Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs recommendation for a receiver

Title
    Thanks

Newbie needs recommendation for a receiver

Hello, first of all I am a complete newbie to all this and most of the terms used in this forum are completely alien to me ("emulators" etc), so please could you bear this in mind in your reply and use really simple terms.

I am here because I'm simply looking for a Freesat satellite receiver that will let me arrange the channels in the order I want, which to me is one of the most basic things a satellite receiver needs to do and I wouldn't even consider buying a box that didn't let me do this. Yet someone told me most boxes don't allow this and I'll need a Linux box, which is how I ended up here.

So basically I am asking for a recommendation because all these different Linux boxes are totally baffling to me and I don't have a clue about any of this.

My wish list is as follows...

1. PVR / can record (at least 2 tuners please)
    2. No WiFi or bluetooth (I noticed that some of these Linux boxes go online - I do not want that, I just want TV)
    3. Can rearrange/delete channels
    4. Channel logos - I normally use a Topfield (Freeview) so used to channel logos.
    5. As customisable as possible, especially the interface/colours

TIA!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi,

I can't recommend a specific box as I've only had the one and it is no longer available

1. There are lots of boxes with multiple tuners, e.g. https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...er_name=ET7500. Remember you will have to add a hard drive in order to record. You can order a box with one fitted at extra cost or fit one yourself if you wish. Even with a single tuner you can record multiple channels as long as they are on the same transponder. That is a difference to the Topfield (I have one of those as well).

2. You say you don't want to connect it to the internet but that will restrict certain abilities, read on

3. There is a plugin (like a TAP on the Topfield) already loaded on openvix called AutoBouquetMaker (*) which makes a good job of sorting the channels into a standard order. If you want a different order then you will need to connect to the box's web interface and manually sort things out. This is just one reason why having a network connection is so useful. I'm not sure if you can delete channels, I've not tried that, but you can hide them.
    * Just to expand on this point. Channels can be kept in named sets called bouquets. The name of those sets, which channels are in each set and the order of those channels can all be changed. The only way I know of doing that is via the web interface. When looking at the program guide or setting timers you can choose which bouquet is used.

4. Various sets of channel logos are available, they are called picons. Just find a set you like. It's normal to keep them on a USB stick plugged in to the box to save the hard disk spinning up each time.

5. Various skins are available via the plugin system, again having a network makes that a lot easier. Not sure you can easily change individual colours but there are plenty of skins out there to try.

I'm no expert but I hope I've helped you a little, good luck with getting your new box

P.S. If you haven't read it yet there is a thread on the toppy forum about moving from Topfield to Openvix which I found very useful.

Mutant HD51, 2x DVB/T2, 1TB HDD
    MB Premium Twin+ Plus, 3x DVB/T2, 1TB HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee James View Post
    2. No WiFi or bluetooth (I noticed that some of these Linux boxes go online - I do not want that, I just want TV)
    You'll really struggle to manage an enigma box without a wifi/ethernet connection.

It can be done, I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if anyone actual does, as you'd be very limited in what you could easily do.

Title
    Thanks
    Better to do a google search for Freesat receiver. Then you can check the reviews and specs as there will be one to suit your needs.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The linux Enigma2 receivers are more versatile. They all come with network ports. As mentioned above, you will need to manipulate them. This is best done over the network. They need access to the plugin servers for installing skins etc. You do not get many standalone skins.

Are you wanting Freeview and Freesat?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks to you all for the replies - really helpful, and this all sounds quite promising.

(Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I don't have regular internet access at the moment.)

A few follow-up questions...

1. Firstly, where can you actually buy these boxes? Is there one main retailer, or many? I saw an Irish chap on YouTube who sells these boxes? Is that the place to go? (I know there are rules here about commercial references, so please forgive me if this question violates anything, and feel free to PM me if so.)

2. I had assumed that all these boxes were unique in how they worked, but (correct me if I'm wrong) from these responses, it sounds as if all these different boxes are basically interchangeable and all run the same kind of software, use the same plugins, skins, logos, etc. ??? - Is that correct? Will all plugins work on all boxes? All skins? Or are there a number of different systems?

3. Well, it really does sound like I'd need to hook up my PC to the box in order to set it up properly, but Wireless is not something I do - I don't have regular internet access, and I wouldn't want to install a wireless modem in my PC (I don't like wireless). So based on what has been said, I suppose I would be looking at something more like an Enigma2, specifically because it has an ethernet port? (I guess I'd need to buy a router too right?)

4. One more question while I'm here: What's the performance like of these boxes in terms of controlling playback/rewinding/pausing etc? I ask because I really miss my first PVR (a DigiFusion) - it gave me perfect, instant control over the playback. But the Topfield I've been using for years is pretty lousy in this respect, very unresponsive, sluggish and jumps back and forth irregularly. So... precise playback control is a feature I would (ideally) like.

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Are you wanting Freeview and Freesat?
    Well I only really came here looking for a Freesat box to sit next to my Freeview box. But I suppose a combined box would be ideal - one box instead of two and much neater. So I would consider either, depending on prices I guess

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    1. If you click on the moving Banner at the top of the page it will take you to WoS - (World of Satellite) who sell all this gear.
    2. There are various E2 images available (like the OpenViX image), that are basically similar but are tailored by each development team to use different skins and some different features/plugins to support the different E2 receivers.
    3. All these receivers really need access to the Internet for setup, installation of skins & plugins, Also you really need some local PC access.
    4. Performance is good, but varies depending on the receiver

These boxes are meant through the image installed to be tailored to the users needs.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Don't forget that freeview is also an option with these boxes.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Twol! A couple of follow-up questions...

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    2. There are various E2 images available (like the OpenViX image), that are basically similar but are tailored by each development team to use different skins and some different features/plugins to support the different E2 receivers.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "image"? Do you mean a ROM image, as in system software? In which case, are all images the same in terms of how much they let you customise the interface? I'm looking for the most customisable one really.

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    3. All these receivers really need access to the Internet for setup, installation of skins & plugins
    That's a shame. I really don't want to have to install internet in my living room just to watch telly! I wouldn't want to have to switch on a router every time I wanted to watch TV. To me that seems kind of crazy. Hopefully I can just hook it up once for the setup (via ethernet) and then disconnect it thereafter.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,947 Times in 3,269 Posts
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...os-mega-osmega

OS Mega is a good box. 3 sat tuners and one of those tuners doubles as a terrestrial tuner. Add a 2.5" internal harddrive and you have a DVR that will put any Freesat receiver to shame.

If you are setting it up as a Freesat box you don't need internet access at all. Using OpenViX image and AutoBouquetsMaker it is possible to do a Freesat scan and channels will be ordered according to Freesat numbering. If you want to customise that numbering that is also possible.

Having local network access or temporary internet access will be helpful when setting the box up, but is not essential for day to day operation. EPG for Freesat channels works direct from the satellite without any need to download anything from the internet.

If I had the choice between a Freesat receiver and an E2 receiver I would choose the E2 receiver 100% of the time. E2 is versatile and expandable for the future, whereas a Freesat receiver is a one-trick-pony.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (03-09-17)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    1) https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/
    2) OpenViX image. It is compatible with pretty much every E2 box sold by world-of-satellite.
    3) Internet access is useful but not essential. All E2 receivers have an ethernet port.
    4) OpenViX has a choice of timeshift on demand or permanent. When not in permanent just press pause and timeshift starts saving.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (03-09-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Huevos! Everything you told me was really helpful, and the specs on the above link seem really good!

I will say (with respect) that personally I find that box a little ugly (I don't like black, angular designs). But to be honest, unit design isn't really all that important to me - it's the on-screen interface that matters most to me!

I still miss my first ever PVR which I found really attractive: https://www.gadgetspeak.com/content/...sion-fvrt2.jpg (that box was also lightning fast and took about 1 second to boot - PVRs seem to be getting worse in some ways LOL!)

Three more questions, for anyone who can help...

5. I am starting to realise that what I need is "Enigma 2" and "OpenVix" which seem the most versatile and have the most options (which is what I want). Sorry to be a dummy but could anyone please explain to me what the relationship is between Enigma 2 and OpenVix? The FAQ doesn't make that clear. They are both software I presume? So... the Enigma 2 is more like the basic OS, while OpenVix is more like an application that runs on that OS? Is that correct? (Sorry to be a dummy!)

6. I presume / hope that when the box boots each day it all just starts working like a normal set top box - rather than the need to launch programs, as you would with a computer?

7. I read a bit about this stuff on the Toppy forum and I'm starting to think that these boxes automatically organise your channels for you and put them into bouquets? Personally, that is something I really do not want. I love organising my channels. I remember when I used to have a Humax Foxsat (horrible machine IMHO) and every time you scanned for new channels you lost your custom channel order! Can anyone confirm if this is the case with these boxes? Basically - I want to order the channels myself, and I don't want that order to be lost every time I scan for new channels!

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for your help and your patience.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Hi you won't have to switch on your router every time you turn on the box to watch TV

Yes the box will boot like a normal set top box no need to launch any programs

Yes the box will automatically organise channels but you can rearrange them pretty much how you like via the box though this can be a bit fiddly it is much easier to do via your home network there are various programs (e-channelizer for example) that will allow you to create your own bouquets (groups of channels) ie you can put all film channels together and all documentary channels together and so on

My personal box is the Extrend 8500 and the PVR on there is pretty speedy

Also with an E2 box you can customise pretty much everything on the box there are loads of different looking skins and boot up screens you can add yourself (again to make things simpler having it rigged up to your home network would make things a lot simpler)

Although I should warn you customising your box can get addictive lol
    Last edited by azael; 04-09-17 at 20:38.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    5) You really don't need to worry about this unless you are going to start writing software. All the necessary component parts of the software come packed in a zip file and just need loading on the receiver. If you buy from WoS they will load your choice of software for you. Once loaded on the receiver the software works in a completely seemless way so there is no need for users to know where one component ends and the next starts.

6) Yes, just bring it out of standby and it is ready to use. A 3-year-old can master the basics.

7) You can do exactly as you choose. Edit the bouquets on the receiver using the remote, edit them on a PC using a bouquet editor and then FTP to the receiver. A conventional scan doesn't touch bouquets, just scans for channels. You have to add them to the bouquets.

If you use ABM that will create bouquets for you. You can customise ABM so it will produce the bouquets you want, in the order you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast