Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Nvidia Shield + tuner. What to buy?

Title
    Thanks

Question Nvidia Shield + tuner. What to buy?

Hi guys,

I would like your input regarding building a new setup.
    I would like to buy Nvidia shield and connect it to the smarttv.
    I was reading on xda about connecting some usb tuners to it so it works with live tv channels. This is however too complicated for me to do.
    I was also watching a video where nvidia was running HDHomerun, which gave an access to live tv. This was great, but did not support satellite.

I wonder if you could recommend any solution which works with Nvidia shield and could let me watch live tv (satellite and/or air) straight from shield interface?

Thanks for any advise!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sadly none at the moment, I've had one since they came out and there has never been support for tuners. This is supposed to be changing as they are now on Nougat but Nvidia are not reacting fast. If you google the Geforce forumes you'll find some threads on their with instructions on updating the bootloader to achieve support for limited makes of DVB tuners. I think we are a long way away from Satellite support.
    The HDHomerun has always been supported but I object to shelling out another £100 when the Shield was marketed as a one stop solution.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to obo110x For This Useful Post:

pablo102 (07-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    It's very promising what they doing over geforce and xda forums.

So it looks like I will have to buy a box, but it would be great if I could operate all the equipment from shield homescreen.
    Would you be able to recommend any suitable solution for me? I'm in Ireland and there are Saorview combi boxes available (for free to air Irish and UK channels), but I would prefer VU box. Can I make it to work the same way as Saorview combi?

Or can I make HDHomerun to work with Irish and UK free to air channels?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    A Vu+ receiver would be capable of receiving the Saorview channels, I take it these are satellite channels?. I highly recommend the VU+ Solo 2. As for HD Homerun that will receive free to air via an ariel so no satellite support. Also with the Shield TV I'd recommend connecting direct to the TV if you can. My cabling was already in the walls so I can't connect directly and must have bought 4 HDMI switches but none have managed to cope with the Shield at full 4K output.

Title
    Thanks

Nvidia Shield + tuner. What to buy?

No, Saorview channels are aerial but UK channels are satellite, so the box must be combo, it this case Homerun will not be suitable?
    There are few other boxes here, but I've heard that VU are great, so I'd like to try them first:
    Xxxxxxx
    Last edited by pablo102; 08-03-17 at 23:55.

Title
    Thanks
    can't link there but the models include:
    Revez HDTS810 44eu
    Revez Nano
    Amiko Mini 90eu
    Ferguson Ariva 153
    Ferguson Ariva 253
    Golden Media Hypercube Triple Tuner 120eu
    Ferguson Ariva 4K Combo 150eu
    Amiko Alien 2 Triple Plus 200eu

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Amiko are not supported here and probably some of the other models you mention. Just had a quick look in the sponsors shop and theres a nice Octagon SF228 going at £139 which should fit the bill.
    http://http://www.world-of-satellite...nd-1x-dvb-s-s2

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you, sounds great, but what tuner do I need to order to have satellite and air tv channels?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Looking again at the sponsors shop the link I provided gives you a model with DVB-S2 for your satellite and includes a hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 for your air tv. If your unsure give them a bell they will be happy to help. Always great service from WoS.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to obo110x For This Useful Post:

pablo102 (27-03-17)