Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Freeview HD Receiver to get?

Title
    Thanks

Question Advice on Freeview HD Receiver to get?

Hello all,

I'm sure you get regular posts asking for advice on which receiver to get, so I hope you won't mind me asking as well

I'm coming from a Topfield TF5800PVR which I was first drawn to by the ability to modify it's look and functionality by either TAPS or firmware changes. My second Toppy has finally died and so I'm looking for a new PVR. I already have a YouView box as a temporary replacement, but I hate the slow response, poor EGP, diabolical archive (recordings menu). I was going to get a Panasonic PVR as it looked half decent but then a thread on the toppy.org.uk forum lead me to this website which has opened my eyes to the alternative receives available.

So, what I'm looking for is something with multi Freeview HD tuners, reliable, easy for initial setup but has options to delve deeper as my understanding increases. I also want to be able to copy the recorded files onto another PC/Drive via LAN, set recordings via web/mobile. I don't necessarily need 4K at this time. I realise that some of these will be down to the user interface software and will probably go for OpenVix.
    EDIT. Forgot to add that I'd like to have the ability to change what the VFD/LCD front panels show if possible to show the recording/playback status as possibly other things. Not sure if this is down to the box itself or OpenVix though.

I've narrowed my list down to:

• VU+ Duo 2 (SELECT YOUR TUNERS) Enigma2 Linux Receiver Full HD 1080p PVR READY
    • OCTAGON SF4008 4K UHD 2160p Linux Enigma 2 Receiver 3x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuners

Both about the same price and I've read good reviews on them both as well. Is there anything I should know about either of these that may sway my choice? I'm sort of tempted for the Octogon at the moment.

Appreciate any help you can provide. If there are any guides/FAQs I should look at please let me know, though I've tried to read up on what I can so far.

Cheers
    Last edited by Cirrus; 24-09-17 at 11:30.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Cirrus

Having just had my Toppy die on me, I have opted for a Mutant HD51. It comes with 2 tuners (DVB-S/S2 or DVB-C/T/T2) and an optional hard drive. It will probably do most of what you want, but I am not sure about the front panel display customisation. It is very well priced and is a 4K box. It might be worth considering.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    The Vu+ Duo2 would be your best bet as you can tinker with the display screens, and the Vu+ Duo2 is a solid receiver and a great remote to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    The Vu+ Duo2 would be your best bet as you can tinker with the display screens, and the Vu+ Duo2 is a solid receiver and a great remote to go with it.
    ... and if you're only using freeview, you could select 2 twin hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuners, giving you 4 terrestrial tuners in total.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments so far.

@wooders7
    I had forgotten about the Mutant. I did consider it but then discounted it, but I can't remember why. It does look like a good price. How have you found it after moving from the Toppy? Are there any features you miss? How's it been with reliability and setup? I've heard that the remote is a bit on the cheap side.

@Andy_Hazza / @ccs

If I add 2 x twin tuners as well that the needed HDD it's going to push it towards £400, which is more than I really want to pay, but I appreciate the comments and advise so far. It does look like a nice box though.

Do all boxes support on demand services (iPlayer, ITVhub, All4 etc) in OpenVix? It's not essential as I may just get a firestick so I can access Amazon Prime as well.
    The one thing that really annoys me with the YouView box is the sluggish EGP and Recordings menus. In the Toppy I had these managed by TAPS which had all the data stored on the HDD, so when you pressed the EPG or archive buttons the info came up instantly. I assume it's the similar on all these boxes as well, with all the data displayed without any delay?
    Last edited by Cirrus; 24-09-17 at 19:41.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    You won't go far wrong with either of your two choices.

For an overview of the software/firmware see www.openvix.co.uk

Note that Enigma 2 receivers don't support ondemand services such as iplayer, itvhub etc...
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    @Sicilian

Thanks for the comment. I'm not too bothered about on-Demand as I will probably use something else for that.

I'm not probably either going to go for the Octagon SF4008 or Mutant HD51. Which of these would you recommend? I'm tempted now by the Mutant

Cheers

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    @Sicilian

Thanks for the comment. I'm not too bothered about on-Demand as I will probably use something else for that.

I'm not probably either going to go for the Octagon SF4008 or Mutant HD51. Which of these would you recommend? I'm tempted now by the Mutant

Cheers
    Depends how many tuners you require. SF4008 can have 3x tuners, the HD51 2x tuners.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Depends how many tuners you require. SF4008 can have 3x tuners, the HD51 2x tuners.
    Hi.

I was originally thinking 3 would be wise, but I can always use the youview box if there are any serious clashes that can't be resolved. So discounting the number of tuners which would be the better option would you say?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    They are both on a par so down to looks n which remote you prefer the look of etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Hi.

I was originally thinking 3 would be wise, but I can always use the youview box if there are any serious clashes that can't be resolved. So discounting the number of tuners which would be the better option would you say?
    Both are good receivers, imho I'd say the SF4008 is a little more versatile with the tuner options.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    HD51 vs SF4008
    Looks - both as bad - black tin box
    Picture - both excellent in HD and 4K
    Chip - same, but HD51 makes better use of the chip features.
    Sf4008 has power on/off switch - a big tick vs HD51
    Tuners - both do S2/S2x/C/T2 - SF4008 3 tuners vs 2 HD51
    Remote SF4008 is slightly better
    Features & support - Mutant don't say a lot but deliver, Octagon have promised a lot but are slow to deliver and the recent AC3 issue doesn't help me tick their box... but HD51 also has motorised dish issue!
    Mutant has in built multiboot. which for some of us is a real plus
    Last edited by twol; 25-09-17 at 09:07.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    thanks all for the comments so far. You're not making it easy for me though as it sounds like both the Mutant and Octagon are worth getting

I'm not to bothered about the "black tin box" look. The more anonymous the better
    Since it's going to be freeview only the motor dish issue is not a consideration.
    I've not really looked at multi-boot but will do some research to see if this is something I would be interested in.

I guess my main requirement is reliability. Is one better than the other in this regard, or is it mainly down to the OpenVix version you use?

Cheers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    I only had the SF4008 for a few months, but it seemed pretty solid.
    The HD51 is my „test“ receiver, so gets treated badly, ...... and so far survives, so I would say it is pretty reliable.

I think either receiver would be fine, it comes down to what you are willing to pay ,,, and at the current WoS price, the HD51 is a snip
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    and the recent AC3 issue doesn't help me tick their box... but HD51 also has motorised dish issue!
    Both are satellite issues - the OP is going to use it for UK Terrestrial which has AAC audio coding doesn't require a motorised dish.
    AAC5.1 which is used for a minority of HD programs can be a problem if connecting to an older AV amp if you want the complete surround sound experience - that's why most of my HD viewing is satellite which uses AC3 audio which my AV supports. AAC5.1 can be down-mixed on these boxes so it doesn't seem to be a problem for most users.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast