Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Faulty LNB or faulty Multiswitch ?

Title
    Thanks

Faulty LNB or faulty Multiswitch ?

I am in a block of 24 flats (3 storey high) which has 2 satellite cables piped in to each flat, each flat being piped up to a multiswitch and then in turn of course to the satellite dish.

I have attached a picture of the Multiswitch so you can see what type, brand and model number it is.

The problem is that all the flats are able to receive Vertically polarized channels but not Horizontally polarized ones. This started last Thursday when we had about 2 days of heavy rain.

I have checked the cabinet and the multiswitch to see if it encountered water damage from the rain, but the inside of the cabinet was dry as was the multiswitch.

Could it be that the Quattro LNB is faulty or the Multiswitch has just given up being able to switch between H/V ?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Who is the landlord of the flats? Report it to them so they can get a professional in to diagnose the problem.

If there are 24 flats, there will be a few more of those multiswitches and probably a headend with launch amplifiers. So it could be the lnb or a fault at the headend.

Title
    Thanks
    Umm, Michael Richards and they are hopeless, trying to get them to resolve any issues takes ages, but I'm already trying to get them to arrange an engineer from the company that installed it so far 5 days of emails back and forth.

I'm tempted to replace the switch myself but if it probably isn't the switch then it's over to them.

Although there are 24 flats there are 3 satellite dishes each of which serve 9 flats and each of those dishes is independently connected to one of those switches, so 3 dishes and 3 switches - 2 blocks are ok but my block is up the creek !

The setup only has satellite connected and the terrestrial is a separate system served by independant cables to each flat, so not combined with satellite tv & terrestrial.

Typical as I've only had Sly installed just over a week now !

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    I would advise against doing anything yourself with the equipment in order to diagnose the issue. See the earth wires in your photo above? They are there to ensure that the earths are bonded across the different apartments in your complex and are there for electrical safety reasons. Unless you are a qualified installer and can sign safety certificates you should leave it to the landlord/technicians. Different apartments will be on different phases of the electricity supply and it is important that communal services are earth bonded to reduce a shock risk from faulty equipment. This applies to neighbours in houses sharing dishes/LNBs etc.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

twol (22-05-17)