Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Timeshift question

Title
    Thanks

Timeshift question

I took delivery of a Mutant HD51 box running the latest OpenVix on Wednesday; had a satellite dish installed on Thursday, and have managed to set it up pretty much as I would like it. The only area for which I have found very little information is Timeshift.

Until recently I have been using a Topfield TF5800 PVR that would automatically start filling a 1-hour rolling timeshift buffer as soon as you changed channel. This was good for scrolling back to view something again, pausing live TV to answer the phone, and all safe in the knowledge that it would not consume the whole HD if left unattended for long periods of time.

Is there any way to do a similar thing on my new box?

Additionally, is there any way to set a recurring timer to change to a given channel but not start recording?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wooders7 View Post
    I took delivery of a Mutant HD51 box running the latest OpenVix on Wednesday; had a satellite dish installed on Thursday, and have managed to set it up pretty much as I would like it. The only area for which I have found very little information is Timeshift.

Until recently I have been using a Topfield TF5800 PVR that would automatically start filling a 1-hour rolling timeshift buffer as soon as you changed channel. This was good for scrolling back to view something again, pausing live TV to answer the phone, and all safe in the knowledge that it would not consume the whole HD if left unattended for long periods of time.

Is there any way to do a similar thing on my new box?

Additionally, is there any way to set a recurring timer to change to a given channel but not start recording?
    Enable timeshift

Menu -> Setup -> Recordings, playback, and timeshift -> Timeshift -> Automatically start timeshift after = say, 10 seconds
    IMPORTANT press green to save. When new to the box/VIX you have to remember that menu options are necessarily saved until you press the green button.

In the background this will record the channel you are watching so that you can rewind etc. It also has the Mystuff type feature that you can use what's in this buffer to record a whole program when its part way through (assuming the box was displaying the channel when the program started). To check this out press the record button on the remote whilst watching the current program (assuming that you have already enabled the automatic timeshift option)

When you set any timer you have 3 option: record, zap = CHANGE CHANNEL ONLY, or zap and record. For instance when in the EPG select a program in the future, press "Add timer" (green button) and in the menu that comes up change the timer type to zap. In general "add timer" is for a single event and add "auto timer" is for a repeating event . If you have repeating program that you want to watch each day set up an autotimer search and set it for Zap only.
    Last edited by adm; 23-09-17 at 18:30.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

wooders7 (24-09-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks adm for your prompt reply, I have followed your advice and will see how I fare.

Title
    Thanks
    If left undisturbed, what is the maximum size or duration of the timeshift buffer?

What actions/keypresses will kill the timeshift buffer (assuming that it is set to be silently deleted)?
    Mutant HD51, OpenVix, 2 x DVB-S/S2 tuners, 1TB HD.