Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Another "Which box should I get" question

Title
    Thanks

Another "Which box should I get" question

First post, please be gentle.
    I'm another person looking to move from a Topfield environment and wondered if anyone can recommend something that can meet my requirements- bear in mind I haven't a clue what I'm looking for!

Only looking to watch / record Freeview.
    Have a "nice" EPG / Recording interface (used to MyStuff on Topfield).
    Would like to be able to record directly to network (currently WHS2011).
    Would like to be able to watch from two TVs, so expect will need two devices - possibly one "master" used to record and one "junior" used for live watching and playback of recorded TV (or even two "Masters"?
    Maybe have some sort of Windows or Android interface for setting recordings from anywhere in the house? Or anywhere in the world?!

Does the above sound reasonable? Are there any other requirements I should be thinking of?

thanks all

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S&O View Post
    I'm another person looking to move from a Topfield environment and wondered if anyone can recommend something that can meet my requirements- bear in mind I haven't a clue what I'm looking for!

Would like to be able to watch from two TVs, so expect will need two devices - possibly one "master" used to record and one "junior" used for live watching and playback of recorded TV (or even two "Masters"?
    Maybe have some sort of Windows or Android interface for setting recordings from anywhere in the house? Or anywhere in the world?!

Does the above sound reasonable? Are there any other requirements I should be thinking of?

thanks all
    I'm new at this game too - but have just set up a Mutant HD51 to replace Sky. I'm using two DVB-T and one DVB-S tuners (don't need 3 but had a spare USB tuner so "why not". Most of what you want is certainly available with this box or one of the competitors. I'm using the Slyk1 skin (with the tabbed epg mod) which makes it feel like Sky, even if the Sky channels are not there (no great loss). It does give flexibility in eg recording two things and watching a third. I would think there is a skin that would make you feel at home. The only thing I don't like about the mutant is the horrible plasticky remote which I have replaced with a One4All Simple 4 - much nicer and does the Telly and amp too.

Regarding web interface - its all there thanks to the Openwebif plug in. With a bit of port forwarding not only can you remotely control and set recording, you can also stream to your LAN and across the internet - its fantastic - like a built in Slingbox. And (unlike slingbox) it won't disturb a local viewer if you have more than one tuner.

For watching in two locations, I'm using coaxial distribution and a Technomate HDMI-RF modulator, using my phone to control the box at the other TV.Don't think there's a master/slave solution, but I may be wrong. An Android Set Top Box running a free app like Dream Player should do the trick though (same app you use on a phone).

Recording directly to Network I haven't tried, but there is a Samba plug in (which you can use instead/as well as FTP to push/pull content from the box). It also means the box can be a Network resource itself. I would imagine you could add NAS as a Network mount and record directly to that but not tried

I don't think any of these boxes support catchup TV directly (happy to be proved wrong) but I believe it is available through Kodi (which runs very nicely on the box). That's a project for another day.

I'm actually considering a second box to replace the outgoing Sky multiroom box, may try the Octagon 4008 to compare, but I from what I've read you should get a decent solution from Mutant, Octagon, VU+ and the like - and makes sense to get 4K ready now - they are higher-specced to better placed for remote streaming and the like. I got mine through World of Satellite which seems to be about the best place price wise.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulinplaistow For This Useful Post:

A&S&O (09-10-17),Sicilian (08-10-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S&O View Post

thanks all

I've narrowed my choices down a bit, can anyone offer any more suggestions / recommendations?

I only need terrestrial / freeview. My TV can only display 720p.

Mutant HD51 - only has 2 tuners.

Octagon SF4008 - 2 or 3 tuners.

VU+ Duo2 with 2 twin tuners. This box seems to have been around since 2013 - does that matter? The small LCD screen seems a bit gimmicky, thats the reason I discounted the XTrend ET8500.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The ET8500 is a great box and supports up to 4 tuners. You can turn the LCD panel off if you don't like it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

A&S&O (07-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willo3092 View Post
    The ET8500 is a great box and supports up to 4 tuners. You can turn the LCD panel off if you don't like it.
    OK, that's added another choice to my list! You've made my decision even more difficult

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    If you want to be sharing around the house with a slave/master setup, you want as many tuners as possible. The ET8500 allows for 4 tuner cards.

Irrespective of which receiver you get, you can stream off it using PC/Kodi devices or even another E2 receiver.

You can set timers using applications like DreamDroid, OpenWebif or this application
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...GB-application

9. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (08-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    ..... and with the ET8500, if you are not into opening up the receiver, it has a HDD caddy that slides into the side of the receiver .... and if you have to open it up, it takes about 5 seconds (twist 2 knurled nuts and the top comes off) compared to the normal philips screwdriver, 6 plus screws and endless fiddling to remove and replace the top for most receivers.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    OK, I'm almost swayed towards the ET8500.

Are there any reasons for not going for that one? "Older" technology? Not 4K (for future use)?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Depends on your budget and whether you need 4K (and the changes such as Oscam and perhaps FBC tuners).
    At the current ET8500 price you can easily setup your master/slave arrangement and then when thats sorted and you need/want 4K go into it eyes open
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Another vote for the ET8500, 4 tuners in mine 4 TVs in the house the 3 others have a android box on them I use Kodi with the VU+/Enigma2 PVR plugin which gives full EPG and access to the recordings that are on the HD in the ET8500, very happy with the setup.

Title
    Thanks
    Really pleased with the ET8500 too,simple HDD install and decent remote.
    Will have to give that PVR plugin a go.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverblack View Post
    Really pleased with the ET8500 too,simple HDD install and decent remote.
    Will have to give that PVR plugin a go.
    Best to create a favorites bouquet and just lead that into the Kodi plugin,

Title
    Thanks
    I have to say the ET8500. One of the best boxes i've had in a long while. Its small and compact so fits nicely under the TV and has really quick channel changing and can have a multitude of different tuners installed. Dont make the mistake i did though, pay the extra money for the tuners when buying it.

It has very good support from most of the image teams so you have an excellent choice of images to run on it. It also comes with a remote which can control your TV so no need for loads of remotes cluttering up the living room.

I'm swayed between OpenPli and OpenVix on mine. I do also believe you can get it to multiboot different images from flash.