Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Newbie setup help

Title
    Thanks

Newbie setup help

Hi

I'm new here, and to Edision/IPTV and i've been having some very frustrating problems in setting up my box, with the IPTV subscription.

Firstly, the 500GB HDD I ordered with the box, from World of Satellite was faulty. They offered me to return it, but I no longer had the box it came in. I took it to a local shop to repair it, which they did, but now it seems like it has burnt out, as neither my laptop nor my Edision can load it.

So next, I tried an 8GB flash memory stick I had to try and see if I could set up the box until I got the 500GB HDD fixed. I thought everything was fine, until i tried to set up the EPG settings. When I tried to save them, I got an error warning to say that I needed to insert a Hard drive or USB pen. I don't understand why it said that I need to insert one, as when I go to storage devices I can select the USB stick. Now because I cant save stuff to the USB stick, the channels don't show up when I turn the box on. I'm assuming, that's because they don't auto update every night/morning?

I really hope someone can help me, as I've had the box for 3 weeks now and I've not been able to use it properly at all!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CPFCLIFE View Post
    Firstly, the 500GB HDD I ordered with the box, from World of Satellite was faulty. They offered me to return it, but I no longer had the box it came in. I took it to a local shop to repair it, which they did, but now it seems like it has burnt out, as neither my laptop nor my Edision can load it.
    The format of the disk on the box is /can be different to that required for a PC. The disk may be OK in that it's formatted for the box and not the PC and therefore the PC cannot see it.

Have you mounted the disk in your box?
    On your box Menu -> Setup-> VIX -> Mount manager ------- Is the disk listed there? If so highlight it and press the blue button (Mount)

So next, I tried an 8GB flash memory stick I had to try and see if I could set up the box until I got the 500GB HDD fixed. I thought everything was fine, until i tried to set up the EPG settings. When I tried to save them, I got an error warning to say that I needed to insert a Hard drive or USB pen. I don't understand why it said that I need to insert one, as when I go to storage devices I can select the USB stick. Now because I cant save stuff to the USB stick, the channels don't show up when I turn the box on. I'm assuming, that's because they don't auto update every night/morning?
    Where have you told the box to save your EPG? It is a user setting with the options of flash memory or any disk/usb stick you have fitted. If the setting is to the hard disk that the box cannot see then this may be your problem. You may have to also mount your 8G stick.

Menu -> setup -> system -> EPG -> EPG Setting -> EPG Location ---- what is the location you have set up.

I would be tempted to sort out your box for normal TV viewing/recording before trying any IPTV. At least when you sort out the basics you can save the image and settings on your box so that if experimentation with anything else goes t**ts-up it only takes a 5 minutes to restore a working system.
    Last edited by adm; 21-06-17 at 17:34.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    The format of the disk on the box is /can be different to that required for a PC. The disk may be OK in that it's formatted for the box and not the PC and therefore the PC cannot see it.

On your box Menu -> Setup-> VIX -> Mount manager ------- Is the disk listed there? If so highlight it and press the blue button (Mount)

Where have you told the box to save your EPG? It is a user setting with the options of flash memory or any disk/usb stick you have fitted. If the setting is to the hard disk that the box cannot see then this may be your problem. You may have to also mount your 8G stick.

Menu -> setup -> system -> EPG -> EPG Setting -> EPG Location ---- what is the location you have set up.

I would be tempted to sort out your box for normal TV viewing/recording before trying any IPTV. At least when you sort out the basics you can save the image and settings on your box so that if experimentation with anything else goes t**ts-up it only takes a 5 minutes to restore a working system.
    Hey adm,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I've been out of the country, so I've only just got a chance to try this. I'll let you know how it goes!

Title
    Thanks

So I did this, and when I then continued to initialize the 8GB stick (as advised in the youtube setup clip im following) I get an error, saying it cant unmount device or resource busy

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    That error is reported because the usb flash drive is being used. Format the stick to fat32 on your computer and then reinitialise it and then mount it on your e2 receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    That error is reported because the usb flash drive is being used. Format the stick to fat32 on your computer and then reinitialise it and then mount it on your e2 receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure it was FAT32 before I plugged it in to the box. Now it doesn't show up on my laptop when I plug it in there. I plugged it in to my girlfriend's mac and it said i needed to initalise for the mac to recognize it, so as it didn't show up on mine, I thought why not. When I open the disk utility on the mac and select the stick, it shows 8GB linux filesystem, which suggests to me that the box has done something to it. Any ideas?

EDIT: It says 8GB of used space, 0 free space
    Last edited by CPFCLIFE; 02-07-17 at 17:58.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Box will have formatted it to either ext4/ext3 which windows doesn't recognise. You may also get the message device busy etc if you have timeshift enabled on your box.
    Last edited by 1999gtv; 02-07-17 at 19:21. Reason: more info

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The stick is formatted EXt3 or Ext4 for the box.

You can install a utility on a PC operating Windows to see/read/write Ext2, EXT3 or EXt4. Google "read write EXT3 on a windows PC"

The stick may have been full if that's all the box is seeing. You may have tried to put your EPG on it as well as a time-shift buffer and/or as well as a couple of recordings.

Once your PC can see the stick you may/will be able to reformat it using "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" (Google for download sites). In my experience a reformat from a non-windows friendly format can take some time with this tool so don't panic if an hour+ elapses.

By the way, does your box now see your 500G hard disk?
    Last edited by adm; 02-07-17 at 19:34.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999gtv View Post
    Box will have formatted it to either ext4/ext3 which windows doesn't recognise. You may also get the message device busy etc if you have timeshift enabled on your box.
    I do have timeshift enabled, is that right? I don't even know what it does, i've just been following youtube clips to try and set everything up
    The stick is formatted EXt3 or Ext4 for the box.

You can install a utility on a PC operating Windows to see/read/write Ext2, EXT3 or EXt4. Google "read write EXT3 on a windows PC"

The stick may have been full if that's all the box is seeing. You may have tried to put your EPG on it as well as a time-shift buffer and/or as well as a couple of recordings.

Once your PC can see the stick you may/will be able to reformat it using "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" (Google for download sites). In my experience a reformat from a non-windows friendly format can take some time with this tool so don't panic if an hour+ elapses.

By the way, does your box now see your 500G hard disk?
    Ok, i'll try downloading that software later, when I get time. There wasn't anything on the stick to begin with (same for the 500GB HDD) and I still got the same error messages. I've not since tried the 500GB HDD.

I'm starting to wonder if i've even been going about trying to set up the box in the right way, as I'm just doing what I think is right according to what im being shown in these clips.

I've installed the XCplugin and ive got all the channels when i go into menu>XCplugin>live streams, but once in there, i cant press the EPG button and get all the channels up, it just comes up with the 'stop' sign to say that feature isn't available.

When I exit the plugin I can only get the FTA channels. I'm assuming that to get ALL the channels like I do in the plugin, I need to set up the EPG settings, Timeshift etc, and be able to save it to a memory stick/drive.

Last question, Softcam...what is it? do I need it?

Thanks for taking the time to try and help guys, i've really been pulling hair out over this. Openbox/Cccam was so much easier