Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Problem with hd channels pixelating when useing three tuners

Title
    Thanks

Problem with hd channels pixelating when useing three tuners

I have a et8500 with 4 dvb-c tuners. I have a problem with hd channels on tuner c or d when recording. The channel is pixaleted. I don't have a problem watching tuner c if the others are not recording. I have a 4 way konig booster and have 99% signal on all tuners, so don't think it's a signal problem, if I switch to the non hd version of the channels it works fine. Anyone have a idea how to fix it
    Last edited by bacardi.; 08-06-17 at 21:58.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    how are your feeds done as bad picture can be bad connections on cable so recheck again.

Title
    Thanks
    I've already checked and made sure there tight with some grips. Also if it was a loose connection would that not affect the tuner when not recording? It only happens when more than two runners are in operation.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi. View Post
    I have a et8500 with 4 dvb-c tuners. I have a problem with hd channels on tuner c or d when recording. The channel is pixaleted. I don't have a problem watching tuner c if the others are not recording. I have a 4 way konig booster and have 99% signal on all tuners, so don't think it's a signal problem, if I switch to the non hd version of the channels it works fine. Anyone have a idea how to fix it
    It is definitely to do with the signal levels or the actual tuner. I had the a similar problem with my xtrend 10000. One of the tuners didn't pick up a few HD channels.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi. View Post
    You can have too much signal that over-loads the front end of tuners (in a non-fatal way) and this can cause pixelisation/break-up on the picture and/or cause a channel to be ignored when scanning/tuning. The signal strength value on a box is just an arbitrary value and 99% may just be the highest it can report. You could put x100 more signal into the box and it still would report 99% hence it's no indication of being overloaded. If your booster has a variable gain control try adjusting it to only give a 80 to 90% signal strength indication on the box to see if this improves the situation. Otherwise try an inline attenuator.

You don't give a model number for your booster but a web search for a 4 way konig booster suggests that it may have a maximum gain of 20db (x10 signal level). Consider if you were not splitting the signal (via the booster) and only feeding the original signal into one tuner you should have more than enough signal level for that tuner - you wouldn't need x10 that signal level. All you need into the other tuners is around the SAME signal level which cannot be achieved with a 4 way passive splitter hence using an active splitter/booster but if it has a variable level set nearer the lower level.

Also the quality of cable to the booster and between the booster and the box can minimize local electrical interference which may be effecting HD more than SD.
    An old article on cable quality so prices are well out of date but still valid on the conclusions about the importance of 100% screening for digital TV.
    Code:
    http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml
    Last edited by adm; 09-06-17 at 09:41.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

bacardi. (09-06-17),Bangord30 (09-06-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I've tried turning it down to down it made no difference. It records on a&b but pixelated on c or d. Stop he recordings and the picture clears still using tuner c. Wf100 cable used incase anyone wondered. I'm going to try hooking a Ariel to the tuners to see if the problem occurs on dvb-t2