Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Upgrading to Sky HD

Title
    Thanks

Upgrading to Sky HD

Hi Chaps,

I am looking to get an HD receiver, I like the look of the Vu+ Duo and will go down this route but my quandary is this, I now have Sky plus, with all the packages, films & sports etc. but how do I get sky to turn on the HD if I don’t have a Sky HD box? I understand how to get the card to work with a linux box but I don’t know how to get the HD entitlements onto my card. Is it just a matter of phoning up sky and requesting HD and paying the money or is there more to it than that

Any thoughts.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    you would need to ring sky and sign up to their hd package which is a further cost on top of your existing sd subscription. even if you had a hd box you still would not have he ability to view pay hd channels without paying for the hd package. buying a vu+ duo does not solve this problem. no matter what the box you must have access to a hd subscription to watch hd channels

Title
    Thanks
    Also, if you ring sky don't just say I want 12mths HD, haggle with them :-)

I added it to my package recently and got 6 mths free and free sky hd box.

Done it just to get the box so I can use anytime+

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, I understand this, this is what I want to do, I want to pay for and watch HD but on a box of my choice, my question is - can I get the HD switced on card without a sky HD box.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    probably not without raising eyebrows at SKY, I think it in there T&C that you use a Sly box.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    absolutely not

Title
    Thanks
    Looks like I need to buy a second hand box from a car boot sale then, marry the card to that box then get it updated to HD then put the box in the cupboard and insert the card in my new Vu+ box. Is this the only way. Or could I use a friends box to upate my card?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvce View Post
    Hi, I understand this, this is what I want to do, I want to pay for and watch HD but on a box of my choice, my question is - can I get the HD switced on card without a sky HD box.
    I have heard of members who have said they have bought a sky hd box off a friend/ebay etc, and told sky to update their package to hd (actually buying the box from places, not an excuse ). Reason for doing so, being that they don't want to update to a further 12mth contract, and agree to not having a 12 mth warranty with the box... So, could be an idea to do that. But, if I were you, do what sanderson says. Get the 6 month deal, with free hd box, and either sell the box on, or just enjoy the cheaper price, and have the sky box as a spare

[Edit]

Quote Originally Posted by dvce View Post
    Looks like I need to buy a second hand box from a car boot sale then, marry the card to that box then get it updated to HD then put the box in the cupboard and insert the card in my new Vu+ box. Is this the only way. Or could I use a friends box to upate my card?
    Only saw this after my posting I dunno about whether you would actually need to give them the new box serial actually... So, could be that. If you use a friends box, then theirs would need to be married to the hd box again...

Why not just haggle and get free box and cheaper subscription
    Last edited by pooface; 21-01-11 at 21:39.
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    any time you update your package you agree to a 12 month contract renewal. weather you get a box from them or not. same goes if you decrease your package.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    any time you update your package you agree to a 12 month contract renewal. weather you get a box from them or not. same goes if you decrease your package.
    Really?! Cheeky buggers
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    yes mate you still go on a 12 month no matter what its called a second hand subsription where you have your own box and just marry the cards i am using a second hand sub and wanted to cancel and they said no i need to finish 12 months from starting it
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Really?! Cheeky buggers
    yup, just another way for them to get their claws into you. you can have the same sub for 5 years but the instant you make any changes to it you are essentially agreeing to a new 12 month sub.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.