Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrestrail HD channel Scan - Craigkelly

Title
    Thanks
    Right. I'm struggling with this a little bit, and getting myself confused with how this all works.

I've carried out steps 1..5 from post 9 above, and then used the updated ABM_T2_XML file (only change is to add a timestamp to the file name?) to create the custom transponder zip file. This time I seem to have generated the correct entries for Craigkelly. Please refer to attached.

Unfortunately, I still get a tune failed error when I tune to some channels after running ABM. Is this because the terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml file has the wrong Craigkelly data in it? I'll try updating it, and see how I get on.

Edit. Ok updating terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml with the output from ABM_T2_XML seems to have solved the issue. Everything attached below. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

terrestrial_Custom_transponder.xml_2017-09-21_12-45-32.zip
    Last edited by chaser; 22-09-17 at 08:54. Reason: Updated attachment

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser View Post
    Right. I'm struggling with this a little bit, and getting myself confused with how this all works.

I've carried out steps 1..5 from post 9 above, and then used the updated ABM_T2_XML file (only change is to add a timestamp to the file name?) to create the custom transponder zip file. This time I seem to have generated the correct entries for Craigkelly. Please refer to attached.

Unfortunately, I still get a tune failed error when I tune to some channels after running ABM. Is this because the terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml file has the wrong Craigkelly data in it? I'll try updating it, and see how I get on.

Edit. Ok updating terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml with the output from ABM_T2_XML seems to have solved the issue. Everything attached below. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

terrestrial_Custom_transponder.xml_2017-09-21_12-45-32.zip
    Should some of those frequencies by labelled with _________" system="1" rtaher than them all being labelled with _________" system="0"?

I assume that "0" refers to MUX with SD encoding (64QAM 8K 2/3 24.1Mb/s DVB-T MPEG2)
    and
    "1" refers to MUX with HD encoding (256QAM 32KE 2/3 40.2Mb/s DVB-T2 MPEG4)

Attached image is taken from https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Cr...ly/PGSTART370/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Should some of those frequencies by labelled with _________" system="1" rtaher than them all being labelled with _________" system="0"?
    That's happening because the system attribute is absent from the terrestrial.xml file.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-al...9feba02e04980e
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Now I'm really confused, and I'm worried I'm confusing everyone else. Have I done something wrong here?

I've done a manual scan of Craigkelly. I believe that generated the lamedb & lamedb5 files. I then ran the ABM_T2_XML plugin to generate the terrestrial_Custom_transponder.xml file which generated the following:

Code:
    <provider>
    	<customtransponders>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="522000000" transport_stream_id="107c" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="498000000" transport_stream_id="2011" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="642000000" transport_stream_id="3005" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="474000000" transport_stream_id="40bc" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="666000000" transport_stream_id="5040" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="618000000" transport_stream_id="6040" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="546000000" transport_stream_id="800f" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="570000000" transport_stream_id="a000" system="0"/>
    		<customtransponder key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" frequency="578000000" transport_stream_id="b000" system="0"/>
    	<customtransponders>
    <provider>
    Note how all transponders report 'system="0"'.
    I then copied this into the terrestrial_Custom_transponder.xml file, replacing existing Craigkelly entries. I replaced key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" with key="Craigkelly___________" for all the Craigkelly transponders.

What should I have done to pick up the 'system=1' flags for the HD channels? Or is this just something which needs to be done manually?

Title
    Thanks
    Should some of those frequencies by labelled with _________" system="1" rather than them all being labelled with _________" system="0"?
    Out of interest, what difference does this actually make? I'm now receiving both HD & SD channels with system=0 being set for all frequencies.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    It just tells the tuner it is a DVB-T2 frequency.

Attach the ABM file yo are using here. What is the status of using ABM with your current file?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Out of interest, what difference does this actually make? I'm now receiving both HD & SD channels with system=0 being set for all frequencies.
    Out of interest, does this override a T setting (as opposed to a T2) setting in the tuner set-up menu on some boxes? If someone has set T as the tuner then system=1 overrides this setting?
    On my current box/OpenVix I don't have a option for a T setting for the tuner but on my old box/older openVIX I did have the choice between T or T2. I also note that in the tuner set-up menu their seems to be a short legacy list for the terrestrial TV regions/transmitters which is incomplete and possibly out-of-date, hence my setting for the region being "United Kingdom, all regions (Europe DVB=T/T2)"

To avoid confusion for new users should this list now be removed?
    Last edited by adm; 22-09-17 at 18:20.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Which list is incomplete please? What is missing?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Which list is incomplete please? What is missing?
    Menu -> Setup -> Tuner Config -> Tuner Set-up and then the setup for a Switchable tuner type (DVB-T2, DVB-C) ---- a hybrid terrestrial tuner

When the country is set UK the list behind the 'region' option only contains a very small sub-set of UK transmitters. There are 15 UK transmitters in that list whereas the UK ABM transmitter list (terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml) contains around 70 transmitters.

