Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it all over?

Title
    Thanks

Is it all over?

I've noticed all sports and eurosports are now off, is it all over for the Linux box?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Yep it is. Time for you to put your official card back in the ugly official skybox! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    If the TV was reasonably priced i would, £1000 a year for adverts aint my cup of t

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Depends on what you use your box for mate, for a certain portion of the market I'd say yes it is over but for the real hobbyists it's just the start once they get to see what their box can really do and explore the other satellite networks available.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Hawkwind (22-05-17),roybach (22-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    ..explore the other satellite networks available.
    Or, in my case, use it as a terrestrial TV recorder, at which it does an excellent job and I'm seeing no changes at all.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ccs (22-05-17),Sicilian (22-05-17)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Or, in my case, use it as a terrestrial TV recorder, at which it does an excellent job and I'm seeing no changes at all.
    Can't argue with that. The PVR function on even my oldest box blows any crap sky uk can offer out of the water and then some. Plus with the network abilities of E2 if you have two or more boxes you can easily stream or watch content from one box on another.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (22-05-17)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    Can't argue with that. The PVR function on even my oldest box blows any crap sky uk can offer out of the water and then some. Plus with the network abilities of E2 if you have two or more boxes you can easily stream or watch content from one box on another.
    E2 boxes knock spots off of any Freesat or Freeview receiver. Side by side with a Humax Youview E2 wins all day long
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    E2 boxes knock spots off of any Freesat or Freeview receiver. Side by side with a Humax Youview E2 wins all day long
    Which is exactly what I use mine for also - a combined freesat/freeview receiver!
    I've been through a few in my time, and still agree it knocks spots of the majority of the competition, and having one device that does both freesat and freeview is perfect for me!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pembo For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (22-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    It's the beginning, not the end.
    7 minute ad breaks every 10 minutes to watch repeats, who needs that?

Title
    Thanks
    Many find E2 receivers confusing, add ons galore, dozens of settings, updates, the list is endless. It can be daunting and maybe that is why a seller on Ebay appears to do very nicely with preconfigured setups for various boxes. No doubt someone, somewhere does a similar sort of thing without the bells and whistles, just a simple setup similar to a Freeview/Freesat box, everything stripped down to the basics. Those who want S+y etc for free will no longer bother with an E2 box but those who like to experiment and play will still buy a new box. Expect the prices to drop now there is a diminishing market.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emulated View Post
    Many find E2 receivers confusing, add ons galore, dozens of settings, updates, the list is endless. It can be daunting and maybe that is why a seller on Ebay appears to do very nicely with preconfigured setups for various boxes. No doubt someone, somewhere does a similar sort of thing without the bells and whistles, just a simple setup similar to a Freeview/Freesat box, everything stripped down to the basics. Those who want S+y etc for free will no longer bother with an E2 box but those who like to experiment and play will still buy a new box. Expect the prices to drop now there is a diminishing market.
    OpenViX is a absolute doddle to setup with freesat and freeview. If users buys pre-setup what will he or she do if needs to be setup again? Autobouqetsmaker makes setup childs play imo.

Don't expect prices to come down, Sky UK is one provider in a very large global market.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks

Is it all over?

The advertisers on the sky channels won't be chuffed at all when they realize there audience has dropped dramatically in the space of a month.

I'm sure they didn't care wether there adverts were being watched on a legitimate subscription or not.

As above post. My receivers are perfect for freesat and the fact they are all network linked allows me to watch content in any room.

It's the perfect home tv setup for me.

If I want to watch a big game now. Il go down the pub to watch it.

Just hope my local pub had a legitimate sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Exactly what I bought my os mega for, my trusty Pioneer plasma has no HD tuner.
    Unfortunately I find it to be buggy as hell and recordings will suddenly start to become unwatchable due to constant freezing or stuttering.
    The only cure is a file system check or yet another initialisation, which of course means I have to rush watch any previously made good recordings that may be on there as they'll get wiped out.
    I can't say I'm fond of my surprise regular trips back to the 90's either - 'turning it off and on again'.

Lost count of the times I've tried to 'fix' this, I've given up, the last recording that failed I just searched for it using kodi on my Android box and watched it on that, less stressful and faster.

I'm never going back but it's not a patch on the sky box and the hassle free way it ran.

Title
    Thanks
    Do to the world wide market I cant see the price of new units in the UK dropping, I do see UK demand drying up and I can envision very low prices on the second hand market.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljmramst View Post
    Exactly what I bought my os mega for, my trusty Pioneer plasma has no HD tuner.
    Unfortunately I find it to be buggy as hell and recordings will suddenly start to become unwatchable due to constant freezing or stuttering.
    The only cure is a file system check or yet another initialisation, which of course means I have to rush watch any previously made good recordings that may be on there as they'll get wiped out.
    I can't say I'm fond of my surprise regular trips back to the 90's either - 'turning it off and on again'.

Lost count of the times I've tried to 'fix' this, I've given up, the last recording that failed I just searched for it using kodi on my Android box and watched it on that, less stressful and faster.

I'm never going back but it's not a patch on the sky box and the hassle free way it ran.
    I thought it was all sorted 5 weeks ago?....

Quote Originally Posted by ljmramst View Post
    Hello again.
    So after the problems I deleted all the recordings , updated Vix (arrgh that messed my front display up) & rebooted.
    I went through the initialisation step again and did a file system check, just to make sure everything was hunky dory, I'm learning as I go here I don't know if it's overkill or not

New recordings are all fine again, job sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast