Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Openwebif Mobile, VLC Mobile and IOS

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Openwebif Mobile, VLC Mobile and IOS

I would like to reliably stream from my VuPlus Solo2 to iPhone 6 on my LAN (wirelessly)

I have tried Plex channel addin DreamMultimedia on Plex Server, and I have also tried Vu+PlayerHD, and either transcoding is happening on the Plex server - which in my case is not too powerful and constantly breaks up :-( OR I just get the audio stream on Vu+PlayerHD app (very hit and miss and rarely I seem to briefly get a transcoded video stream that lags and stutters). My home network is reasonable wireless AC with two repeaters for coverage.

Anyway, using either mobile IOS Chrome or Safari, openwebif mobile is really really responsive on my phone; when I hit play however I just get a blank "black" stream page with the "play" button in centre, and nothing happens.

It is a quick step to copy the stream url and paste the m3u stream url address into the network stream address bar of VLC and then open the stream. The stream quality is good - very happy and can watch away.

I would like to either get the stream in one of the mobile IOS browsers OR (preferably) I would like to automatically open IOS VLC from the openwebif mobile page from the browser? Maybe I am asking too much - it would be nice to make the integration seamless, but having spent time googling I am afraid I cant work out how to achieve this? As an aside, is it possible to turn off the transcoding feature on the ViX image (reason to force mobile apps to use the non transcoded stream)?

Help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I use the Vu+PlayerHD app on my iPhone 6 and it works flawlessly for me. Have you tried changing your transcoding settings on the box.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks - transcoding set to 400kbs bitrate and 50fps framerate. I also have the video setting of the VuSolo2 set to 1080p "multi" refresh rate for 65" TV as upscaling is good. The Vu+PlayerHD app seems to insist on transcoded source from port 8002, that is why I asked if transcoding could be disabled.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    In Trancoding plugin, what have you got your advanced settings at. I.e resolution, video codec GOP frame.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You could uninstall the plugin but I don't think it will work without plugin. I might be wrong.
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    In Trancoding plugin, what have you got your advanced settings at. I.e resolution, video codec GOP frame.
    @Ashley69 - the only settings I can see are transcoding set to 400kbs bitrate and 50fps framerate. I cannot find any "advanced" settings for the ViX transcoding plugin that allows for codec or GOP frame? Please help if you know? Indeed as far as I am concerned I never changed the defaults! I am guessing though, that my 1080p video codec setting is making a lot of work for the VuSolo2?

Back to the original question - does anyone know how to pass the OpenWebif Mobile stream to mobile VLC from any browser on IOS device (iPhone 6). I can do manually, and the "uncompressed" stream works seamlessly. By default, it seems to me Vu+PlayerHD app wants the transcoded stream, and this is not selectable in the app itself? For some reason, my stream breaks up or is upwards of 5/6 seconds behind real time signal if I do get, but recently I am only getting audio.

Thanks again for reading

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Menu/plugins/transcoding setup/ blue button for advanced menu
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    Menu/plugins/transcoding setup/ blue button for advanced menu
    @Ashley69 - thanks for reply. I have ViX BMC 1080 Confluence skin. Afraid "Blue" button not listed as option; when "Blue" pressed I do not get "X" disallowed, but nothing happens! Thanks anyway, I will try a different skin when kids not watching!!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpark View Post
    @Ashley69 - thanks for reply. I have ViX BMC 1080 Confluence skin. Afraid "Blue" button not listed as option; when "Blue" pressed I do not get "X" disallowed, but nothing happens! Thanks anyway, I will try a different skin when kids not watching!!
    I reverted to the "standard" skin ViX HD night. There is no "Blue" button available for advanced transcoding options on my VuSolo2 (only Red, Green and Yellow options)?

Back to the original question - does anyone know how to pass the OpenWebif Mobile m3u stream to mobile VLC from any browser on an IOS device?

The none transcoded stream from openwebif mobile works flawlessly when I copy and paste it into mobile VLC. This tells me I have no problem with the wifi bandwidth, so I must deduce that my generation 1 VuSolo2 is not capable of transcoding the video stream settings I have - 1080p and multi frequency - output to my TV? Streaming the "native" uncompressed openwebif content to Mac OS or PC's is no problem. Any comments help appreciated, thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpark View Post

Back to the original question - does anyone know how to pass the OpenWebif Mobile m3u stream to mobile VLC from any browser on an IOS device?
    Doing a bit of reading, it seems this feature may be "in the works" for VLC mobile see here from the videolan forum.

Looks like it will be "copy and paste" for now!

Can anyone advise if Transcoding is easier or harder on the VuSolo2 if you select a higher or lower level of compression i.e. is the default of 400kbs bitrate easier or harder for the box to achieve than 1Mbs? Finally, is there a "blue" button option for resolution, video codec GOP frame as mentioned by @Ashley69 for latest version of ViX, or does this depend in the receiver family capability? I do not seem to be able to access this feature. Thanks all.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well, doesn't look like there is much interest in this thread!

For the "curtain call" I see tonight on 22 Feb 2016 with release 1.4.2 for iPhone of Vu+PlayerHD it now supports BOTH live and transcoded streams, as well as some 4k VU players

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why you are not able to access the advanced menu for transcoding.
    I presumed the solo plus had hardware transcoding.
    Edision OS MINI,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

sigpark (24-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I seem to remember when I had A solo2 the vu+ player HD was not any good.
    I used vu+ player instead, I think it was hardware related, I now use the duo2 faultless over LAN and outside of LAN

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vu+-...464748065?mt=8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to easymo3 For This Useful Post:

sigpark (24-02-17)