Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kodi legal? Fresh crackdown sees UK streamers threatened with 10 years in prison

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts

Is Kodi legal? Fresh crackdown sees UK streamers threatened with 10 years in prison

Is Kodi legal? The EU has already weighed in on the debate surrounding so-called 'fully loaded' Android set-top boxes, and now the UK government has passed the Digital Economy Act into law, meaning illegally watching copyrighted content via Kodi and similar platforms could land users up to 10 years in prison. Here's what you should know before you get your sideload on.

Hark back to April 2016 and Kodi was still a relatively niche piece of media streaming software, beloved by HTPC (Home Theatre PC) enthusiasts and cord cutters, but still largely a mystery to a masses.

Jump to 2017 and the Platform Formerly Known as XBMC is hitting the headlines virtually every day, with the likes of Amazon, eBay and the Premier League joining the fight to stop dodgy streaming via cheap Android TV boxes.

Indeed, as of May 3 2017, the maximum prison sentence for illegally streaming copyrighted media has soared from two years to 10, after the UK government passed the controversial Digital Economy Act into law.

Many are sceptical that end users will feel the full force of the law in this regard, but at this stage, we wouldn't care to risk it – the EU is now also among the growing list of influential Kodi critics.

On Wednesday April 26, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) appears to have hammered another nail in the platform's coffin, effectively banning the sale of 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes by way of a lengthy ruling.

In a detailed statement (H/T TorrentFreak), the ECJ deemed that copyright law, "must be interpreted as covering the sale of a multimedia player, such as that at issue in the main proceedings, on which there are pre-installed add-ons, available on the internet, containing hyperlinks to websites — that are freely accessible to the public — on which copyright-protected works have been made available to the public without the consent of the right holders."

In plain English, that means that Android TV boxes shipping with with both Kodi and pre-installed third-party add-ons that provide easy acccess to pirated content fall foul of the law.

Furthermore, it adds that previous exceptions to EU copyright law covering "acts of temporary reproduction, on a multimedia player" fails to "satisfy the conditions set out in those provisions."

This is a key point, as it means that the fact streaming doesn't result in the creation of physical copies of rights protected content is no longer a legitimate defense against charges of copyright infringement.

Recently, Amazon and eBay have both announced plans to ban the sale of 'fully loaded' Android TV boxes on their marketplaces, while the Premier League has thrown is considerable financial clout behind legal efforts to thwart pirate sport streams.

However, while these so-called 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes are clearly in the dock, it's important to note that Kodi's core open-source media streaming software has yet to be indicted.

Read more at
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

el bandido (04-05-17),roybach (05-05-17),seame (04-05-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    And so iptv servers will get bigger and bigger
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Thanks
    Kodi has always been legal, and it is addons that can make it illegal, and downloading certain items have always been illegal. In fact the people who write Kodi software are angry, when spivs who sell these boxes don't want to know if there are problems ,the buyers then come moaning to the Kodi forums about their boxes not working. It seems certain companies have stop selling these boxes with Kodi software to cover themselves. It seems these multi-national companies have politicians in their pockets, so they can make even more profit. Britain is becoming more like the old East Germany.

Title
    Thanks
    I dont see that it will make any difference to the end user. As the report says the "maximum sentence has been increased from 2 years to 10 years" but have you ever heard of anyone being jailed for 2 days let alone 2 years for using a kodi addon?

What I do think they will do is go after the websites that host the TVs and Movies + the IPTV providers and they may get a longer sentenece

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    I dont see that it will make any difference to the end user. As the report says the "maximum sentence has been increased from 2 years to 10 years" but have you ever heard of anyone being jailed for 2 days let alone 2 years for using a kodi addon?

What I do think they will do is go after the websites that host the TVs and Movies + the IPTV providers and they may get a longer sentenece
    Yeah a guy nearby me got jailed for 2 years around chrimbo for viewing illegal content on Kodi/Fire TV. His ISP reported him.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Yeah a guy nearby me got jailed for 2 years around chrimbo for viewing illegal content on Kodi/Fire TV. His ISP reported him.........

Really I would have thought that would have been all over the press

Title
    Thanks
    I find it hard to believe. Just what I was told. It will be creators of the Wizards like The Beast, Pulse etc and creators of Exodus, Phoenix etc that will get severe sentences like that I would have thought.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    Thanks
    Cant find anything about it on google and really would have thought it would be there, so maybe whoever told you was wrong.

But I do think that you are right in the fact it will be the creators and hosters that they will be after. Especially the IPTV services its the sport that drives it on

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes but the servers will no doubt be based outside of the UK in a place where copyright isn't illegal
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Thanks

Is Kodi legal? Fresh crackdown sees UK streamers threatened with 10 years in prison

Yeah but the ISP will block everything after the recent court case, so VPN will become essential n then they can charge what they like.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Vpn like private Internet access is paid for in US dollars so a US company, they won't just put the price up because you are based in the UK otherwise US citizens also affected

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sorry Misread post and could not delete my reply .
    Last edited by gerinemo; 05-05-17 at 19:59. Reason: Sorry Misread post

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post

Got a link?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Think you will find it was a guy in Scotland got 2 years for selling dodgy boxes fully loaded.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (06-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Dont think they can do anything about the likes of exodus regarding legal action, all it is a scraper.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast