Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: File timers.xml damaged

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments

Thread: File timers.xml damaged

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

File timers.xml damaged

Hi,

did a upgrade now to 5.0.007, after the install I got a message that the file timers.xml is damaged,
    the file is renamed to timers.xml.old, and I can't find any new timers.xml.

Is it possible to rename the old back to xml without damage anything?

FYI, I did the same upgrade on my DUO2, and it didn't happened there.
    Vu+ Duo 4K 1 x FBC S2(X) on 0.8º W, 4 TB HD 2.5"
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K 1 x FBC S2(X) on 0.8º W, 2 TB HD 2.5"
    All with latest stable image
    80 cm dish with Diavolo Unicable II LNB

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Do you have any auto timers set up?

If not, create a timer and file with be created and you can FTP in and see what was in old ones and re add.

You can rename the old file but I would not as clearly something went awry and as it's a simple thing to redo more time effective.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (23-03-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, I have around 20 auto-timers, However, now after 3-4 minutes the file was back. but much smaller in size, looked at it and the finished timers at the end was removed...
    All seems to be OK, but I haven't got this error before ater a reboot.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello!

It happened again

After I rebooted the box an error message appeared that timers.xml is damaged. Timer list is empty (green button), I looked via ftp and after a minute or so the file appeared again, smaller in size, (cleared of finished timers).
    And a new timers.xml_old are also available.

I have only experienced this with the latest version 5.0.008

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toja60 View Post
    And a new timers.xml_old are also available.
    If you could upload that file here it might help.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

zipped timers.xml_old

Yes...

timers.zip

Title
    Thanks
    After I rebooted the box an error message appeared that timers.xml is damaged.
    Does it in fact say this?

The timer file (timers.xml) is corrupt and could not be loaded.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    The file contains several entries such as this:

<log code="501" time="1490532550">[AutoTimer] Warning, AutoTimer Kommissarie Banks messed with a timer which might not belong to it: Kommissarie Banks .</log>
    <log code="501" time="1490718738">[AutoTimer] Warning, AutoTimer Smartare än en femteklassare messed with a timer which might not belong to it: Smartare än en femteklassare .</log>
    <log code="501" time="1490718741">[AutoTimer] Warning, AutoTimer Världens natur: Planet Earth 2 messed with a timer which might not belong to it: Världens natur: Planet Earth 2 .</log>
    , which might be of interest to you when looking at your AutoTimer settings, but I can't see that would make the file appear to be corrupt.

More interesting/relevant is that Kate (the KDE editor) reckons that the file contains invalid characters when read as a utf-8 file. I haven't found out where the issue is yet though.
    That may well make the XML parser complain that there is an error.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    More interesting/relevant is that Kate (the KDE editor) reckons that the file contains invalid characters when read as a utf-8 file. I haven't found out where the issue is yet though.
    That may well make the XML parser complain that there is an error.

/local/users/gml4410/Downloads/timers.xml_old:656: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
    Bytes: 0xC3 0x26 0x61 0x70
    ll för ett av sina porträtt_ Men så får Jerry reda på att hon är en imitat
    0xc3, which is the start of and extended utf8 sequence, must be followed by a continuation byte, which has the top-bit (0x80) set. but 0x26 does not, so this is invalid utf8.

And I can see what the problem is....(a solution may be more problematic...).

The actual full line is:

<log code="0" time="1490963320">Filename calculated as: &apos;/media/hdd/movie/Seinfeld/20170331 1429 - TV6 HD (S) - Seinfeld - (Säsong 3_ Del 21 av 23) (1991)_Amerikansk komediserie från 1991-92_ Jerry dejtar en konstnär som låter Kramer sitta modell för ett av sina porträtt_ Men så får Jerry reda på att hon är en imitat�&apos;</log>
    So you are setting the filename from the full description. Which is long. And hence needs to be truncated to fit into the filename length. But the truncation is being done at the byte level, not at a (utf8) character level and this particular truncation was done in the middle of a sequence.

It's also possible that the actual filename is OK, but and it's just the log reporting that is truncating.

A workaround until there is a fix is not to use full descriptions for filenames.

Title
    Thanks
    It's also possible that the actual filename is OK, but and it's just the log reporting that is truncating.
    Looks like the filename is "wrong" too.

Tools/Directories.py has:
    Code:
     filename = filename[:247]
    which is a simple byte chop. It needs to have a bit more intelligence (fortunately utf8 bytes can be read backwards deterministically, and I was writing C code to do it a few weeks back...).

Title
    Thanks
    It needs to have a bit more intelligence (fortunately utf8 bytes can be read backwards deterministically, and I was writing C code to do it a few weeks back...).
    Or, given that this isn't in any time critical code, just convert it to Unicode ignoring errors, then convert it back (which means any trailing partial character sequence gets ignored).
    Code:
    filename = unicode(filename[:247], 'utf8', 'ignore').encode('utf8', 'ignore')

Title
    Thanks
    Or, given that this isn't in any time critical code, just convert it to Unicode ignoring errors, then convert it back (which means any trailing partial character sequence gets ignored).
    Code:
    filename = unicode(filename[:247], 'utf8', 'ignore').encode('utf8', 'ignore')
    I've submitted that fix for inclusion in the Dev stream.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Birdman, thanks alot for all your investigation! I'm pretty sure that the error was "Damaged"...
    I enabled "long file name" or description just for testing for a while, but is back to standard now.

I upgraded to latest fw 009 yesterday, and this timer error didn't appeared now, so long only 2 times (at reboot) in 008.

Title
    Thanks
    I upgraded to latest fw 009 yesterday, and this timer error didn't appeared now, so long only 2 times (at reboot) in 008.
    It will only happen if you have a long description and the 247 byte limit happens to fall in the middle of as multi-byte character.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Toja60 (02-04-17)