Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Making backup to USB Stick

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Making backup to USB Stick

On the advice of a very helpful user here, I need to make an image backup before making an alteration to my settings file.
    I went to the BlackHole Plugins menu and clicked on "Full Back-up to USB"
    I have now tried a total of 6 different sticks of different content size and of different makes, formatted to FAT and then (next attempts) to NTFS
    I also tried one formatted using the BH USB Formatting function.
    I have added empty files called backupstick and backupstick.txt, I have tried all these in all combinations in both USB slots and every time I get the message
    "there is no valid USB stick found".... and that if one of the above named files is present on the stick (which they ARE), then it will do a backup...

What is going wrong ? I am truly close to tears.
    The USB slot at the front definitely works because last time my VU+ Duo crashed, my son-in-law used a USB stick in it to put my Black Hole 3.1.3C image on it.
    But the BH Back-up function doesn't want to recognise any of the sticks I try.

When I try Main Menu > Backup Menu > Blackhole Full Backup, I can't change the "save to" location from the harddisk to USB, and when I let it save to harddisk, it tells me I don't have enough room on my harddisk (which is 1 terabyte!) and the same applies to the Personal Backup function.
    Last edited by Helvetica; 03-06-17 at 18:18.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Abu, I tried that but I was also getting an error message. So I took yet another usb stick (my 7th and last) and tried that. Apparently not all usb sticks are "accepted" by the system. This last one DID work though. It's a Kingston or something (can't remember what name was shown on the screen).
    Two TDK sticks did not work, three no-name sticks did not work, and a SanDisk stick did not work. I was lucky that I had this King... thing at the bottom of my sticks-and-cards box.. It worked using the normal BH option "Full Backup to USB".
    Thanks again for your help.

Title
    Thanks
    did you mount your stick ? Otherwise it is not seen by the image as medium.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I had tried mounting them all. The Kingston or whatever was the only one which, after being mounted, was accepted. I got a variety of messages on-screen, or there was no "media/usb" option or some other error.
    I might try another of them again, but at least I have one now which I know works.