I use VLC to stream to my laptop from my satellite box. I am on Windows 10 64bit and use IE11 and trying to stream .m3u files from Openwebif

There used to be an option in IE /Settings/View downloads where you could untick "Always ask before opening this type of file" so that the .m3u would open in VLC without having to click one of the Open/Save/Save As/Cancel prompts every time.

This option has disappeared in the latest update to IE11 as a supposed security feature. It's very annoying to have to click a fresh prompt every time I change channel/change stream. Does anyone know of a workaround (without suggesting use another browser please)?

I've seen a suggested workaround of adding a reg key like this example for pdf that restores "Always ask before opening this type of file" option:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
"AcroPDF.PDF.1"=dword:00000000

I can't get it to work as yet and think I need the numerical value for the .m3u file/not sure what to call the DWORD value. Does anyone have this key in an older version of IE?

[I know .m3u files are usually WMP playlists but I have the extension set up to open with VLC]