Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Openvpn and wget: bad address 'ipecho.net'

Title
    Thanks

Openvpn and wget: bad address 'ipecho.net'

Hi,

my setup is openvix 5.0 on my duo2, Trying to run openvpn. but the following happens:

When I connect to the VPN. The logs say its connected but I am not getting any channels back. Tried wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo with VPN disabled and I can see my own IP address but when connected to the vpn it says wget: bad address 'ipecho.net'

Can somebody please advise what I need to do to get the wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo to return my vpn address successfully. My vpn is ipvanish and have transferred across the 3 files ca.ipvanish.com.crt, client.conf and the login.txt

TIA

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi I've heard of this with peeps using VM superhub3 as router.
    If not you must have something wrong in your files.
    Did you make your login.text in notepad++
    In one of the guides on here it shows in good detail setup for openvpn for ipvanish
    found guide for you from post solo² vpn
    xxxxs://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/
    Last edited by v8rick; 10-09-17 at 16:40. Reason: paste in locaction of guide

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response.

I am using a vm superhub 3 and I had followed the guide that you mention.

Created another login.txt file (as orignal had 2 extra blank lines in it). Result was the same whet: bad address.

Anything else you can think of.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Nothern monkey and i sorted nord vpn.His still didnt work for him using superhub.
    i use superhub3 as modem then my own router.
    Superhub3 is your problem i think.(although i will probably get shot down in flames)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    regular questions about openvpn.
    Maybe we need a section on this unless there is already one

Title
    Thanks
    The superhub 3 has no VPN passthrough ( for now )
    I had to put it into modem mode and use my asus router to use a VPN on my cable box.
    Virgin say they will release an update for the superhub 3 to enable VPN's.....but this was months and months ago so dont hold your breath.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I have IPVanish working on my superhub 3. I initially had problems. But when repaired/updated the ipvanish sw it began to work. so there seems to be some sort of pass thru the superhub3

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

Here's an update.

I have a different configuration now. SH3 is in modem mode, attached a Draytek 2830n router. I have set up a Lan to Lan Connection using PPTP with my IPVanish credentials, router connects and shows the ip and packets are flowing. Double checked on my PC and it is connected to my VPN and IP confirms it.

On my Vu+ Duo2, I am not initiating Openvpn but want it to connect to the IPTV service via the Draytek router (which has my VPN running on it). The Duo2 again stops streaming my IPTV service. When I telnet into the box it seems that something is running and it is saying "clear". I press escape a few times and get to the command line and run the the following command "wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo" and it just hangs there with no response of an ip address. When I stop the ipvanish (on the router) or openvpn (on Duo2) and run command "wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo" I do get a response back - the ip address

When the router is running as a vpn I have checked that openvpn is not running on the DUO2.

So, in summary when I run openvpn or I use my router as a vpn the iptv service does not work. In both cases telneting to the Duo2 shows that something is running and the "clear" message is seen. In both cases when at the command line the command "wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo" gives no response.

Any Help guys of what is going on?

One last thing the server that I am connecting to on IPvanish works when I run the iptv service in VLC. It works when I use no VPN, using the ipvanish client and also when the Draytek router is running as a vpn.

TIA

Title
    Thanks
    SOLVED
    =====

I have been able to get my IPTV service working with my VPN (IPVanish). I am using Openvpn on my Duo2 successfully. In the end the fix for me was to include IPVanish's DNS's in the /etc/resolv.conf file.

When I get time I will look at getting it working on my router, currently I do not use DD-WRT or Tomatoe firmware. But thats for another day. Just Glad that I have the service now working with my VPN.

Regards

Title
    Thanks
    hi mate got similar issue as yours from vm superhub 3

Getting bad address following teckings guide : is there any tut on /etc/resolv.conf file
    regards

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fp2979 View Post
    hi mate got similar issue as yours from vm superhub 3

Getting bad address following teckings guide : is there any tut on /etc/resolv.conf file
    regards
    dont matter found what i was looking for dns server for ipvanish for resolv.conf file

up and running only thing found takes a while to clear channels