Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Qbox mini or TM 800

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Qbox mini or TM 800

Hi peeps, i am contemplating buying a 2nd box to use in the bedroom but will need wifi to connect to my network and having read a few of the comments on this forum about these 2 boxes can somebody possibly let me know which one they would purchase from the 2 named in the thread title and why..Cheers for all your help, John...

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,052 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Personally I'd look at the specs.

TM 800 has more ram.
    Faster CPU.
    2 Scart sockets.
    RF Loop through.
    Internal SATA for internal HDD.
    FREE WIFI N.
    Latest DW images gives you Coolepg guide, Rytec EPG Importer + some other good features.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers Sic, just ordered myself the tm, with a free wifi dongle thrown in for good measure.Thanks for the input..

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I managed to get hold of a jtaged TM800 today for a few hours to have a play with I stuck the DW image on it and all worked well although I could not get wifi to work but worked fine wired straight to router.

Picture quality on both boxes was exelent epg exactly same on both boxes.

Channel picons working in epg on mini but not on the TM but sure that will be sorted.

both boxes recorded fine on sd & hd playback same no problems there on either box.

HD skins for mini but not TM.

RF output on TM not on mini handy if you want to send signal to other Tvs around the house.

Tm has a better remote control but thats my choice as mini has exit in the wrong position lol.

Tm has two scart sockets but to be honest dont know why you would ever need two I doubt most people would ever even use one its a HD box lol.

mini has twin tuners plug and play S/T/C TM fixed S tuner. I only have one tuner just now so cant say how good this box is as a twin tuner receiver.

mini has 1.5in lcd display TM standard display. I like this it looks good with the picons on.

TM has free wifi if bought from our sponsors.

overall as a single tuner box I dont think there is much to choose between the two boxes, when i get a second tuner I will compare it again.

I found both boxes easy to setup both can be flashed by usb simples.

Price TM800 £239 Qbox min £179 as a single tuner

Both supplyed by our sponsor
    Last edited by mickbrush; 21-01-11 at 20:14.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mickbrush For This Useful Post:

bassethound (21-01-11),pooface (22-01-11),Sicilian (21-01-11),succuba (22-01-11)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Mick are you saying the display is better on the TM?

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    No mate the LCD display is realy nice on the mini you can have it showing channel picons looks very nice.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Sounds good, extra tuners can be had for £25 so for around £200 you have a twin tuner HD box, an tempted but need to convince the misses we need another HD TV

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeh I have seen them @ £200 with two tuners I wish I had waited a little longer before buying mine im hopeing our sponsor gets some in soon at a good price.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    many options of doing wifi. best is to buy cheap router like dlink 615, load it with ddwrt software and then allow it to act as repeater to your primary modem. so then you have wireless link to devices upstairs

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbrush View Post
    I managed to get hold of a jtaged TM800 today for a few hours to have a play with I stuck the DW image on it and all worked well although I could not get wifi to work but worked fine wired straight to router.
    Just tested wifi 'N' on both UR and DW images, worked spot on, on both.

To setup correctly follow this: -

Press Menu > Setup > System > Network > Select Wireless > Scan Wireless Networks > If 'enter hidden network SSID appears first you must WAIT for scan to finish.

Once scan is finished select your network > Set use Interface to yes > Set your encryption type as set on your router > Enter your Encryption Key and press ok. All done
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (22-01-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    sicilian I did try exactly as above but it just was not having it m8. Maybe its just having problems with certain routers.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbrush View Post
    sicilian I did try exactly as above but it just was not having it m8. Maybe its just having problems with certain routers.
    Routers i've tested with are Netgear WNR2000, Linksys WRT54GS and D-Link-615.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE