Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Surround sound

Title
    Thanks

Surround sound

Hi all

I have a Duo2 , an LG 3d Bluray player surround sound system and a sony 65inch tv.

The TV and LG system support ARC ( not sure what this means)

I can only get sound to work by connecting duo2 to LG SS

How do I get it so the built in tv tuners also work through the surround sound system ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    If you're sure the LG system supports ARC (audio return), then you need to ensure the HDMI cable from the LG is plugged into the HDMI socket on the Sony marked ARC and set both to use ARC. You should be able to playback audio from the Sony through the LG. I'm assuming the Sony is a "smart" TV and is connected to the internet so that it is streaming from YoyTube, Netflix or whatever? Otherwise ARC is of little consequence assuming you are feeding various sources through the LG to the Sony.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Yes its a smart TV, With youtube , Netflix etc

Title
    Thanks
    Do you know how to set the Sony TV to use the ARC? or will it recognize it automatically ?

Title
    Thanks
    Scrap that, do I then connect the duo2 into another hdmi on the tv and the sound from the duo 2 will also go down the ARC to the SSsystem?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    You should really be connecting the duo2 into another input on the LG (if it has one). I use a Sony AV amp to accept inputs from my Quad Plus receiver, my Sony BluRay player and my thirty quid media player and it outputs sound to the connected speakers and video to my Samsung TV. I have ARC on the TV (and the Sony) but it's broken my heart trying to get it to work consistently. My TV has Netflix and YouTube and I used to have it working well as a Dolby/DTS 5.1 source to the AV amp. Once I introduced my cheapo media player into the mix, the Sony AV amp has decided not to play nice any more so ARC doesn't work properly. I think it's an issue with the Sony firmware but I am wasting my time trying to get Sony to see it that way
    ARC depends on a compatible connection and cooperating boxes as it uses CEC to communicate. I think the problem in my case is that the cheapo media player "hogs" the link and the the crap Sony firmware can't handle it properly so it ignores my Samsung TV and doesn't play back the sound!
    This is only to illustrate that ARC is not that straightforward to implement...
    If you don't actually have extra inputs on the LG, then maybe the Sony will accept input from the duo2 and it should output all sound to the LG. Only you can determine this by checking the manual etc.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

daz450 (10-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    The LG has arc out port is that what I need to connect to the tv arc port,Or do I need an arc in port on the LG as?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    what about spdif out from duo2 to input of surround system if it has one?