Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HbbTV on Mut@ant HD51

Title
    Thanks

HbbTV on Mut@ant HD51

Hi All,

I am not familiar with using HbbTV, although I've been through the relevant Wikipedia page to get the gist of it. I have installed the hbbtv-qt plugin and notice when I press the red button on the remote the LED screen on the Mut@ant shows 'HbbTV Plugin' for a few seconds but nothing else happens. Is this service only available with satellite receivers (mine's only DVB-T/T2), or am I missing some component or setting? I have not been able to find another button that will show what the BBC Red Button service does on the TV and I'm wondering if Mut@ant offers such a service at all.

Grateful for any pointers.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Its mainly a European thing e.g. some of the German FTA channels support this service eg Das Erste, ZDF. I have to say that although there are endless threads on OpenATV whenever a receiver doesn‘t support HbbTV, I have never seen the need.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks twol,

So I take it it's not relevant to UK Freeview. Is Mut@nt capable of receiving/displaying the BBC Red Button transmissions and what button should I use for it?

Another question: Is there a web browser plugin I could run to do general Internet browsing using the Mut@nt? I saw the Opera plugin, but it did not connect to the Internet when I tried it.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    Is Mut@nt capable of receiving/displaying the BBC Red Button transmissions and what button should I use for it?
    Just treat the Red Buttton channels like any other - select from the epg or by its number.
    You may need a re-tune (eg during the Olympics/Wimbledon) to pick up addition red button channels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (21-01-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Got it ccs, thanks. This will deal with the Red Button transmission services of parallel programmes to the main channel, but not with the Red Button Plus 'teletext' menus (not sure what the proper terminology is for this). The TTX button on the remote does not load the digital teletext service on Freeview.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I only ever use the tv for "teletext". Not sure if modern TV's have the feature though.

It'll never work on ViX/E2 boxes.
    Last edited by ccs; 21-01-18 at 22:08.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I only ever use the tv for "teletext". Not sure if modern TV's have the feature though.
    Yes, at least mine does. When I press the red button on the TV remote I get the teletext menu with the option to watch any alternative Red Button channels being transmitted in parallel (e.g. for BBC this would be in the 600+ channel number range) as well as a menu to choose for teletext like text information on weather, news, sport, etc. I was wondering if Mut@nt has the same and thinking perhaps HbbTV offers the same functionality. It is illuminated in green colour on some channels showing it is active in the transmission, but I can't activate it.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    According to this URL HbbTV should be available over Freeview.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    @Mickkie - your TV is using MHEG to pull the digital equivalent of teletext. It's a licensed product available on official Freeview and Freesat receivers. linux boxes generally don't support MHEG unless you purchase a licensed add-on. The idea behind HbbTV is that it is open source and therefore free from the same licensing restrictions. I've used it on my MBTwin on various German satellite stations. I don't see HbbTV available as a plug-in for my GB Quad Plus, though. I'll check it out on my HD51 in the morning.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    I don't see HbbTV available as a plug-in for my GB Quad Plus, though. I'll check it out on my HD51 in the morning.
    Thanks fat-tony, I found two plugins in HD51 mentioning HbbTV, but none of them seem to do anything here, hbbtv-qt and openopera.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    It should be qt for the HD51, but should also be built in, but a couple of weeks ago the build was broken and the install didn‘t run...... so as its now fixed, if you are not on the latest build it may be worth updating.

Update:
    Just tried and had to install and it still didn‘t work for me ...... will have to play!!
    Last edited by twol; 22-01-18 at 11:07.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    It should be qt for the HD51, but should also be built in, but a couple of weeks ago the build was broken and the install didn‘t run...... so as its now fixed, if you are not on the latest build it may be worth updating.
    I'm on openvix 5.1.012 release. Looking at the plugins installed, hbbtv-qt was not shown, so I installed it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Update:
    Just tried and had to install and it still didn‘t work for me ...... will have to play!!
    I've been trying hbbtv-qt on and off for the last 5-6 versions of OpenVIX and it has never worked. openopera works, in so far a GUI menu comes up, but it will not load any URLs - just hangs.

EDIT: I just found this in /etc/oe-git.log, which may imply hbbtv-qt was built in?
    Code:
    [vuplus] [webkit-hbbtv] update hbbtv.
    Last edited by Mickkie; 22-01-18 at 12:17.
    Kind regards,

Mick

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickkie For This Useful Post:

twol (22-01-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Ha! It works!

Today I noticed while on BBC HD HbbTV works, on a long press of the red button on the remote. When I say works, well ... the HbbTV function of the box works fine, but BBC won't cooperate.

A BBC iPlayer page loads to inform me:

"Sorry we do not support your device"

and gives a BBC URL for further information on BBC iPlayer, which leads to iPlayer FAQs. So, what's up with this? BBC discriminates against certain makes of STBs?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    No.
    HbbTv works for some (mostly German) channels like ZDF that support the HbbTV functions.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners: