Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Router crash during update, now can't flash through usb.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Router crash during update, now can't flash through usb.

Hi Guys,

Am having a problem with an xtrend ET9500, the router crashed during an software update through software update in the menu. The box was running 5.1.003 before and was updating to 5.1.013. From what I can gather after the router crashed the box was left sit in the update screen for a while but when nothing seemed to be happening the box was power cycled. I have tried to flash it through the usb, both bootloader and image but the box doesn't recognise the usb stick. I don't see a way to connect through serial on the box. Is there a way to recover this or do I have a brick.

Thanks
    Dave

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by batman679 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Am having a problem with an xtrend ET9500, the router crashed during an software update through software update in the menu. The box was running 5.1.003 before and was updating to 5.1.013. From what I can gather after the router crashed the box was left sit in the update screen for a while but when nothing seemed to be happening the box was power cycled. I have tried to flash it through the usb, both bootloader and image but the box doesn't recognise the usb stick. I don't see a way to connect through serial on the box. Is there a way to recover this or do I have a brick.

Thanks
    Dave
    The software update menu option doesn't update an image. To couch update to a new image
    Menu -> setup -> VIX -> image manager -> press yellow to download the new image and then blue to flash the new image that you have just fully downloaded.

I'd recomend before you do this
    Menu -> setup -> VIX -> image manager -> press green for a backup of your current image
    then
    Menu -> setup -> VIX -> backuo manager -> press green for a backup of your settings

A couch update using the interweb requires the full image to be downloaded before you perform the flash update? A router crash during this stage would mean that you wouldn't have a full copy of the image before starting to flash. A restore of some of the plugins may/will have required a internet connection.

Which menu were you in and at what point did your box fail?

Assuming you have the correct image on your USB stick, have you first removed all other USB devices befaoe flashing. Are you powering off the box at the mains for 60 seconds before attempting the falshing sequence fromthe USB stick? Some boxes don't seem like some USB sticks or maybe sticks with a capaity greater than 8Gbytes.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

batman679 (07-02-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi adm,

Thanks for the reply,

Menu -> setup -> system -> software update.

I should have said that the the main problem lies in the fact that it won't boot (sorry) so that's why I need to flash by usb. The box will get to the boot logo and say booting on the front screen but then hangs there.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    I don't believe that the router crashing would have stopped you flashing from usb. Dig out your oldest, crappiest USB stick. Format FAT32, load the correct folder for your image/receiver and try again... it will flash!!
    One day, people will recognise that couch flashing by ImageManager and doing a settings restore is the safest way of updating.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    I always wait for a few releases to come out, say every few weeks before updating any of my boxes, i only really watch TV on them now so i cant se the point of updating them every time a new release comes out. I use an old 2GB Kingston data traveller. Never managed to not flash a receiver with it yet. I purchased it when i had my old Dreambox DM7020si back in 2006

When updating my receivers I always make a back up and then do a fresh flash by usb and then restore everything. Never had an issue on any of my Xtrends, even my ye olde ET9500

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi adm,

Thanks for the reply,

Menu -> setup -> system -> software update.

I should have said that the the main problem lies in the fact that it won't boot (sorry) so that's why I need to flash by usb. The box will get to the boot logo and say booting on the front screen but then hangs there.
    Are you following all the steps in the guide especially the one that says to press the OK button on the box (not the remote) immediately after mains power on?
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-bui...d%20ET9x00.pdf
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have used 5 different usb's old and new, all formatted to FAT32.

I don't get the option to press the ok button on the box as the box doesn't seem to recognise the usb, this is the only usb plugged into the box. If I press the ok button without the prompt on the front screen, it will just start to boot anyway.

This is a strange one, I have flashed numerous boxes this way before and never had a problem, I would of thought that even though the box was powered off during the update wouldn't effect the usb flash.

Title
    Thanks
    change the name of the file within the ET9x00 folder called noforce to force, it should flash without the need to press anything. Make sure you remove the usb when its finished flashing otherwise it will just start again.

If it doesn't flash it could well mean that the bootloader in the box is damaged. Never had this happen with any of my Xtrend boxes so the corrupt bootloader is just a probability not definite. Last time i had a corrupted bootloader was with an old Gigablue 800se. I had to get a friend to jtag it back to life for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

batman679 (07-02-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi sundancer,

I just tried that with the file name change and even tried a back usb port for the hell of it, unfortunately it didn't work. looks like a jtag job.

Title
    Thanks
    You will need to look here. I would only attempt a jtag if its a last resort, its better to see if the manufacturer can sort it first. That way you will know its done correctly.

Code:
    http://www.et-view.net/
    Get a RMA and return it for repair. I had to do it with my old ET9200 when the security board went tits up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

batman679 (07-02-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeah I think that's the way to go, let them at it, could get myself in a bigger hole if I get it wrong.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Dave
    I have this issue now on my miraclebox premium hd..im stuck

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Better off starting a new thread mate instead attaching on to the back of one about a totally different receiver.

You may get a better response from owners of your type of receiver

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    If it's possible to telnet to the receiver, there is probably a way of forcing an update, getting a working system, and couch flashing, rather than using usb.

Something like this (please correct me if I'm wrong) ....

Code:
    init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6
    Last edited by ccs; 18-02-18 at 13:24.