Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Having real difficulties with the menus

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moulin View Post
    Again, seems to be another defficiency in Open ATV then, although one that can be worked around.

When I'm feeling braver I will have a go at flashing it with ViX - wish I'd chosen that originally but hey you only find these things out by using them.
    I am amazed at how much you have achieved ... certainly a fast learner
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

moulin (29-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Well when that fateful day comes I'm relying on you twol to show me the fool-proof way of doing it that I think you mentioned. But I'll stick with Open ATV for the moment as it's doing what I want, with the help of DreamboxEdit which is really very good.

Title
    Thanks
    Hello again. I've been quiet because in the main I and OpenATV have a truce and it's mostly doing the very basic things I need it to do now, mainly the multistrams on 5 deg W.

However....

I'm able to record programmes to a USB stick and watch them with VLC player on my computer. But here's the stupid bit: I haven't found a way to play them on the Octagon itself. When I put the USB stick into the Octagon with programmes that the latter has itself recorded on that very stick, it says "No displayable files on this media found".

Going to Movie Centre (which is probably the wrong thing anyway) gets me nowhere.

Please - what am I doing wrong??!!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    If I had to take a wild guess looking at the remote, the recordings will be in Playlist. (Next to the record button)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Also depends what format your usb device is? My guess is NTFS?

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

moulin (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you. Tried and ended up in Enhanced Movie Centre (as before) with no files visible. However, then tried Menu and Reload Directory (I think it was) and magically the files have appeared.

I think it's a FAT USB as it was formatted in my Aston Simba Fransat box which does FAT not NTFS.

Thanks again.

Title
    Thanks
    Glad you sorted it.

Title
    Thanks
    After a good 16 months of calm with the Octagon 4008, I've run into problems big time trying to record.

It all started when I decided to clear out the 64 GB USB stick I use. I reformatted in my laptop. Put it back in the Octagon, recordings were made but were no longer visible via the PLAYLIST button on the remote, although they were visible to the laptop. Long story short, it seemed to be that the Octagon was no longer putting them in the "movie" subfolder that it used to use. Eventually I sorted that out, in the menus I set the three destination folders (in record setup) to media/hdd/movies, and thought I was OK, it certainly worked fine that evening.

A few days later I discover that I can no longer make recordings at all on any USB stick. I've tried fomatting them in the Octagon itself (using the set up storage initialisation red button), it doesn't create a movie folder. I've tried creating a movie folder with the laptop, I've tried doing without and telling the Octagon to record on the root of the hdd. I've tried everything I can think of and have become EXTREMELY CROSS!!!!!! I just keep getting the message "unable to record - disc full?". Well none of the discs are full, they've been reformatted, and in both cases I've tried the Octagon reformat AND a laptop reformat.

Why does this box have to be so damned complicated and the menus so user-unfriendly? I ask because I now have the Octagon SX88+ and all my irritation with the 4008 disappears because the SX88 is simple, intuitive, clean, and easy. What I can't get the little box to do is to record everything with a specified programme name, one of the things I like about the 4008 (probably called EPG series link or search-and-record) and if I could I'd put the 4008 in the bin. But now the 4008 is refusing to record anything at all it may well go in the bin anyway unless one of you clever people can see what I'm doing wrong.

I've considered a factory reset but as it took me so long to get the channel lists the way I want, and as I'm uncertain I could save and reload them, that's not really an option.

Anyway, if any of you can help I'd be very VERY grateful. But please keep it simple......

One basic question, should I be using FAT32 or NTFS? I'm sure the original working formatting was FAT32 but when I did get it working briefly a few days ago I have a feeling I'd used NTFS on the laptop.....
    Last edited by moulin; 18-07-18 at 11:43.

Title
    Thanks
    Reformatted your USB equals ‘the files will no longer be visible.
    Also as you have reformatted your USB, you will need to initialise the USB within ViX to format it to Ext 3/4 etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Should have been clearer - sorry. I regularly record on the 64 GB stick, then transfer the files elsewhere (well just the *.ts file, that's all that's needed for VLC player) for permanent storage. What I mean is that - whilst it was allowing me to record until recently - the files THAT HAD ONLY JUST BEEN RECORDED weren't visible on the Octagon via the PLAYLIST button. I could get at them though via the mediaplayer, but that was a faff....

OK, so you say I need to initialise it within VIX. Isn't that what I've done (as described above) by going SETUP -> SYSTEM -> STORAGE DEVICE -> Initialisation....? I've done all that on both USB sticks, and they still won't allow recordings.

But thank you for trying to help, it must be something simple that has gone wrong....

Title
    Thanks
    FWIW for a while a 32 GB stick that I normally use in another sat receiver was still working fine, but I've just tested that and get the same message about not being able to record.

My guess is that in trying to get the 64 GB to work I've upset something in the Record location/default movie location settings. Could someone please remind me what the default settings should read for default movie location, instant record location and timer record location and I'll set them again. I've got them all set to /media/hdd/movie at the moment....

Title
    Thanks
    Do you not have an internal HDD in your SF4008?

Title
    Thanks
    No, prefer to record on a stick and then keep the recordings safe on completely separate drives.

Title
    Thanks
    duplicate post - sorry.

Title
    Thanks
    Instead of unplugging the usb every time you want to transfer to a pc, why not just ftp into the receiver and just move from the box to the pc?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast