Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is ET7500 HD 2x DVB-S2 the right one for me?

Title
    Thanks

Is ET7500 HD 2x DVB-S2 the right one for me?

My old Sky satellite is connected to my old home-made HTPC (Windows XP, hauppauge wintv-nova-s-plus PCI) which I am going to replace with a laptop (Windows 10) plus some kind of receiver. My budget is small. Rather than getting a laptop usb receiver, I think I'm going to get an Enigma2 box.

I have a newish 1TB 3.5" HDD from the old HTPC which I don't want to have to replace, so I hope to use that as storage. But I don't want to mount it via USB - I'd rather have internal. No current boxes have that (as opposed to 2.5"), but some have E-SATA - is that going to be as stable as internal HDD?

The GiGaBlue HD X1 1x DVB-S/S2 is currently down to £69 and has E-SATA. As has the Xtrend ET7500 HD 1x DVB-S2 Single tuner currently at £109 and the Dreambox DM500HD V2 1x DVB-S2 at £99. But I believe that of these three only the ET7500 has internal HDD support, which I might want in the future if my current HDD fails. I'm not sure how important that factor is, but then I saw that for only £10 more at the moment I could get a second tuner! I don't currently have two signals but I gather it's not super expensive to change that - which might happen in the near future. (Has to be Satellite since there's bad T signal here). Does it sound like the ET7500 HD 2x SVB-S2 is the right one for me? Or should I go the USB HDD route and get something else for similar budget?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Gez, good to see you over here, its a bit more relazed as to what can be discussed.

Personally I would not get too caught up about the type of HD you use, USB esata it will work so dont worry.

I would be looking at tuners dual tuners are good modular is better this means that you can add a tuner or swap it out for a different type if for example you move to a cabled area. I got the Xtrend 8500 a few weeks back and am very happy with it. Bt I am sure others will give you some more advice

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    The ET7500 is nice spec, well built solid receiver. I'd recommend it all day long. The internal HDD is 2.5" though.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonMMM View Post
    dual tuners are good modular is better this means that you can add a tuner or swap it out for a different type if for example you move to a cabled area.
    Thank you. How do I know which ones are modular? Are there any at my kind of budget?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GezAndJaack View Post
    Thank you. How do I know which ones are modular? Are there any at my kind of budget?
    The 2nd tuner on ET7500 is modular.

Xtrend ET8500 all tuners are modular.

What budget do you have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    The ET7500 is nice spec, well built solid receiver. I'd recommend it all day long. The internal HDD is 2.5" though.
    Yes I think all of the current ones are 2.5" rather than 3.5" - but if I have to buy a new HDD in the future I can buy a 2.5" one. I just want to use my 3.5" one for now - so I'm trying to work out if that will be ok externally via USB - some people don't seem to like doing that.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Yes will be fine provided it's a powered cradle for the hdd. You could even use the rear esatap port.

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    The 2nd tuner on ET7500 is modular.
    Aha that's very good to know - thanks.
    What budget do you have in mind?
    My budget is just as low as possible for Enigma2 and OpenVix and a machine that won't break down on me.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Don't think you can go far wrong with the ET7500.

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    I would always use an external with power e.g. Caddy
    I have both ET7500 and ET8500, long before people on this forum.
    ET7500 is a dead solid, no thrills receiver, just does what it says on the tin....have had mine since availability....... absolutely no issues in that time with anything.
    ET8500 is a better receiver, more capabilities, great coloured LCD which is dimmable and skinnable but often disliked because it doesn't look like a normal black AV box..... great engineering with easy slide in 2.5 HDD capability and you can take the lid off in about 5 seconds without tools ... compared to my SF4008 that needs 13 screw changes to get the HDD installed
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

GezAndJaack (04-04-17),Sicilian (04-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Isn't the Technomate TM-Nano-SE M2 PLUS (with 2x DVB-S) pretty much the same spec as the ET7500? And at the moment they are the same price. Are there differences I have missed?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Yes similar spec, no front display though.

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    And if I'm going the USB PVR route then there's the Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 - which has wifi. Not sure why I'd need wifi though. I've seen people here like the Edison.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Yep that too.

D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

GezAndJaack (04-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    My short list - twin tuners

£100 Mutant HD1500 HD H.265 HEVC Linux Enigma2 Twin Tuner DVB-S/S2
    £100 Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 ... has wifi ... and bluetooth, I just noticed
    £130 OCTAGON SF228 Linux Enigma 2 2x DVB-S/S2
    £130 ET7500 HD 2x DVB-S2 ... has internal HDD
    £130 Technomate TM-Nano-SE M2 PLUS (with 2x DVB-S) ..... no front display but .... has internal HDD

Is there at least one modular tuner on all of these?

Now that I'm losing my obsession with SATA or Internal HDD, I'm much more undecided than I was before. Maybe I'll sleep on it!

Gez
    Last edited by GezAndJaack; 04-04-17 at 18:58. Reason: noticed bluetooth on Edison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast