts all asking how to fix the skins to work on vix.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    I understand what your saying.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Do these buttons now magically appear. No. Every screen still needs button code in. What are you talking about???
    You obviously didn't read Ian's user guide you published on the other forum. The button code is part of the main template imported into almost every screen. That template holds everything that is needed to make the buttons and button texts "magically" appear in each screen. And if the .py changes and different buttons are required that also happens "magically" with any skin edits.

If you look at our skins git you will see where the hundreds of lines have been deleted. Most of the skins that I converted took me about half an hour each, and no button maintenance ever since.

Title
    Thanks
    Rossi whether your being sarcastic there or turthfully understanding as you were probably the first to do this conversion, I am sure you will back up the comments that this has caused a right load of trouble.

Title
    Thanks
    Huevos everybody designs skins differently. Some people use template files and panels, some people write out the code for every single element in every single screen, vix use a common file. there is not one way of writing a skin. Just because it is easy to convert a vix skin that follows a set format doesn't mean its easy for everyone else to change their skins.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Of I course I understand, yes I was against them at first, but they were applied anyway, BUT the changes do make things much simpler skinning wise.

I have not checked how you code your skins, whether u use templates or code each screen separately. these changes do work well for templated skins and reduces the needed code, but again depends how your skins are coded initially.

As Huevos pointed out, the Button template can just be added the to the template that draws the screen, (that will check if the screen its displaying needs any buttons and if so displays them) so NO other screen needs buttons adding.

we are in a different situation whereas your skins need to work on multiple images, mine dont.

I guess atm you have 2 options, leave your skins as is, or make a vix skin, a big ballache I know, but realistically theres not much else that can be done at this time dude.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rossi2000 For This Useful Post:

kiddac (25-04-18)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,052 Times in 7,638 Posts
    I don't post on this forum, because the mods create a hostile environment as proven in the past few posts of this thread.
    I don't see anything hostile in this thread at all. If a thread becomes hostile report it to me and I'll take a look at it.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    @kiddac, our conditional button code is not the reason that you skin is not working right in ViX. That code is completely backwards compatible. Your skin is broken in this screen because it is expecting a Button() object and our enigma uses a StaticText() object.

Title
    Thanks
    Just too clarify my situation on this.

I know how to change the buttons to the new format. That isn't a problem

I have read the new button documentation proposal. I fully understand that document.

I fully understand what is trying to be achieved here. Again I don't disagree with it in principle. I disagree with how its been implemented.

In most of my skins it is not a major thing, as I personally use templates. Most of the code is already there.

The problem is (and as Rossi has mentioned above) I try and make my skins work on all builds. Not just openatv, not just vix etc. For as many of the oe-alliance builds as possible. Which to be fair is no easy task, especially as lots of builds have build specifc names and screens. Its taken a long time and a lot of hassle to get the skins in a position where they work on most. (2 years to be precise). Something a lot of skinners don't even try and do because its a nightmare.
    If I was only designing for one image in mind, again that is no major problem.

I cannot just change all the button code now, because what would fix one build would break another.

I am not willing to duplicate all my skins to fix this, because I have multiple skins with hd and fhd versions. I am also extremely busy with other projects and life.

I cannot just do one big sweep and change all the button code in every screen, because I skin all the major 3rd party plugins in my skins. And I doubt very much all these plugins are magically going to change soon.
    Therefore I would have to individually check each and every screen against the build makers github files just to see who is using what. That is a very long and laborious task. It would be basically like starting from scratch again.

Its easy for someone involved in openvix or a build to amend their skins, because they know what code and components they have changed.
    I have no idea what python components Vix have changed until I get message saying your skin is broke I have got no button texts on for example timers. (not that timers are a major fature or anything on these boxes)

So hopefully you can see why I think this is a big deal and a bit of a **** up.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    @kiddac, like I said above your skin being broken in OpenViX has nothing to do with wether or not you make changes to take advantage of the button code changes. These are completely backwards compatible.

The reason your skin is not displaying correctly in ViX is because the code is using a StaticText() object and the skin is expecting a Button() object. If you are catering for multiple images, how did you cope with such a thing before? Because that same method is what is needed here.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (26-04-18)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast