Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upon The Roof......tra la.

Title
    Thanks

Upon The Roof......tra la.

Not getting any signals on 0.8 west, 4 w, or 5 w. OK for the main sats, 19 e and 28 e. So it was out with the ladders, have to use 2 and climb off a flat roof up to the next flat roof. Dish was out of alignment so got her indoors to watch the monitor whilst I moved the dish. 93% on 0.8 west 12418 V 28000 Al Jazeera English. Just wondering if I should chage the LNB whilst I'm at it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Depends on how old the LNB might be? .... but then again they don't cost a lot, so probably easier to change it while you are on the roof .... but also check the cabling and LNB connections
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Its a Black Ultra Twin on a Fibo 0.9 and very good signals. I was just pondering if I should put in a Unicable LNB whilst I am up there for maybe later use. At 75 she goes ape when I get the ladders out, so maybe its my last chance. Can you recommend any? I am still pondering on the Gigablue 4K, I see they are down to £299 delivered. Not sure if it would be better than the SF4008 but I like the look of them.

Title
    Thanks
    So the current LNB is fine.
    The question of installing a Unicable LNB is answered (partly) by the decision on the SF4008 vs Giga 4K.
    They both use Arm chips from the same Broadcom family, so not much difference. In my view the Giga is better quality and if they sort out a few bugs and drivers for announced features then fully working, it will offer more ..... but like all these vendors will they deliver? (An update is imminent (they say))
    My Giga 4K sits in my lounge and works fine, it also looks nicer!

... the Giga does offer working FBC tuners, so it's down to you and if you want to go that way.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Emulated (24-07-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So the current LNB is fine.
    The question of installing a Unicable LNB is answered (partly) by the decision on the SF4008 vs Giga 4K.
    They both use Arm chips from the same Broadcom family, so not much difference. In my view the Giga is better quality and if they sort out a few bugs and drivers for announced features then fully working, it will offer more ..... but like all these vendors will they deliver? (An update is imminent (they say))
    My Giga 4K sits in my lounge and works fine, it also looks nicer!

... the Giga does offer working FBC tuners, so it's down to you and if you want to go that way.
    Many thanks, you are a mine of information. I get lost in sorting out the details. I will find out if this is suitable. Maybe the Gigablue later.
    http://www.inverto.tv/products/product.php?id=358

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Just to clarify, you intend to add a unicable LNB to a motorised dish?

Title
    Thanks
    I thought about it but decided against it, It would be overkill for the amount of times it would be of any benefit to me.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You cant use a unicable LNB on a motorised setup.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You cant use a unicable LNB on a motorised setup.
    Must admit i never looked that far into it all. It was only because I was pondering on the Gigablue 4k for multi room without to much hassle. just seeing what it entails. Thanks.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    You could switch the twin lnb for a quad lnb and run 2 more lengths of coax while you are up there. Then you would have 2 more feeds for another receiver. However the motor would only be controlled by the receiver it is connected to.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    You could switch the twin lnb for a quad lnb and run 2 more lengths of coax while you are up there. Then you would have 2 more feeds for another receiver. However the motor would only be controlled by the receiver it is connected to.
    ye Gods no way. Another receiver for the women to mess up, they have a job using a Virgin box. best I control it all from my den and stream to their setups. More hassle.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulated View Post
    ye Gods no way. Another receiver for the women to mess up, they have a job using a Virgin box. best I control it all from my den and stream to their setups. More hassle.
    Or .... you could fit quattro LNB(s) and run 4 cables from the LNB into the house. You would then have to buy a multiswitch to give you the normal cable(s) into your box, but later if you wanted to go unicable you could then connect a unicable switch (with legacy and unicable outputs) direct to the 4 cables from the quattro LNB ...... no need for going back up on the roof..... then future proofed (as much as you can be)
    The multiswitch would be capable (depending on the model) of handling multiple sat inputs.
    Last edited by twol; 25-07-17 at 10:31.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Or .... you could fit quattro LNB(s) and run 4 cables from the LNB into the house. You would then have to buy a multiswitch to give you the normal cable(s) into your box, but later if you wanted to go unicable you could then connect a unicable switch (with legacy and unicable outputs) direct to the 4 cables from the quattro LNB ...... no need for going back up on the roof..... then future proofed (as much as you can be)
    The multiswitch would be capable (depending on the model) of handling multiple sat inputs.
    I will leave it as it is. My only other decision is whether to get the Gigablue 4k, I know its not CI+ but I have found some images that work with CI+. i have tried streaming to the other rooms but its hit and miss, so I wondered if multiroom works without to much hassle.

Title
    Thanks
    The Giga boxes appear to support CI+ depending on the image.
    I say appear, because for some time there was a dispute between the CI+ licensees and GigaBlue. (there was a statement on their WEB site)
    Judging by a current ongoing discussion on another WEB site, Giga will be shipping boxes with a factory image that will not support CI+, but then apparently flashing with the "normal" Giga image allows it.
    I guess they are basically saying that Giga are "above board" and its their users that are using images that support CI+ and ignoring license requirements.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    The Giga boxes appear to support CI+ depending on the image.
    I say appear, because for some time there was a dispute between the CI+ licensees and GigaBlue. (there was a statement on their WEB site)
    Judging by a current ongoing discussion on another WEB site, Giga will be shipping boxes with a factory image that will not support CI+, but then apparently flashing with the "normal" Giga image allows it.
    I guess they are basically saying that Giga are "above board" and its their users that are using images that support CI+ and ignoring license requirements.
    \how do you rate the Multiroom and Gigablue Player?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast