Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Softcam downloader.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    The kernel changed, so to prevent people from installing files designed for different kernels, no access to plugins.

You need to be on image on same kernel.

You cannot update, you must flash/install latest image.
    You can restore settings and plugins after flashing.

See this guide
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-and-Restores/

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    You will need to update your image to 5.0.023. You can do it through image manager in the vix menu.
    When I go to image manager it just says, DEVICE: "There is a problem with this device, please reformat it and try again".

(Pressing Red / Green / Yellow or Blue just causes the circle with a bar across it icon to be displayed in the top right had corner of the screen).

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    The kernel changed, so to prevent people from installing files designed for different kernels, no access to plugins.

You need to be on image on same kernel.

You cannot update, you must flash/install latest image.
    You can restore settings and plugins after flashing.

See this guide
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-and-Restores/
    Thank you abu baniaz.

So this must mean that in fact, world of satellite DID NOT flash the receiver with the latest openVIX image as requested.

I am fully conversant with flashing images onto various receivers but I thought I would let them do it as it would save me the task, but what I have actually ended up doing is taking MORE on time on here asking what the problem might be with the image that came with the box that is NOT as recent as I would have expected or been told would be be the case.

Before I contact them for an explanation, please could someone tell me exactly how recent this image is ?.

Thank you and regards, the Soulman.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Soulman View Post
    When I go to image manager it just says, DEVICE: "There is a problem with this device, please reformat it and try again".

(Pressing Red / Green / Yellow or Blue just causes the circle with a bar across it icon to be displayed in the top right had corner of the screen).
    Sounds like you have a HDD thats not formatted? Or?
    So format a USB stick (FAT32) stick it in the receiver, reboot.
    Go to Image Manager, hit menu and change saved Image location to USB
    Probably worth saying Yes to backup current settings
    Then hit download button (Blue, I think) and download latest image.
    Return to imagemanager main menu, select this image and hit restore.
    Once its rebooted, restore settings and you should be back to original setup with new image.
    Then have a look at the HDD and how its mounted/formatted
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Sounds like you have a HDD thats not formatted? Or?
    So format a USB stick (FAT32) stick it in the receiver, reboot.
    Go to Image Manager, hit menu and change saved Image location to USB
    Probably worth saying Yes to backup current settings
    Then hit download button (Blue, I think) and download latest image.
    Return to imagemanager main menu, select this image and hit restore.
    Once its rebooted, restore settings and you should be back to original setup with new image.
    Then have a look at the HDD and how its mounted/formatted
    No HDD connected / installed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Thank you abu baniaz.

So this must mean that in fact, world of satellite DID NOT flash the receiver with the latest openVIX image as requested.

I am fully conversant with flashing images onto various receivers but I thought I would let them do it as it would save me the task, but what I have actually ended up doing is taking MORE on time on here asking what the problem might be with the image that came with the box that is NOT as recent as I would have expected or been told would be be the case.

Before I contact them for an explanation, please could someone tell me exactly how recent this image is ?.

Thank you and regards, the Soulman.
    Whats the latest Image?
    OpenViX have no control over Kernel changes that is down to the manufacturer (in this case Edision), so whatever Image version you were flashed, it is possible that as soon as a box is shipped it will require a further image flash IF a kernel change has taken place, and another build has been run, which doesn't happen too often but obviously does occur.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Whats the latest Image?
    OpenViX have no control over Kernel changes that is down to the manufacturer (in this case Edision), so whatever Image version you were flashed, it is possible that as soon as a box is shipped it will require a further image flash IF a kernel change has taken place, and another build has been run, which doesn't happen too often but obviously does occur.
    I understand that completely and realise that it is possible that this is what has happended.

However I think this to be unlikely and as such before I ask world of satellite for an explanation I would like to know exactly how recent / new / old this image version is.

If it is just incredibly bad timing then fair enough, but if not, why offer a service during the ordering process of an item and then just ship the item without carrying out the task and following the buyers preferences.

So, can anyone tell me exactly when this version of the image was created ?.

Regards, The Soulman.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    If a USB stick is attached, it woill be mounted as HDD and can still be used.

The softcam ipks are on openvix.co.uk if you are having issues getting to newer image

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The image on your receiver is pretty recent. Its not the vendors fault that the kernel has changed - it does happen from time to time. I don't see why you are complaining - you were not charged for the service. Just flash the latest image and off you go. By the way - you will need to do this from time to time anyway if you wish to keep the software at the latest version.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    5.0.023 is not much more than a week old.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    The image on your receiver is pretty recent. Its not the vendors fault that the kernel has changed - it does happen from time to time. I don't see why you are complaining - you were not charged for the service. Just flash the latest image and off you go. By the way - you will need to do this from time to time anyway if you wish to keep the software at the latest version.
    With all due respect I think you miss the point.

I was directed to world of satellite by reading recommendations of their first class customer service.

If I asked for the latest openVix image to be flashed onto the box (As was the option when buying) and it wasn't done, irrespective of wether I paid for the service or not, you're saying that, as an example of first class customer service, it was acceptable.

I ordered the receiver last Monday 17/7/17 just answer me this, was the image that was on the box when shipped to me the latest one available at that time ?.

(See post #14 for image details)

Regards, The Soulman.
    Last edited by The Soulman; 24-07-17 at 23:28.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    It probably was the latest build available for download at the time. The release date of the next build after that (5.0.023) is the 15th July but it usually takes a few days to appear on the download server.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

kryton (24-07-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    It probably was the latest build available for download at the time. The release date of the next build after that (5.0.023) is the 15th July but it usually takes a few days to appear on the download server.
    Ok ronand thanks for that.

If that is indeed the case then it seems that it would turn out to be a case of very bad luck with the timing of me buying the receiver and the latest image available to world of satellite at the time I purchased the receiver.

So as far as I am concerned, that's my prospective complaint / issue explained and dealt with.

Thank you and regards, The Soulman.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok ronand thanks for that.

If that is indeed the case then it seems that it would turn out to be a case of very bad luck with the timing of me buying the receiver and the latest image available to world of satellite at the time I purchased the receiver.

So as far as I am concerned, that's my prospective complaint / issue explained and dealt with.

Thank you and regards, The Soulman.
    i also have an Edision mini +
    i remember the Kernal change and i remember Abu telling somebody with a similar question that the download wouldnt be availabe till the next morning ( this was said on the sunday)
    Version 5.0.023 did not appear in my image manager until late afternoon on monday the 17th...i would imagine your receiver would of been shipped before 3pm.
    Last edited by kryton; 24-07-17 at 23:46.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kryton For This Useful Post:

ronand (24-07-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Don't let that put you off - just reflash with the current image (5.0.023). From time to time a reflash is required. Sometimes a kernel change, sometimes for a major build. Usually its just a case of backing up through the vix menu, flashing the new image and then restoring the settings backup. A storage device is pretty much essential (timeshift/recordings/epg etc) - a usb stick can be used but a hard drive is preferable. Enjoy your new receiver and btw the Openvix image is the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast