Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo receiving no signal

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    should not need it and is it for sat or cable,uk or irl should not need amplification,have you tried a different box on your feed.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    should not need it and is it for sat or cable,uk or irl should not need amplification,have you tried a different box on your feed.
    Haven't tried a different box. Let me go get one now.
    Also the dish was installed in 2011 so it's not for Sky Q.
    It's for just the normal free view sky channels. Is that Sat or Cable?
    Last edited by G3rryB; 30-06-17 at 22:58.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G3rryB View Post
    A process of elimination
    i) You say that scanning for channels in your friends house using your box works so this rules out the configuration and the working of your box.
    ii) You say that you have tried 3 of the 4 connections in your friends house. This says that 3 of the 4 LNBs (or 3 outputs from a switch) are working but it doesn't rule out the 4th being unconnected and/or being broken.
    iii) You say that you I tried all 4 physical outputs from the LNB and none of them worked but then you also said disconnected all of the other dishes too. Was this a typo in what you meant that you disconnected all outputs from the LNB to try your single cable on each of the LNB outputs?

My two guesses
    i) It's not a quad LNB but a Quatro LNB and your friend has a switch in his loft space.
    http://www.systemsat.co.uk/blog/what...attro-lnb.html

ii) The F plugs on your cable are incorrectly fitted and the screen is not connected (probably only true if you have recently fitted them yourself) . This means that the control signals from your box are not being sent up to the LNB
    Code:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm
    What do you get if you go to the friends house and instead of plugging in his the cable directly to your box you use a coupler/barrel connector to join your cable to his and then plug your cable into your box?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-S.../dp/B004PWCMKA

Have you tried your friends box in your location using your cable?

Assuming the UK, sharing a dish may have some safety aspects as the mains supply phase in your house may be different from the mains supply phase in your friends house. The problem can occur if one of you has a major fault and one piece of the equipment becomes live. In a communal system this is mitigated by bonding all the cable screens in one central point to earth. This doesn't normally happen in a domestic property where the house/flat is on a single mains phase supply.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i would think freesat =open channels on sat
    freeview is open channels by aerial.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    A process of elimination
    i) You say that scanning for channels in your friends house using your box works so this rules out the configuration and the working of your box.
    ii) You say that you have tried 3 of the 4 connections in your friends house. This says that 3 of the 4 LNBs (or 3 outputs from a switch) are working but it doesn't rule out the 4th being unconnected and/or being broken.
    iii) You say that you I tried all 4 physical outputs from the LNB and none of them worked but then you also said disconnected all of the other dishes too. Was this a typo in what you meant that you disconnected all outputs from the LNB to try your single cable on each of the LNB outputs?

My two guesses
    i) It's not a quad LNB but a Quatro LNB and your friend has a switch in his loft space.
    http://www.systemsat.co.uk/blog/what...attro-lnb.html

ii) The F plugs on your cable are incorrectly fitted and the screen is not connected (probably only true if you have recently fitted them yourself) . This means that the control signals from your box are not being sent up to the LNB
    Code:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm
    What do you get if you go to the friends house and instead of plugging in his the cable directly to your box you use a coupler/barrel connector to join your cable to his and then plug your cable into your box?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-S.../dp/B004PWCMKA

Have you tried your friends box in your location using your cable?

Assuming the UK, sharing a dish may have some safety aspects as the mains supply phase in your house may be different from the mains supply phase in your friends house. The problem can occur if one of you has a major fault and one piece of the equipment becomes live. In a communal system this is mitigated by bonding all the cable screens in one central point to earth. This doesn't normally happen in a domestic property where the house/flat is on a single mains phase supply.
    Yes that was a typo I meant to say I disconnected all other outputs. I have tried 3 different cables and I looked up how to wire an F connector and did it to the letter. I have also done them in the past in my previous house and they always worked fine. We even tried a bit of cable that they weren't using anymore that was previously working in their house.
    I tried another sky box from my own house and that didn't work either. The switch in the loft space sounds likely. Can I do something to recreate that in my flat?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes that was a typo I meant to say I disconnected all other outputs. I have tried 3 different cables and I looked up how to wire an F connector and did it to the letter. I have also done them in the past in my previous house and they always worked fine. We even tried a bit of cable that they weren't using anymore that was previously working in their house.
    I tried another sky box from my own house and that didn't work either. The switch in the loft space sounds likely. Can I do something to recreate that in my flat?
    On second thoughts: If there was a muti-switch in the loft space 4 of the LNB outputs would be connected to it. Were there 4 connections from the LNB going to the loft?

If there is a switch in the loft space there are probably spare outputs on that - you could connect your single cable to a spare switch output. If you are lucky there could be more than two spare outputs on the switch.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    On second thoughts: If there was a muti-switch in the loft space 4 of the LNB outputs would be connected to it. Were there 4 connections from the LNB going to the loft?

If there is a switch in the loft space there are probably spare outputs on that - you could connect your single cable to a spare switch output. If you are lucky there could be more than two spare outputs on the switch.
    Yes all 4 were going into the house but I still haven't asked the owner whether there's a switch in the loft or not. Why won't it work by just taking a cable straight from the dish?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes all 4 were going into the house but I still haven't asked the owner whether there's a switch in the loft or not. Why won't it work by just taking a cable straight from the dish?
    Traditional universal LNBs have 4 modes of operation which your box controls by sending a control signal back up the connecting cable [High voltage, low voltage, tone and no tone].

If it is a Quatro LNB then these 4 modes of operation are fixed in the LNB and each mode of operation is available as a separate output - hence requiring 4 outputs. These 4 signals then go to a multi-output switch where the individual outputs of the switch are controlled by the boxes connected to them. It was a way of distributing a satellite signal to more than 4 tuners but without having to have more than 4 LNB outputs.

If you directly hi-jack one of the outputs from a Quatro LNB at best you would only be able to get the signals associated with that mode of operation (possible a quarter of the channels if you were lucky) BUT you would also deprive your friend of those channels.

Bear in mind that this is still speculation until you can confirm what is, or what isn't, in the loft

Recent technology advances can achieve distribution in a different way but as you say the dish/LNB was installed in 2011(ish) so its not new technology.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It's not Q the OP answered that earlier and all channels were found in one location.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    The location that work is presumablly one served from the switch.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by obo110x View Post
    It's not Q the OP answered that earlier and all channels were found in one location.
    What is being described above isn't Sky Q. Its based on technology that's been around for a decade or more. The OP doesn't know how the cables are connected in the loft, or to what.
    All channels could be found in the original house if a Quatro LNB and a muti-switch is used. What would break this set-up would be to remove one of the inputs to the switch and route it to an adjoining property.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    unsure about the switch theory but are there any other sat dishes on property as i have 2 fixed and motorised in conjunction with a 4 way switch?

duo should work on cable direct from lnb to box and have you checked in tuner for a signal on another sat as it is getting common now to move dish to a better sat.

Title
    Thanks
    I'll probably just put up a new dish for my property as it's too much hassle for myself and the owner to be digging in their loft honestly. Thanks for your help guys

Title
    Thanks
    I just want to give an update on this. I got a guy out and I told him everything I did and he went up to the dish and had a look at the f-connector that I had prepared and did it again himself which then sorted the problem!
    He said a little bit of the wire was exposed and that it was touching another cable coming from the dish going into the main house.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just want to give an update on this. I got a guy out and I told him everything I did and he went up to the dish and had a look at the f-connector that I had prepared and did it again himself which then sorted the problem!
    He said a little bit of the wire was exposed and that it was touching another cable coming from the dish going into the main house.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Didn't you say that you had tried more than one cable?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast