Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: 8 tuner or 4 tuner on Uno 4k

Title
    Thanks

8 tuner or 4 tuner on Uno 4k

I've had my Uno4k for over a month now with both sat tuners connected to normal lnb. On a fixed sky mini dish This gives me ability to record one channel and watch another channel at the same time.
    Thanks to help from this forum I think I've got to grips with the operation and setup of the receiver and it's now time to take advantage of the FBC tuners. I've read through the various threads on the unicable section and before I order a lnb I'd like to check a couple of things
    Each connection have 4 tuners available to them giving 8 possible tuners so as I understand this will give me the capability of recording 7 programs and watching an eighth (not sure that will ever happen though)

The first lnb I'm looking at is the Inverto Unicable II with a single connection. Do I have to split the cable to connect to the two independent tuners.

The other lnb I could use is the inverto unicable with legacy connection and run two cables from the dish? This would give me 4 tuners on connection A and a single tuner on connection B.

Which either lnb I choose would the receiver automatically recognise the tuners and all I would need to do is scan the channels

I would appreciate any advise on setting up

Thanks

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Go for the Unicable II. There is a setup guide (that needs a bit of an update). Tuners are not 1 + 3 like you describe. They are 2 + 6. i.e. the link tuners can be attached to either input or both. e.g. you could have 1 + 6 and save tuner B for a motor.

Solo 4K is internally linkable so doesn't need a splitter. I'm guessing the Uno FBC tuner would be the same.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (26-03-17),chalky (25-03-17),nsw9154 (26-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    That I didn't realise. So I would be able to record 6 and watch another
    Is there any chance the guide will be updated soon
    Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    These are two different scenarios.

If you tuners are internally linked, you can connect with only one cable and link the others.

If you tuners are not internally linked,, you must use a splitter and provide each of the real/physical tuners a signal source.

Title
    Thanks
    Posting in different post to avoid joining up what should not be joined up.

It is important to understand that the other tuners are not real tuners. The provide access to a signal stream, but they are not real/physical tuners. There is a subtle difference.

If both physical tuners are in use, even though you have free "fake tuners", and you wanted to run ABM or CrossEPG, you will be told that there are no free tuners. People who do not appreciate the subtle difference will struggle to understand this, they will say I have eight tuners, how come it is telling me I don't have any free?

Yes, you can record from eight different transport streams. This does not mean just eight channels, there are several channels on most transponders.

People call the "fake tuners" different things. I hope that there is some kind of uniformity.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (26-03-17),nsw9154 (26-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Using a "4 SCR plus Two universal port Unicable LNB".

One way of doing it:

Use two wires:
    Universal/standard port connected with cable to physical/real Tuner A.
    Unicable Port connected to physical/real Tuner B

Configure Tuner real/physical A as simple, single, 28.2
    Configure Tuner real/physical B as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 1

Configure Tuner C (fake) as advanced, LOF= Jess, brand, model, linked to Tuner B, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 2
    Configure Tuner D (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner C, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 3
    Configure Tuner E (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner D, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 4

The particular LNB only has 4 SCR, so you are out of SCR channels. Leave the rest as defaults and they will be used as and when required for loop through.

It has two universal LNB ports, one has been used in this example. There is one more universal LNB port free. To make use of it, a wire must be connected direct from LNB port to receiver/tuner.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (26-03-17),nsw9154 (26-03-17),TK4|2|1 (26-03-17),zombou55 (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Using a Jess/Unicable 2 LNB,

Note: Jess/Unicable 2 equipment on paper is capable of 64 SCR, (channels/frequencies). LNBs are usually 24/32 SCR (channels/frequencies).
    You also get switches, these are not being discussed here.

Scenario: tuners are internally linked, so one cable used. User does not have any other receivers, so splitter not used

Configure Tuner real/physical A as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 1
    Configure Tuner real/physical B as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 2
    Configure Tuner C (fake) as advanced, LOF= Jess, brand, model, linked to Tuner B, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 3
    Configure Tuner D (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner C, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 4
    Configure Tuner E (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner D, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 5
    Configure Tuner F (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner E, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 6
    Configure Tuner G (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner F, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 7
    Configure Tuner H (fake) as advanced, LOF = Jess, brand, model, Linked to Tuner G, select a unique SCR channel, lets say 8

Always note down which SCRs are used to avoid clashes.

Eight SCRs are used, receiver has capacity for more. The rest are available for other receivers/tuners. You must use a splitter if you want to make use of them.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (26-03-17),chalky (26-03-17),DigitalAardvark (27-03-17),nsw9154 (26-03-17),TK4|2|1 (26-03-17),twol (26-03-17),zombou55 (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply
    I appreciate the effort you have put into your reply which has given me and im sure other members a better understanding on this subject.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chalky For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (26-03-17),Bangord30 (26-03-17)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    my Ultimo 4k will arrive tomorrow (Monday) from WOS fitted with both Sat and Cable FBC Tuners but i will also be fitting one of my DVB-2 Dual Tuners from my Duo2 until i get a Unicable II LNB and finally install my Motorized Gibertini 80cm Dish that i bought over 2 years ago

the only thing that confuses me is having to use a Splitter for the Sat feeds, how dose that work with having both Vertical and Horizontal feeds running through the same cable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    my Ultimo 4k will arrive tomorrow (Monday) from WOS fitted with both Sat and Cable FBC Tuners but i will also be fitting one of my DVB-2 Dual Tuners from my Duo2 until i get a Unicable II LNB and finally install my Motorized Gibertini 80cm Dish that i bought over 2 years ago

the only thing that confuses me is having to use a Splitter for the Sat feeds, how dose that work with having both Vertical and Horizontal feeds running through the same cable
    You can use an FBC tuner with a normal LNB. If you have a twin FBC Sat tuner and two satellite wires, you don't need to add the dual sat tuner card. No harm, and you can make use of it afterwards too.

You can split an aerial wire, you can split a DVB-Cable because all the frequncies come down the same wire. It is not as if you have 4 aerials per house for the sitting room, kitchen, bedrooms! You use a splitter for such homes. A "purely only" unicable LNB has one connection for the signal wire. If it has capacity for 32 SCR/frequencies, how do you think all those receives will connect to it? You cannot split/share a universal/ordinary LNB, you can split a unicable LNB.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (26-03-17),nsw9154 (26-03-17)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thank you abu for explaining that as i remember when i fitted my first Sat system in 1992 i bought a 2nd receiver and split the signal with a TV Coax splitter and every time i changed channels i could hear the Wife & Kids screaming in the other room to change it back then i found out that you needed a Double LNB to have 2 receivers running together lol

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsw9154 View Post
    Spitter is used with Unicable where there is only one feed. The horizontal/vertical thing is irrelevant to Unicable because it is not a block convertor. Instead specific transponders are converted on demand.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-03-17)