Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound when turning off midway through a recording

Title
    Thanks

No sound when turning off midway through a recording

I have had this issue as long as I can remember through all images.

if watching a recording I turn the box off (using my harmony remote which turns off tv, box and soundbar altogether) WITHOUT stopping the recording when I turn the box back on I have NO SOUND at all to any channels.

The only way to resolve this is to turn the box OFF again and then back ON again and then I get sound.

Any ideas people

As mentioned this has been present for as long as I can remember over different images

TIA Bart

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bartjunited View Post
    I have had this issue as long as I can remember through all images.

if watching a recording I turn the box off (using my harmony remote which turns off tv, box and soundbar altogether) WITHOUT stopping the recording when I turn the box back on I have NO SOUND at all to any channels.

The only way to resolve this is to turn the box OFF again and then back ON again and then I get sound.

Any ideas people

As mentioned this has been present for as long as I can remember over different images

TIA Bart
    When you write "turn off" do you mean put the Enigma 2 box into standby, deep standby or remove mains power? Again with the TV and sound bar is this an off state or just a standby state.

If not watching a recording and you switch everything off and then on again do you get the sound from the live TV that the box is turned into on switch on?

Is the problem the order in which the harmony switches the individual items? If the harmony is controlling each of the boxes the controlling will be in a sequence. What happens if you change the programming of the harmony to first turn on the sound bar, then turn on the TV and finally turn on the box. I seem to remember with some harmony remote controls that a delay could be introduced between each event but it can become a PITA pointing the remote waiting for, say, a 3 second period for the command sequence to finish.

Try also, when the sound bar doesn’t produce sound try turning up the volume on the box to see if the sound bar comes to life. A friend of mine has a sound bar with an annoying feature. It auto detects that there is audio but doesn’t switch on until the audio level reaches a certain threshold. In their household the volume is turned down late at night in order not to disturb others that may be sleeping. The sound bar continues to work at this reduced level of audio but when switched off and then back on again the volume set the night before isn’t sufficient to meet the auto detect threshold.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bartjunited (06-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    When you write "turn off" do you mean put the Enigma 2 box into standby, deep standby or remove mains power? Again with the TV and sound bar is this an off state or just a standby state.

If not watching a recording and you switch everything off and then on again do you get the sound from the live TV that the box is turned into on switch on?

Is the problem the order in which the harmony switches the individual items? If the harmony is controlling each of the boxes the controlling will be in a sequence. What happens if you change the programming of the harmony to first turn on the sound bar, then turn on the TV and finally turn on the box. I seem to remember with some harmony remote controls that a delay could be introduced between each event but it can become a PITA pointing the remote waiting for, say, a 3 second period for the command sequence to finish.

Try also, when the sound bar doesn’t produce sound try turning up the volume on the box to see if the sound bar comes to life. A friend of mine has a sound bar with an annoying feature. It auto detects that there is audio but doesn’t switch on until the audio level reaches a certain threshold. In their household the volume is turned down late at night in order not to disturb others that may be sleeping. The sound bar continues to work at this reduced level of audio but when switched off and then back on again the volume set the night before isn’t sufficient to meet the auto detect threshold.
    The box is put into standby

If I switch to a freeview for example yes I will then get sound no problem so both the sound bar and tv are emitting sound.

Its not anything to do with the harmony as I had this issue even before i introduced the harmony

TIA Bart

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    If it's such a nuisance, I'd stop the recording I'm watching first.

I never switch off like that anyway, get the box to show live tv first.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    If it's such a nuisance, I'd stop the recording I'm watching first.

I never switch off like that anyway, get the box to show live tv first.
    You sometimes forget.
    E.g kids watching something a recorded show, we need to go out and you just hit "turn everything off". Next time to turn it on you remember what happened.......

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    How are you connecting the sound bar

Directly to your box using phono leads?
    Directly to your box using optical?
    Directly to your box using HDMI?
    Via the TV using HDMI?
    Other?

If you use the TV and sound bar remote controls what happens when you individually switch these on from standby BEFORE you switch your box back on?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bartjunited (06-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    How are you connecting the sound bar

Directly to your box using phono leads?
    Directly to your box using optical?
    Directly to your box using HDMI?
    Via the TV using HDMI?
    Other?

