Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Accessing VU+ Duo behind a second router

Title
    Thanks

Accessing VU+ Duo behind a second router

Hi, I have set up a VU+ duo for a mate's old man. However, for reasons I am not aware of, the network in the house is configured in such a way that the box is behind a 2nd router.

So the basic network setup is like this:

web >> Router A >> 192.168.0.X >> router B >> 192.168.8.X >> VU+

Router B is assigned an IP from router A, on its WAN port (I'm told this is fixed). So the box IP is 192.168.8.100, wheras the main PC is on the 192.168.0.50. How can I ensure that a) he can use the PC to access the box using openwebif, b) the PC can telnet into the box.

If it helps, router B is running openwrt.

Many thanks!

Dan

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Plug the pc into the same router as the vu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    If only it were that easy. No can do, he reckons that due to his work the pc needs to be on a separate router.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I have a "similar" setup where I use dd-wrt to provide a UK VPN.
    I am assuming that the 2nd router has WiFi? If so just use a tablet/laptop/PC to wifi connect into the 2nd router and then telnet/webif/filezilla as per normal
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

dazedconfused (24-08-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If its set up like that I dont think his work wants him to be connecting from the pc to other devices in his home so its best leave it alone. You could set up a static route but you obviously dont know how. As twol suggests use a phone/tablet.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

dazedconfused (24-08-17),micscave (24-08-17)

Title
    Thanks
    He is self employed, he runs an accountancy firm from home, so no problem with work not allowing it.

I have suggested wifi, but the PC is too far from the 2nd router to get signal, plus for some reason he doesn't like wifi - reckons it's insecure? Lol.

A static route sounds like the best way - but you're right I would need some guidance. I have tried opening ports on the router, port forwarding to the VU+ box IP address etc, but won't work. I've managed to get it so that devices connected to router B can see devices connected to router A, but I need it to work the other way round

Title
    Thanks
    I'd just put the routers on the same subnet. But if he's really that worried about security that much and won't use a secure wpa2 WiFi, then perhaps he shouldn't be using a vu box at all!

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    You haven't said why there are 2 routers. Is there more than one wan connection? If not thesecond rrouter should be set up as an access point and use same subnet.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!