Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Newbie

Title
    Thanks

Red face Newbie

Hey, I was hoping to find out how to make a start with OpenVix. I am new to Linux based receivers and also the accompanied terminology.
    I have purchased a Technomate TM-Nano-SE M2 Plus receiver, and I am using to receive transmissions from HellasSat 3 at 39 E using a single LNB and fixed dish (80cm), at the moment I get RIKsat and RIK 1,2,3,4 as well as EPTWorld, very pleased.
    Where do I start, when I start the receiver it shows a page with the logo 4D, so I am assuming that is the default image?, is there anyway of improving it, would an OpenVix image be any better, give better facilities/opportunities etc. I would appreciate any kind of help and guidance as I am slowly learning but it is slow. Thank you

Title
    Thanks
    I think your supposed to introduce yourself first then post. But go to forum page and scroll down and you will find dedicated support for your box and say what image you are currently using.

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you what kind of introduction did you have in mind?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Most people on this forum use OpenVix as the main image (think of it like operating system) on their receiver. You are limited to choices on your receiver. Try them and settle on image you like.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for this information I am now usin g Openvix and I like it well. I have been interested in the use of the remote access program OpenWebif, but I am told it needs to be secure when accessing it, if I enable HTTP authentication, it then asks for username and password in order to gain access, how do I set up this please.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappas View Post
    Thanks for this information I am now usin g Openvix and I like it well. I have been interested in the use of the remote access program OpenWebif, but I am told it needs to be secure when accessing it, if I enable HTTP authentication, it then asks for username and password in order to gain access, how do I set up this please.
    I am rather disappointed that having asked this question nobody appears to have the time or inclination to offer any kind of reply. I get the distinct impression that newbies like myself are perhaps viewed as a disruption from the all important work that all the experts on this forum are carrying out, I came on this forum with the open mind of a non expert knowing full well my contribution will be limited, but willing to learn, clearly I was perhaps mistaken, but correct me if I am wrong, as I am seriously thinking of saying goodbuy.

Title
    Thanks
    no need to use security settings when you stay on local network.Just don't open portforwarding in your router.

Use ipadress box /# for webif in your browser.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bellejt For This Useful Post:

Zappas (09-12-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think a bit of over reaction here. All of us were newbies at one time including me. I have never been on a more helpful forum. There are times when forum members with specific knowledge to your issue may have missed your post or are not available to help. Just give your post a bump if no ones replies. Someone will get to you eventually.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Try reading this thread if you need to set a password.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...word-cannot-be
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

Zappas (09-12-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappas View Post
    I am rather disappointed that having asked this question nobody appears to have the time or inclination to offer any kind of reply.
    Usually you will get answers fairly quickly for general easily answered questions.

In this case as long as you are not trying to access your box outside of your own home network, and your home network is already secure then no security is needed - just type the IP of the box into your browsers address bar.

By default the box's user and password
    user = root
    password = leave balnk (no password)

You can change the password yourself if required.

I get the distinct impression that newbies like myself are perhaps viewed as a disruption from the all important work that all the experts on this forum are carrying out,
    Most/all replies will be from fellow users who at one time were also new to these Enigma 2 boxes. As for the "experts" I've had additional files supplied to me back on the forum hours after posting a request and/or posing a question.

I came on this forum with the open mind of a non expert knowing full well my contribution will be limited, but willing to learn, clearly I was perhaps mistaken, but correct me if I am wrong, as I am seriously thinking of saying goodbuy.
    You are wrong. Stick with it and after a while you will see that most people get the help they require very quickly BUT it does rely on people in their own free time actually reading the forum which may only happen once a day - or a longer period. In addition some people may only read posts in some sub-sections of the forum. You seem to have been unlucky that no-one has replied quickly, however the title of the thread is "newbie" and I guess that most forum readers would assume that it's about someone introducing themselves and not bother reading beyond the first post. If you had posted a new thread about webif security I'll bet more people would have read it.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

Ashley69 (09-12-17),Zappas (09-12-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... and if you don't get any answers, you can always search the forum - many questions have been asked before.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Zappas (09-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind and reassuring words, I think my impatient nature has got the better of me and went about it the wrong way, I would say that I do enjoy this forum but I get very frustrated with myself as I know so very little, I ask your forgiveness for being somewhat rude when clearly people have been and continue to be helpful.
    Thank you for the information, it all makes perfect sense when you know how.