Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Dolby Digital Sound on French 5 deg w Multistreams

Title
    Thanks

Dolby Digital Sound on French 5 deg w Multistreams

Just received a promotional email from the sponsors advertising Mutant HD51 with DVB-S2X tuner etc.

Would like a second receiver capable of receiving the French TV Multistreams on 5 deg W - I already have an Octagon 4008. Would have bought an OCtagon SX88 like a shot, but it doesn't do Dolby Digital sound which is required for all but one of the French channels.

I'm afraid I'm pretty dumb, does this (new?) Mutant which they're advertising do Dolby Digital....?

Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    The HD51 has been around for about a year, only has 2 tuners compared to the Octagon SF4008, but overall (in my view) is the better box and offers more (delivered) features.
    Well if the SF4008 delivers DD on your French channels then Yes, so will the HD51..and more
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that twol. I'd fallen into the trap of thinking this was new, but what I think is new is the price and the availablilty of DVB-S2X.

AIUI the Octagon 4008 production has the DD licence, and the chip inside is therefore capable of decoding it. Also AIUI with the SX88 they took the decicion not to buy the DD licence and so that box will NEVER be suitable for French TV via multistream.

But from what you say it sounds as though the Mutant is compatible. I might give it a go....

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    e,g, BBC HD has AC3 and the Mutant HD51 plays 5.1 quite happily-
    The s2x tuner came out around 3Q2017 and uses the follow-on chip to the one in the SF4008
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

moulin (11-01-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks again twol. I'm not technical enough to say what it is about the French Multistreams that causes the trouble, is it perhaps that they are DD and NOTHING else, whereas the BBC sound is a choice of various....? As I say it's a deal breaker for the SX88 but sounds as though it isn't for the Mutant 51. Of course whether or not I'd ever get it working is another matter, the Octagon 4008 tested my patience to the limit (although now I've got it programmed it's fine, although I leave it alone and alter NOTHING now it's working.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No problem with the HD51 on French audio channels on 5w MS but most of the tracks are AC3+.

My LG TVs can decode AC3+ but the Samsungs can't.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Neither my amp nor TV decode AC+ from my Solo2 but turning on AC3 downmix solves it although its only 2 channel audio. Tested on one of the Movistar channels on 19e as I cant receive multistream transponders.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further comments.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There is a FTA test channel on 5W - Fransat Info HD which you can use to test the AC3+ sound with your existing receiver.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.