Anyone attempting to set-up the transmitter for their region in the tuner set-up menu is going to be frustrated/confused if their transmitter isn't listed. As the option for "UK, all transmitters" seems to work is there any need for the specific transmitter? If there is a need because a box can be set up in many different ways should the list contain at least another 55 UK transmitters?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    The whole UK list will not work for everyone. Unlike normal TVs, Enigma2 does not do the groupings, so you will get clashes in some areas. So. yes, there is a list for those 15 entries. Might be 16 now. The areas were gradually added as people reported errors and also for convenience. If I set as Crystal Palace I can scan all the channels in less than a minute compared to the several minutes it takes for Europe or UK. If system is specified, it does not scan both T and T2.

ABM and E2 scanning are different. There is no need to perform an E2 scan then run ABM. Some people do not use ABM.

That ABM only checks tuner type validity. You could set your tuners as Australia. In ABM, select Freeview UK and you your mast. ABM will still work. However, it won't find the HD services unless the custom transponders are listed. This is because the data is not on the tables/ABM does not read it.

What will adding the 54/5 other transmitters achieve? There will then be a call for repeaters. The list will then become very long. (Not so much of a big deal now that we have country option.) In my opinion, there is only benefit in adding areas that have clash from other masts. Terrestrial and Cable do not change very often, there is no need for regular scans anyway.

I didn't comment on this in order to avoid conflict.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post457745

However, edits to be considered
    Instead of
    Code:
    Note: In the tuner set-up set the region to UK all regions (Europe DVB-T/T2) and NOT a specific UK region/transmitter
    Code:
    Note: In the tuner set-up set the country to UK, If you region is listed, select it. If your area is not listed, select "United Kingdom, all regions"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

adm (23-09-17)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Anyone attempting to set-up the transmitter for their region in the tuner set-up menu is going to be frustrated/confused if their transmitter isn't listed. As the option for "UK, all transmitters" seems to work is there any need for the specific transmitter? If there is a need because a box can be set up in many different ways should the list contain at least another 55 UK transmitters?
    1) What Abu said. Very time consuming for no gain.
    2) You end up scanning in multiple identical transponders.
    3) Depending on scan order, if one transponder is weak and the same identical transponder (with same TSID and ONID) is strong, the weak one overwrites the strong one and you get flakey reception.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

adm (23-09-17)

Title
    Thanks
    It just tells the tuner it is a DVB-T2 frequency.

Attach the ABM file yo are using here. What is the status of using ABM with your current file?
    Are you referring to the terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml file? If so, I attached the latest version in post #16. I updated this based on the output from the ABM_T2_XML plugin.

I also noticed an error in my post #19:

Note how all transponders report 'system="0"'.
    I then copied this into the terrestrial_Custom_transponder.xml file, replacing existing Craigkelly entries. I replaced key="TRANSMITTER_NAME" with key="Craigkelly___________" for all the Craigkelly transponders.
    That should have read 'I then copied this into the terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml file...' Unfortunately, I can't edit that post any more.
    Last edited by chaser; 23-09-17 at 10:46.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    You are using hardware/drivers that can't differentiate. For users that are using hardware/drivers that work properly it is important this is correct.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

adm (23-09-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    You are using hardware/drivers that can't differentiate. For users that are using hardware/drivers that work properly it is important this is correct.
    So, for those using tuner drivers that don't differentiate between T (sd) and T2 (hd) the "system" attribute doesn't make any difference. For those using tuner drivers that do differentiate having the correct "system" attribute is required. As the "ABM.xml" file will be used on many boxes with many different tuner manufactures setting the "system=1" attribute for UK HD MUXs is recommended to support all OpenVix users.
    Thanks for this clarification.

For my own benefit only, and out of curiosity...

In the terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml (or whichever file name that has been used in this thread) not all transmitters have a custom list of MUX (transponder) frequencies. They have only a single frequency allocated to the transmitter name in the <dvbtconfigs> section. For these entries how does the box/ABM know which MUX to scan or to allocate to that transmitter?

While some people may be extremely lucky in that their aerial only picks up the signal from one transmitter many living in the transmitter region may actually receive signals from 2, 3 or 4 transmitters especially since analogue switch off when the broadcast digital power was increased and people fitting wide-band aerials (erroneously advertised as digital aerials). Transmissions from neighbouring transmitters are often unreliable.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Code:
    Note: In the tuner set-up set the country to UK, If you region is listed, select it. If your area is not listed, select "United Kingdom, all regions"
    Noted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast