Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Drive free space vanishing

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive free space vanishing

Title
    Thanks

Drive free space vanishing

After having flashed the box with the Willo build (which was on 4.2.030), I found that my 1TB internal hdd (supplied very recently with the box by WoS) freespace went from 99% to 33%, after having left it on for only a few days for just a few recordings.

In particular many other users are also reporting the problem, including at least one user (aceone in Techkings) running Openatv 6, see:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...g-my-HDD-space
    and
    Code:
    http://www.techkings.org/threads/is-the-edision-os-mega-the-right-one-for-me.119032/#post-680916
    I have tried many tests and potential fixes, but the problem persists:
    1) Redirecting /hdd/movie and timeshift to a 16GB USB stick formatted in ext4
    2) Flashed 5.0.002
    3) Turning off timeshift
    4) Turning off swap
    5) Performing a reinitialisation of the hdd, in ext4, via the menu
    6) Performing a file system check on the hdd, via the menu. Like a restart this was however effective in returning the lost space, but the problem did not go away

I have found that:
    a) Executing fsck -alR on the hdd, and indeed from root, via puTTY, showed no sizeable file that could possibly have explained the lost space
    b) Executing fsck or hard restart / reboot from the menu are effective in reclaiming the lost space
    c) Recorded programme file sizes are as expected, timeshift file sizes (that are visible by Filezilla or ls-a) do not appear excessive
    d) Recording programmes, allowing timeshift to be on, or pressing the pause button on the remote all give rise to hdd freespace lost
    e) On the other hand hdd freespace does not change (between restarts e.g.) by leaving the box on without recording programmes as long as timeshift is disabled and not pressing the pause button
    f) It is of course not conclusive, from just reading posts and asking other kind users to do tests on their machines, but I have seen no evidence yet that any user is free from this hdd freespace loss phenomenon, if they record and delete programmes, or have timeshift on.
    g) Disabling timeshift might have lowered the rate of freespace loss. At one stage I was experiencing ~8GB of loss an hour.

Many thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers!
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 14-03-17 at 10:45.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Try setting up without a pre done build. Do a fresh flash of ViX 5.0.1 & setup from scratch and enable logs and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

speedygonzalez (14-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Try setting up without a pre done build. Do a fresh flash of ViX 5.0.1 & setup from scratch and enable logs and see what happens.
    Andy I have set up a clean 5.0.001 build from scratch without restore as you suggested.

I had 942.78GB free, then I recorded two BBC HD programmes, in total around one hour, which according to Filezilla were just over 2.2GB, but freespace dropped to 911.16GB!

I always read freespace off Menu / Information / Devices

Then I deleted those programmes, waited and waited and yet freespace did not increase at all, remaining steadfast at 911.16GB. The fact that no increase of freespace at all is unexpected, because in previous builds the freespace always increase after programme deletion, but not enough. The difference "might" have been caused by the fact that I stopped those recordings by the red button in the PVR menu, rather than letting those programmes finish recording, but either way the symptom is still not justifiable.

Then I executed the command

find /media/hdd -type f -size +50000k -exec ls -alh {} \;

which member ccs here kindly suggested earlier in the other thread - as expected from my previous exploration, the biggest files found were the recordings, all totalling nothing like the 30GB+ that is missing...

Then I restarted, now freespace is 940.11GB. The difference with the 942.78GB might have been caused by my setting Logging up while the programmes were recording.

I noticed, from monitoring by Filezilla, that recording file size changed only every 10:00 minutes. It would mean the system writes into a temporary workspace in the intervening time and only copy/overwrite the recording at those instances. It is conceivable that the system fails to release those temporary workspace properly.

Now having restarted, logging has started. I will record something, let it finish normally, and see what comes up.

I will also try to figure out how best to run the script:

#!/bin/sh
    #
    cd /proc
    for l in [0-9]*/fd/*; do
    ( /bin/ls -l $l | grep '(deleted)$') 2>/dev/null
    done

birdman kindly provided me with in the other thread.

As I mentioned in the original bug report this morning, a user running Openatv 6 is having the same problem, which probably means the problem is probably not affected by the build, but is something far more fundamental / low level within the system.

Cheers!
    Last edited by speedygonzalez; 14-03-17 at 16:43.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Don't forget that deleted programmes go into .trash for n days, which is configurable.

The script can be run via telnet, by simply issuing each command, line by line, starting with cd /proc.

(I tried it, and it found no files on my box.)
    Last edited by ccs; 14-03-17 at 16:54.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Don't forget that deleted programmes go into .trash for n days, which is configurable.

The script can be run via telnet, by simply issuing each command, line by line, starting with cd /proc.

(I tried it, and it found no files on my box.)
    Thanks for letting me know. I have now disabled trash and restarted.

Cheers!

Title
    Thanks
    Folks, I have done more tests as discussed above.

In case there is any confusion, timeshift has never been enabled for this clean 5.0.001 build, and I did not touch the pause button.

Trash is now disabled, which I established to be the case after deleting a programme - incidentally now without trash on after programme deletion the freespace does increase (like I have been experiencing before this build), and the increase took its time (over a few minutes) - another phenomenon which is also consistent with my previous builds. so I suspect my previous builds had trash disabled.

Unfortunately, the increase in freespace after programme deletion is again coming up very short. The hdd freespace gobbling monster is alive and well!!

After rebooting and before recording, freespace was 911.16GB.

After recording the programme, the size of which I established via both Filezilla and PuTTY to be 2GB, freespace was 889.81GB, i.e. over 21GB gone.

I then ran the script shown above that Birdman kindly wrote for me, it came up with nothing.

After deleting the programme with the red button in PVR, I waited the few minutes for freespace to stabilize (which incidentally coincided with the programme files no longer visible by Filezilla), freespace became 891.74GB. Essentially over 19GB vanished

I am sure if I restart, I will get the lost freespace back. But I am going to wait, so that I do not destroy useful evidence that might help hunting this bug.

I have attached the log, unfortunately, it is gobbledegook to me...

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Some commands which may help:

Displays disc usage on flash as well HDD and/or USB
    Code:
    df -mh
    Puts box to sleep, unmounts HDD, and forces a check of disc (ensure you don't have recording or timeshift in operation - /dev/sda1 may differ also)
    Code:
    init 4
    umount /dev/sda1
    e2fsck -p -c -f /dev/sda1

With regards to debug log, the following sticks out for me:

There were a lot of the following messages...
    Code:
    [eDVBRecordFileThread] Waiting for I/O to complete
    [eFilePushThreadRecorder] Warning: All write buffers busy
    and also I found this:
    Code:
    [eFilePushThreadRecorder] *read error* (Bad file descriptor) - aborting thread because i don't know what else to do
    Forgive me as I haven't read any previous threads over this but is your HDD powered itself or via USB?
    Last edited by bbbuk; 14-03-17 at 20:16.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbbuk For This Useful Post:

speedygonzalez (15-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Observations on the log.

(Unfortunately it has no timestamps - they've been turned back on for future release - so we can't work out when things happened in relation to others).

There are three recordings mentioned in the log.

[RecordTimer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=\86Building Dream Homes\87, begin=Tue Mar 14 13:57:00 2017, serviceref=1:0:19:1B1C:802:2:11A0000:0:0:0:, justplay=0, isAutoTimer=0)
    [RecordTimer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=ITV Racing Live: Cheltenham..., begin=Tue Mar 14 12:57:00 2017, serviceref=1:0:19:5208:812:2:11A0000:0:0:0::ITV London HD, justplay=0, isAutoTimer=False)[RecordTimer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=\86Celebrity Home Secrets\87, begin=Tue Mar 14 16:27:00 2017, serviceref=1:0:19:5208:812:2:11A0000:0:0:0::ITV London HD, justplay=0, isAutoTimer=False}
    The \86 \87 characters are "Start of selected Area" and "End of selected Area". Odd (possibly).

The presence of the first two is a little odd, given that the log appears to show enigma2 stating up at 15:56:46.
    The first doesn't seem to have activated a recording.
    The second does, as does the third.

There are many entries like this (which isn't good):
    Then this shows up as one recording stops:
    Code:
    [eFilePushThreadRecorder] *read error* (Bad file descriptor) - aborting thread because i don't know what else to do.
    Plus there are lots of reports about the EPGcache, like this:
    [eEPGCache] FS subtable (60280000) version changed (12) now/next (1)
    [eEPGCache] FS subtable (60280000) version changed (12) now/next (1)
    which may, or may not, be significant.

However, there is definitely something amiss with your storage system.
    Are you using a local HDD, or a remote file-server?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

speedygonzalez (15-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    The hdd is a Toshiba 1TB drive (MQ01ABD1), supplied inside the box, by WoS, a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuk View Post
    Some commands which may help:

Displays disc usage on flash as well HDD and/or USB
    Code:
    df -mh
    Puts box to sleep, unmounts HDD, and forces a check of disc (ensure you don't have recording or timeshift in operation - /dev/sda1 may differ also)
    Code:
    init 4
    umount /dev/sda1
    e2fsck -p -c -f /dev/sda1

With regards to debug log, the following sticks out for me:

There were a lot of the following messages...
    Code:
    and also I found this:
    Code:
    [eFilePushThreadRecorder] *read error* (Bad file descriptor) - aborting thread because i don't know what else to do
    Forgive me as I haven't read any previous threads over this but is your HDD powered itself or via USB?
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Observations on the log.

(Unfortunately it has no timestamps - they've been turned back on for future release - so we can't work out when things happened in relation to others).

There are three recordings mentioned in the log.

The \86 \87 characters are "Start of selected Area" and "End of selected Area". Odd (possibly).

The presence of the first two is a little odd, given that the log appears to show enigma2 stating up at 15:56:46.
    The first doesn't seem to have activated a recording.
    The second does, as does the third.

There are many entries like this (which isn't good):

Then this shows up as one recording stops:
    Code:
    [eFilePushThreadRecorder] *read error* (Bad file descriptor) - aborting thread because i don't know what else to do.
    Plus there are lots of reports about the EPGcache, like this:
    which may, or may not, be significant.

However, there is definitely something amiss with your storage system.
    Are you using a local HDD, or a remote file-server?

I am sorry bbbuk and birdman, I don't think I am adequately knowledgeable or competent to comment, but am of course more than happy to answer any question if I can. The only programme, that was recorded in this session immediately after a restart to ensure a "clean start" with trash can disabled just before 4pm, was this:

[RecordTimer] Record RecordTimerEntry(name=\86Celebrity Home Secrets\87, begin=Tue Mar 14 16:27:00 2017, serviceref=1:0:19:5208:812:2:11A0000:0:0:0::ITV London HD, justplay=0, isAutoTimer=False}

The other recordings are old and there are other old recordings not listed for whatever reason. I am happy to delete them all if and when it helps.

bbbuk what I do know, is if I do a file system check on the hdd, then all the lost space will be recovered.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygonzalez View Post
    bbbuk what I do know, is if I do a file system check on the hdd, then all the lost space will be recovered.
    I'm starting to wonder if your missing space is because of (what looks like) a storage problem especially if your missing space appears back again once HDD is checked/corrected.

Do you, by any chance, have another HDD you could try using instead just to test if that HDD is blame for missing space and the other (what looks like) storage issues?

Title
    Thanks
    I'm starting to wonder if your missing space is because of (what looks like) a storage problem especially if your missing space appears back again once HDD is checked/corrected.

Do you, by any chance, have another HDD you could try using instead just to test if that HDD is blame for missing space and the other (what looks like) storage issues?
    I haven't got a free hdd at the moment, but I do have a 32GB usb stick, but it might be too small? And do I have to rip the internal hdd out?

A data point that might suggest the issue lies elsewhere, is that users at the other thread here indicate their different disks (of 320GB, 500GB and 1TB) are having the same issue?

Is there any other similar angle/tool applicable, apart from birdman's script he kindly provided and reproduced above for "file deleted but not closed", that might be able to identify the "orphaned" hdd space either when it was still being created/filled, or after it was created/discarded?

I guess I am wondering if the space was ever a "file", because if it was, shouldn't it have been spotted by e.g. ls -alR during recording, e.g., while it was still in use and before it was deleted?

I therefore also wonder how many ways are there to "take possession" of hdd space in linux, and what code can spot them all.

My apologies in advance, if my train of thought makes no sense...

Cheers!

Title
    Thanks

Either the HDD or the Receiver, because this issue seems to affect only users of EDISION MEGA, including myself.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Edision OS MEGA TRIPLE TUNER COMBO
    Edision OS MINI+ Plus

Formuler F1
    Triviar Alpha

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kokojnr For This Useful Post:

bbbuk (14-03-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Still don't get the issue? or the paranoia about HDD space being used up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast