Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Unicable (1) vs. Unicable-2 / JESS

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unicable (1) vs. Unicable-2 / JESS

Hello,

Still struggling to fully understand the whole Unicable / FBC business (despite reading many excellent posts on the forum!)

I just found an installer to upgrade to Unicable / FBC. However he’s proposing to fit the “old” Inverto Unicable (IDLB-QUDL42-UNI2L-0PP), which according to its spec sheet only supports 4 SCRs. The newer Unicable 2 (Inverto’s IDLU-32UL40-UNBOO-OPP) supports 32. My primary STB will be a vu+ Solo4k but I need the set up to be future proof and capable of feeding a second STB (with FBC tuners) for streaming contents etc.

Could someone please explain the key differences between the original Unicable and Unicable 2 in general terms, and also for my proposed setup? Am I correct that the 4 vs 32 SCRs is a serious limitation?

Also in a previous thread about a year ago, Rob van der Does reported problems between Unicable (1) LNBs and Vu+ dual tuners. If this problem has not been sorted then clearly I need to avoid the IDLB-QUDL42-UNI2L-0PP. Correct?

The Inverto Unicable 2 are programmable. Does that mean that they must first be programmed for a specific setup prior to / as part of the installation, or can they be used straight out of the box? In what situations do they need to be programmed, is it only when combining LNBs to “replace” the DISEqC?

Also the installer stated that “solo4k accepts only 4freq on each cable when unicable lnb is used.” Is this just about each input being capable of supporting 4 virtual tuners?

Thanks for any advice, comments or suggestions… almost there.
    Mr_D

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Principles are the same. Unicable 2 has more SCR. Generally, the maximum number of SCR on unicable 1 were 4. Newer type is 24/32 although theoretically it is 64.

If you had a solo 4k, and could only record of 4 transport streams, would you be as happy as someone who could use all eight that the onboard tuners can handle? (That is the answer to the question about 4/32 limitation for you.)

The programming aspect does not really concern the average domestic user. You can use them out of the box. For the commercial user, they could program it and pipe to many different devices without fear of clashes.

The statement about 4 frequencies on each wire is not correct. Otherwise, how can you achieve 32 when you can only connect one wire to the LNB?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Mr_D (22-04-17)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
    the installer stated that “solo4k accepts only 4freq on each cable when unicable lnb is used.” Is this just about each input being capable of supporting 4 virtual tuners?
    The installer is talking crap. Best find another installer. This guy's knowledge seems very limited. Either that or he has a load of Unicable 1 LNBs he is trying to off load. Either way, steer well clear.

Both Abu and I have Solo4K receivers. In Abu's case he has Unicable LNB to tuner A and a motor on tuner B. The six link tuners (C through H) are chained to tuner A and using the Unicable LNB on 28.2E. The Unicable side of my system is set up the same.

I can't see why anyone would recommend the Unicable 1 LNB for the Solo4K as that would limit it to recording from a maximum of 4 transport streams, not 8.

Having a 32 channel LNB means you can have the Solo4K using 8 and still have plenty of extra SCRs for receivers in other rooms.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Mr_D (22-04-17),twol (22-04-17)