Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: House re-wiring

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

House re-wiring

I have a general cabling question that I am hoping somebody with a lot more knowledge than me can help with.

Currently moving home, and a bit of re-wiring work is going on, so I am adding 2 COAX and 2 CAT6 cables to all rooms, all running back to a central location.

At the moment the telephone line (BT) and cable (Virgin) master sockets are both located at the front door.
    I am moving from a non-cable area, so this gives me additional options for broadband / TV.

My plan was to run 2 CAT6 cables from the master socket area to the central room, with the BT / Virgin router/modem to be located more or less at the front door, and these CAT6 running to a switch in central room to distribute the network to each room as needed.

As mentioned I have no previous experience on cable side of things, only satellite. From brief research I believe the Virgin signal is split at source into TV / Broadband. So I was wondering, if I leave one COAX cable running from the master socket at the front door into the central room – could this then be split in the central room to be sent to whichever rooms TVs will be located? Or would there be signal loss etc.

I haven’t decided which provider to go with as yet for TV / Broadband – but my thinking is to add cable now to allow for Virgin, without the need for their engineers to drill walls etc as an after thought.

Any advice appreciated – even on the future proofing side of things

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Better to run more coax cables....as the old phrase goes " if you're gonna run one...run two... "

I cabled my house up years ago when I was renovating...my virgin box is in the loft and then 4x rj45's to where the router is 1 rj45 returns back up to feed the network switch. I have a 48 port switch in the roof next to the virgin box which then feeds the house...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Comfysofa; 04-10-17 at 09:50.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Oh. As a rule never run coax or rj45 alongside mains cable....you can cross over but never alongside. My house is like spaghetti junction under the floorboards and in the walls but I've adhered to those rules and everything works fine...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for advice re: crossing / alongside - have a spark doing the work so hoping he's well versed in that area.

No issues running 1 or 2 cables, but just trying to work out how signal strength / splitting works regarding the Virgin cable for TV etc.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No prob....

There's no need to split anything if you run more than one.