Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SD channels overscan on ET8500

Title
    Thanks

Question SD channels overscan on ET8500

If I watch HD channels on the ET 8500 its ok, the problem occurs when I watch SD channels, picture and menus appear to go off the screen slightly and not fit or one could call it overscan or somthing?

I have the latest VIX 4 series image before it changed to 5 series.

My Samsung ks9000 tv settings is set to picture size 16.9 and fit to screen - on

auto wide - on

4.3 screen size set to 16.9

Not sure what settings should be on ET8500 so picture and menus appear zoomed inn or not fit the screen, same problem with et8500 EPG?

When I watch or swict channels the screen auto resizes by turning on and off for few seconds then picture comes on but over scanned?

It can't be the Samsung as the inbuilt tuner fits the screen perfectly so it has to be the ET8500?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Try setting up on an SD channel such as BBC1 SD.
    Go to main menu/setup/System/User Interface/Positioner setup and realign screen.
    Save and exit.
    Change to HD channel ... what happens?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIEN1X View Post
    If I watch HD channels on the ET 8500 its ok, the problem occurs when I watch SD channels, picture and menus appear to go off the screen slightly and not fit or one could call it overscan or something?
    That probably means your TV has different settings according to the signal it's getting.
    My Sony TV is like that. I have to configure it (the TV) once for each resolution on each input to remove all overscan.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Try setting up on an SD channel such as BBC1 SD.
    Go to main menu/setup/System/User Interface/Positioner setup and realign screen.
    Save and exit.
    Change to HD channel ... what happens?
    I upgraded to latest image release 5 just in case if it may improve anything.

Now I tried the above as advised, the sd channel has improved interms of menus not shooting outside the screen, tried to get the best fit by playing around a little.

The HD channels appear ok but the menus or epg dose not fill the screen , this time its smaller?

none of these problems occurred before it started all of a sudden.

Oh when I change channels its slow, it kind of switches the picture off then on, then I get an auto resolution message on top right coner saying its adjusted resolution to what ever...etc. That never used to happen before either.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    What skin are you using?????
    Main menu/setup/System/av settings
    Change automatic resolution to disabled.
    Mode 1080i or 1080p
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Oh when I change channels its slow, it kind of switches the picture off then on, then I get an auto resolution message on top right coner saying its adjusted resolution to what ever...etc. That never used to happen before either.
    That means you have the AutoResolution plugin installed and active. It woudlalways have been there if you had it active. It's not installed by default. There's a simpler version builtin and, as twol has said, you can turn it all off, let the enigma2 box do all scaling and always send the same signal to the TV regardless of the incoming signal resolution (which means you only need to turn off overscan once).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    That means you have the AutoResolution plugin installed and active. It woudl always have been there if you had it active. It's not installed by default. There's a simpler version builtin and, as twol has said, you can turn it all off, let the enigma2 box do all scaling and always send the same signal to the TV regardless of the incoming signal resolution (which means you only need to turn off overscan once).

Title
    Thanks
    That means you have the AutoResolution plugin installed and active. It would always have been there if you had it active. It's not installed by default. There's a simpler version builtin and, as twol has said, you can turn it all off, let the enigma2 box do all scaling and always send the same signal to the TV regardless of the incoming signal resolution (which means you only need to turn off overscan once).

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    What skin are you using?????
    Main menu/setup/System/av settings
    Change automatic resolution to disabled.
    Mode 1080i or 1080p
    I'm Using Skin: Vix - Night HD (1280 X720). Hope that's a good one?

Image build: 5.0.001
    Disabled auto resolution as advised and mode 1080p for everything and all content.

All seems to be working fine, thanks for the help. I will monitor the situation just in case it dose not change.
    I have set refresh rate to multi?
    Display 4.3 content as auto
    Display 16.9 content as Auto