Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Software locking up when scrolling through EPG

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Software locking up when scrolling through EPG

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Software locking up when scrolling through EPG

In the past few hours I’ve “software updated” to 5.1.22 from 5.1.21

On on pressing the guide button and the graphical EPG for that bouquet appearing the box totally locks up.

Sometimes I can scroll up/down half a dozen channels before the lock up occurs at other times the box is locked up immediately.

The TV picture in graphics still shows the last channel tuned to and there is still audio.

There is no spinning VIX and the box doesn’t respond to any of the buttons on the remote. I have to use the mains on/off switch to reset the box to get any functionality back.

Although enabled there don’t appear to be any crash logs.

This has happened 4 times in a row each with a mains on/off. Just in case of a corrupt EPG file, I have also deleted the EPG via the menu option, allowed 10 minutes for re-population before pressing the guide button but still get the immediate lock up.

I have reverted back to 5.1.021 and don’t see this problem.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

cactikid (25-03-18)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ...there should be debug logs if you've enabled them.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    I can't replicate this, tried on 4 different boxes. Tiviar Alpha+, ET8500, VU+ Uno 4K SE and VU+ Ultimo 4K.

Please provide step by step info to replicate. EPG source? What signal type?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Can you telnet to the box to reboot it?

If you can, I'll give it a try later on my ET10K, I'm not too keen on powering off at the mains if I can avoid it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    There is no spinning VIX and the box doesn’t respond to any of the buttons on the remote. I have to use the mains on/off switch to reset the box to get any functionality back.

Although enabled there don’t appear to be any crash logs.
    That's because it hasn't crashed. It's looping somewhere (or waiting on a lock that it never gets).
    The debug log for the time this occurs may provide some info.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    4 off debug logs from yesterday. Note: I did have both 5.1.021 and 5.1.022 installed yesterday. No other debug or other logs were generated.

The problem Bouquet/EPG was my favourites (fav_freesat(TV)) which was constructed using the webif bouquet editor and contains UK Freesat channels plus 1 off UK Freeview channel (BBC One HD) .

EPG is stored on USB stick but I assume that it read from in RAM when the box is operational. EPG source is EIT/over the air for both UK Freesat and UK Freeview channels. CrossEPG and EPG-Importer are not used - they are disabled. I only use Freesat/Freeview for TV. Automatic timeshift is enabled. All recordings and timeshift are to an internal hard disk with more than 400Gb free.

I've seen no occurrence of the problem since reverting back to 5.1.021.logs.zip
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    4 off debug logs from yesterday.
    logs.zip
    Of those 4 logs, 3 show an orderly shutdown. The other one doesn't, but seems to be the one from when you did a software update (Enigma2_debug_2018-03-25_13-12-00.log) - it did an image backup.

For the four logs there is no sign of anything untoward:
    1. Power button pressed (~7119) to shut it down.
    2. Autostandby (11299.810) and Autoshutdown (~12020)
    3. Software update done - results in a quick reboot.
    4. Power button pressed (~18110) to shut it down.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The logs were the ONLY ones generated yesterday when I had the problem. My logs were already enabled in the menus at the time. There are no crash logs. I performed a power off at the mains switch multiple times when the box hung during the day.

There were at least two automatic reboots, once when I software upgraded to 5.1.022 and again when i reverted to 5.1.021.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I cannot get the fault to be as consistent as happened yesterday but I have managed to get it to hang again with 5.1.022. I haven’t included the logs in the post as I guess that will just report normal operation as no debug or crash logs are generated on the problem hang-up.

Brand new test:

I deleted all the existing logs.

I software updated to 5.1.022 (which automatically performed a backup and reboot – I also told it to ignore the upcoming recording timer)

This created log 2018-03-26_16-03-26.

I went to the problem bouquet/epg and had no problems scrolling through the EPG.

I put the box into deep standby, and then switched the box back on.

This resulted in log 2018-03-26_16-07-18

I went to the bouquet/epg – box no longer responds to any remote button. MiniTV picture and audio still working. At no time was there a spinning VIX symbol indicating busy.

Waited approx 5 minutes

Switched off at the mains switch for 1 minute and then switched back on.

NO new logs generated

I went to the problem bouquet/epg and had no problems scrolling through the EPG.

I put the box into deep standby, waited 1 minute and then switched the box back on.

This resulted in log 2018-03-26_16-25-20

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Where are you storing debug logs - in /media/hdd or /home/root ?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Can you telnet to the box to reboot it?

If you can, I'll give it a try later on my ET10K, I'm not too keen on powering off at the mains if I can avoid it.
    I'd imagine that if sound+video are still working, telnet should work ok?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Where are you storing debug logs - in /media/hdd or /home/root ?
    /home/root/logs

Logs are being produced when the sytem is working normally but nothing extra when a lock-up occurs.

Edit: I've just had another lock-up when scrolling through the EPG (5.1.022)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I can't see why you lose the current debug log file when you power off.

If it's continually being written to then maybe it gets lost?

I've just tried a power off from deep standby and the *.log file is still there in /home/root/logs.

I'd put it in /media/hdd and see if that helps.

I'd also try telnet init 4 to stop enigma and init 3 to restart it, rather than powering off at the mains.
    Last edited by ccs; 26-03-18 at 18:57.

Title
    Thanks
    /home/root/logs
    Unlikely, but that log could fill up the file system (scrolling though an EPG will produce entries in the log). If you have a USB stick that would be a better place to put them (also stops them being lost of you ever do a reflash).

Title
    Thanks
    I put the box into deep standby, and then switched the box back on.

This resulted in log 2018-03-26_16-07-18

I went to the bouquet/epg – box no longer responds to any remote button. MiniTV picture and audio still working. At no time was there a spinning VIX symbol indicating busy.

Waited approx 5 minutes

Switched off at the mains switch for 1 minute....
    So that log should show something.

...and then switched back on. NO new logs generated
    Very odd: you should have got another log started for another enigma2 start-up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast