Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SSD v HDD (Internal Option)

Title
    Thanks

SSD v HDD (Internal Option)

Afternoon All

Just a general question regarding adding an internal hard drive within a modern sat receiver for recording TV programs and epg data.

Are there any so called "performance" benefits be those, reliability, cost, or speed improvements when deciding on adding internal SSD or a standard HDD drive not least as the costs of SSD are not so prohibitive now as in the past.

Regards
    John.

Title
    Thanks
    theres no real benefit in using a SSD.
    standard HDD should have a better lifespan than SSD.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to roy0110 For This Useful Post:

John57 (12-02-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John57 View Post
    Afternoon All

Just a general question regarding adding an internal hard drive within a modern sat receiver for recording TV programs and epg data.

Are there any so called "performance" benefits be those, reliability, cost, or speed improvements when deciding on adding internal SSD or a standard HDD drive not least as the costs of SSD are not so prohibitive now as in the past.

Regards
    John.
    Comparable cost?? You may want to fit a 2T byte+ hard disk to a PVR and you will be hard pressed to find a SSD of this size for £70

PVR functionality only requires the lowest hard disk performance (speed wise) even when recording 8+ programs. To record a HD program only requires around 2G bytes per hour whereas the cache RAM of a hard disk can handle 2G bytes in a couple of seconds. The recommendation for hard disks is for a low spin speed and low power HDD to keep the heat and noise down.

I doubt that there is any benefit from installing a SSD.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

garryboy (12-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    roy0110 /adm

Thank you both for your input updating to a SSD does not seem to warrant the extra cost when you really can secure a standard HDD for around £70.
    I find your recommendation really sensible "The recommendation for hard disks is for a low spin speed and low power HDD to keep the heat and noise down.

Once again, many, many thanks
    John

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roy0110 View Post
    standard HDD should have a better lifespan than SSD.
    Is that right?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Is that right?
    I wouldn't have thought so personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I use SSD's because they don't generate any heat or noise. I record to a NAS mainly anyway.

Title
    Thanks
    From what I have read SSD "should" have a better life span then a standard HDD because it has no moving parts sort of makes sense

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

John57 (12-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Ashley69

I really good link, many thanks for sharing.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John57 View Post
    From what I have read SSD "should" have a better life span then a standard HDD because it has no moving parts sort of makes sense
    SSDs have a limited number of erase/write cycles and in older SSD devices there may have been problems with the life expectancy compared to that of a traditional HDD. Modern SSD should not have these problems unless perhaps you have a habit of filling the majority if the disk with recordings that you want to keep for a long time leaving only a small portion for day to day temporary recordings etc. The wear algorithms on these disks try and average out the number of erase/writes to each block of memory so that one area of the memory doesn't reach its erase limit before another.

Both types of disks are likely to outlast the life of the box - people send their boxes to landfill when upgrading to something better/different as the technology moves on. I guess that power supply problems are more likely to determine the death of both types of disks more than day to day PVR use over a period of many years.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

John57 (12-02-17),Willo3092 (12-02-17)