If you use the TV and sound bar remote controls what happens when you individually switch these on from standby BEFORE you switch your box back on?
    Connected via optical.

Once again the sound bar is a red herring as this happened before sound bar was introduced and even if I try to use the TVs volume I still get no sound

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Connected via optical.

Once again the sound bar is a red herring as this happened before sound bar was introduced and even if I try to use the TVs volume I still get no sound

For info: Switching my box into standby whilst watching a recording and then switching back on again results in instant sound as the playback of the recording automatically resumes. This is true irrespective of the order I switch the other equipment into/out of standby or even completely off. AV amplifier connected via optical. The AV amp also switches to the correct surround sound decoding within perhaps 0.25 seconds of the box coming out of standby in the recording resume after standby mode..

Are your recordings stored on an internal hard disk or externally to your box. If on an external USB hard disk is this disk also externally powered?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bartjunited (06-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    For info: Switching my box into standby whilst watching a recording and then switching back on again results in instant sound as the playback of the recording automatically resumes. This is true irrespective of the order I switch the other equipment into/out of standby or even completely off. AV amplifier connected via optical. The AV amp also switches to the correct surround sound decoding within perhaps 0.25 seconds of the box coming out of standby in the recording resume after standby mode..

Are your recordings stored on an internal hard disk or externally to your box. If on an external USB hard disk is this disk also externally powered?
    Stored on an external 2.5hdd that is not powered.

This hdd has been the 1 consistent. I had a Solo then a Solo 2 and now a Solo se Cable. But always used the same external 2.5 hdd

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Stored on an external 2.5hdd that is not powered.

This hdd has been the 1 consistent. I had a Solo then a Solo 2 and now a Solo se Cable. But always used the same external 2.5 hdd

While the power that can be supplied from a single USB port on these boxes may be more than adequate for normal read/write operations it may be very marginal for the higher power required for the USB disk to start up from cold. Many of these disks are supplied with a lead that can be plugged into two USB ports to share the power but the recommendation is to power them from an external source. You say that you have to put your box into a quick standby cycle to restore sound. The USB may not require so much start up power if only switched off for 5 seconds.

As an experiment try putting your box into standby for different lengths of time, 5sec, 10sec 20 sec, 1 minute. Is there a threshold time where the sound disappears?

For info again: I’m not seeing the problem with an internal hard disk with either Freesat or Freeview, which use different audio encoding, nor with down-mix on or off.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bartjunited (07-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    While the power that can be supplied from a single USB port on these boxes may be more than adequate for normal read/write operations it may be very marginal for the higher power required for the USB disk to start up from cold. Many of these disks are supplied with a lead that can be plugged into two USB ports to share the power but the recommendation is to power them from an external source. You say that you have to put your box into a quick standby cycle to restore sound. The USB may not require so much start up power if only switched off for 5 seconds.

As an experiment try putting your box into standby for different lengths of time, 5sec, 10sec 20 sec, 1 minute. Is there a threshold time where the sound disappears?

For info again: I’m not seeing the problem with an internal hard disk with either Freesat or Freeview, which use different audio encoding, nor with down-mix on or off.
    So atm I literally just put the box into standby (my whole watch TV activity on the harmony) then turn the box back on (whole watch activity)

I think i only use 1 of the usb ports for the hdd. Would you recommend plugging the 2nd USB cable into a plug?

Title
    Thanks

Forgot to say can the encoding have any issue here. I don't know what encoding I use.?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    It's a long time VU driver bug.
    No sound bars, amplifiers or anything else needed.
    Hit the power button during the playback of a recording, next time you hit the power button, you will have no sound.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

bartjunited (07-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    It's a long time VU driver bug.
    No sound bars, amplifiers or anything else needed.
    Hit the power button during the playback of a recording, next time you hit the power button, you will have no sound.
    I have now created a button on the harmony to effectively restart the box.... Goes into standby, pauses and then comes out of standby.
    This seems to work.

I'm just glad it's not something I'd been doing all this time

Title
    Thanks
    Try double tapping 'mute' if you lose sound, it often comes back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast