Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Cabling upgrade - thoughts and advice wanted

Title
    Thanks

Cabling upgrade - thoughts and advice wanted

In the near future i plan on pulling all my cables out my house and running fresh new cables. Shown below is my current set up, starting from the box on the outside of my house, down the front of the house, into the house to the white VM box with a diplex filter inside. Which i then split, sending one cable to the modem and one back up the front of the house to the bedroom up stairs. I split this cable once more to get two feeds for my gigablue. So in turn splitting my cable twice to get my 3 needed feeds. (1 for modem, 2 for gigablue)

Current.jpg

My future plan is to split the cable once using a 3 way splitter, shown below.

Future.jpg

My questions -

1. Do i need the diplex filter? If so should i put it like i have shown in the picture above? (before the splitter)
    2. What splitters would you suggest i use? Currently have cheap ones, see photo below
    3. What cable would you suggest? i know RG6 cable but any specific RG6?
    4. any other suggestions?

diplex filter i have from vm install originally
    Attachment 54511

Splitters
    20170804_012146.jpg20170804_012132.jpg

Any help of input would be great.

thanks

jawz

Title
    Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Try one of these m8, they do a good job>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    PHP Code:
    https://en.shpock.com/i/V1VHDVDeBURli0Xs/ 
    What else can i say !!.....

You can`t please all of the people all of the time...so...dont even try........ ...

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dugJTYz-JR4&feature=em-subs_digest

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wullboy For This Useful Post:

jawz (04-08-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The RG6 label seems to be used on a variety of cables some of which are c**p, and some that have a good specification.
    Cable: use WF100, QF100, PF100, (CT100 type cable with a foam dielectric - 100% copper screening)
    many Ebay sellers for various lengths WF100. TLC for various lengths/reels of PF100, Screwfix for reels of PF100 etc.
    Code:
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100B.html
    The TLC site shows the full specification of their cable

I seen it suggested that black sheathed cable is better than white sheathed cable for preventing (very) long term UV degradation when used out-of-doors.

Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    Very old article hence very old prices.

The inductive type splitters etc. in the fully screened metal cases you are using are the type to go for.

Personally I would always route the system using F connectors on the cables and use a F to Coax adapter on the far end if required.
    First 2 items on

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...s-and-adaptors
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

jawz (04-08-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Tip:

When running a cable through a hole in the outside wall make sure that you have a drip loop. Take the cable an inch or two below the hole in the wall and then bring it up the the hole. This gives the cable a low point below the hole. Failure to do this can result in rain running down/along the cable and into the hole in the wall. With a drip loop water running down the cable drips off of the cable low point (drip loop).
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-08-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Personally I would always route the system using F connectors on the cables and use a F to Coax adapter on the far end if required.
    First 2 items on
    I already use compression F connectors with F to Coax adapter on the ends connected to the receiver, I have a compression kit and find they give a more secure connection

thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Tip:

When running a cable through a hole in the outside wall make sure that you have a drip loop. Take the cable an inch or two below the hole in the wall and then bring it up the the hole. This gives the cable a low point below the hole. Failure to do this can result in rain running down/along the cable and into the hole in the wall. With a drip loop water running down the cable drips off of the cable low point (drip loop).
    thanks great to know

Title
    Thanks
    Would anyone know what connector is used to connect the cable to the VM box on the outside of the house, is it just a F connector? Not had a chance to get a ladder an have a close look