Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Gigablue UHD Quad 4K Feedback

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Gigablue UHD Quad 4K Feedback

has anyone got one of these and if so what is your impression?
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Had mine since FCS in Germany.

High Quality looking receiver, excellent remote (although I could do with F2 & F3 keys which are on the Xtrend
    Very nice clear colour LCD (although some users had a 1 week failure on the LCD - vertical white bar - but replaced by Gigablue (Impex-Sat)

Features are well supported by both OpenATV and OpenMIPS images - OpenMIPS based on OpenPli is a faster image but doesn't get regular updates. I would normally call OpenMIPS the factory image but due to CI+ license issues, I believe Giga are shipping an image without certain feature support (it's then not there issue when users flash a different image) - may have changed but last time I read the German thread I think thats what it was implying.
    "My" OpenViX image runs really well.... supporting all the features and couch flash.

The FBC tuners are easy to config in either legacy or unicable mode (once you get used to all the different config reqs) and work well. Blindscan also seems to work on these tuners - although Huevos would dispute this apparently - but from the debug logs it does what it says.
    I have not got the optional pnp tuners, but no reason they would be an issue. Blindscan also works on the normal DBV-S2 pnp tuner (accordingly to the tick box of whats working, what isn't).

Works well with the Gigablue app and other Phone/tablet apps ... have not tried transcoding but it is marked as not currently working.

PIP works, not that I use it very often, as do the various 2160 modes since last night driver updates.
    Picture is good (but all the Arm boxes using similar chips are good)

Boot time is long (but has just been reduced a bit) - sits around checking for usb flash and also probably because also there is a recovery image on the EMMC (my view)
    Normal operation is fast.

I run 2 receivers off the Giga 4K in Huevos C/S mode as well as using as my main lounge receiver for both 28.2E and 19.2E
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

john doe (02-08-17)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Personally I'd op for the VU+ Solo4k and the only extra tuner option for the Quad UHD is a single hybrid tuner. NONE of the old range of tuners are compatible with the Quad UHD.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

john doe (02-08-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    that's what I was thinking, either solo 4k or the gigablue. personally I have had a few vu+'s and they are good boxes
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    there is a new dreambox dm920 coming in september with similar specs including fbc tuner for 349€.