Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: 2 boxes with same MAC address

Title
    Thanks

2 boxes with same MAC address

This problem arrived with 5.0.011 (I think). After flashing from scratch (no settings or plugins restore) both TM Twins seemed to freeze randomly on any channel, even FTA. The same thing happened even in standby, with the front display frozen at the time of total function loss.

No crash logs generated and nothing of any interest in the debug logs, which just ended abruptly.

Much investigation later, I found that both boxes had the same MAC address and was surprised to find that changing this is not supported in ViX for the TM Twins.

Flashed OpenATV on one box, changed its MAC address and all was well. Re-flashing ViX 5.0.013 created the same problem, so I now have one Twin on ViX, the other on ATV. My 'spare' TM Nano SE M2 Plus has just been flashed with STV too and all one's are happy at the moment!

I understand that I can go the serial and null-modem cable route, but as I would have to borrow a PC with a RS232 port (don't have one on any of my notebooks) and obtain the cables, it's not really an option for me.

The fact that the MAC address can be changed in the ATV image suggests that this should be doable in ViX too - but lots of digging around in the network interface files has left me no wiser as to where the MAC address is determined from.

Would appreciate any help with this issue, as I would prefer to have all boxes on ViX. Rather than a mixture.
    2x TM Twin-OE, Fixed dish on 28.2E, quad LNB
    http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/co...y-emoticon.gif

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you copied or restored the 'enigma2' folder from ATV to ViX it could of caused this problem.

Look in /etc/enigma2 in both boxes for a file named 'hwmac', this is the file that OpenATV creates when changing mac address, delete it and reboot which will restore the original mac address.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to maxben For This Useful Post:

Piranha (23-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    but lots of digging around in the network interface files has left me no wiser as to where the MAC address is determined from.
    You can set it in /etc/network/interfaces, e.g.
    Code:
           iface ethernet inet static
                mtu 1500
                hwaddress 11:22:33:44:55:66
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Piranha (23-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    The changed MAC gets stored in /etc/enigma2/hwmac and although setting it might not be supported in OpenViX, the functionality to set it during ifup is part of the oa-a core and thus the file mentioned before will also work in OpenViX.

Nevertheless, OpenATV is the better image ;->

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk
    Receiver/TV:
    • Vu+ Duo² 4*S2+2*C / 1.8TB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 50" Plasma
    • AX Quadbox 2400 / 2*S2/2*C / 930GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 32" LCD
    • Vu+ Solo² / 465GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • Vu+ Solo² / 230GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • DVBSky S2-Twin-Tuner PCIe@Samsung SyncMaster T240HD (PC)
    Pay TV: Redlight Mega, Brazzers TV Europe, XXL, HD-, Sky
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceRat For This Useful Post:

Piranha (23-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    You can set it in /etc/network/interfaces, e.g.
    Code:
           iface ethernet inet static
                mtu 1500
                hwaddress 11:22:33:44:55:66
    Thanks Birdman - what is the significance of the 'mtu 1500' element? Rarely use Telnet and don't want to try this and find that mtu 1500 is the Ethernet adaptor type for your box and not mine!
    2x TM Twin-OE, Fixed dish on 28.2E, quad LNB
    http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/co...y-emoticon.gif

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    Thanks Birdman - what is the significance of the 'mtu 1500' element? Rarely use Telnet and don't want to try this and find that mtu 1500 is the Ethernet adaptor type for your box and not mine!
    In the context of a MAC address, none at all.
    That was just a cut&paste from a manpage.
    The mtu is the maximum size to send in an Ethernet packet. There is (very) rarely any need to change it.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Piranha (23-04-17)